First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
First time posting. I thought I would give a quick review of towing a boat behind the bronco.

I received my OBX 4cyl model a few weeks ago. It arrived relatively quickly compare to some; around 3 months. I was unable to order multiple options I wanted when I bought it due to Ford not allowing me to order options that they were having issues with and included: 2.7 V6, hard top, and towing package. Obviously didn't upgrade the engine or the top, but did install a hitch and the wiring myself. I used the Draw-Tite hitch part #76527 and the wiring harness Ttekonsha TK99VR ordered from Etrailer. The hitch was very easy to install. The wiring harness was a bit more involved due to removing plastic panels to access tail lights and also requires a power wire (just have it running from remote wire on my amp, also did a stereo upgrade). Still relatively easy to install.

The boat I am pulling is a 1987 20' Seaway that was a family project and completely rebuilt over a period of 2 years. It has a 2020 200hp Mercury 4 stroke and a Stainless Marine bracket on it. The original hull was 1800 pounds, guess 2100 after bracket and rebuilt floor, transom, and stringers. Motor around 500 and added three trolling motor batteries, probably 200 more. With trailer estimating right at 3500 pounds, maxing out the towing capacity.

I am in Illinois, so very flat. Took the rig 20 miles to put in the local river with my wife and 3 kids. The suspension felt very good, a smooth ride. I would say maybe just slightly more sway than towing with our Pathfinder with 5,000 pound capacity, but almost undetectable. I did not feel that the engine was laboring (keep in mind flat ground here) and the Bronco pulled the boat out of the ramp very easily with no tire spin even though I had it in 2H.

I would have not reservations about using the bronco to tow a double axle trailer (don't know about a high sided box trailer or camper) up to 3,500 pounds with the 4 cyl. based on my experience. Keep in mind this is flat ground. If I was in the mountains, assuming it would be a different story.

Hopefully I helped anyone that was thinking of towing with their Bronco. I will also be towing behind an RV and have already did some other upgrades including full stereo upgrade and in process of prepping for flat towing (already installed Blue Ox baseplates).

Justin

bronco towing boat.jpg
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pretty sure everyone is in agreement that the limiting factor for towing is the rear suspension. The Ranger has the same engine and is rated at 7500 lbs.

Towing that long a trailer might be a bit "sporty" in a short wheelbase 2-door though.

Dogstyle

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Sport 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First time posting. I thought I would give a quick review of towing a boat behind the bronco.

I received my OBX 4cyl model a few weeks ago. It arrived relatively quickly compare to some; around 3 months. I was unable to order multiple options I wanted when I bought it due to Ford not allowing me to order options that they were having issues with and included: 2.7 V6, hard top, and towing package. Obviously didn't upgrade the engine or the top, but did install a hitch and the wiring myself. I used the Draw-Tite hitch part #76527 and the wiring harness Ttekonsha TK99VR ordered from Etrailer. The hitch was very easy to install. The wiring harness was a bit more involved due to removing plastic panels to access tail lights and also requires a power wire (just have it running from remote wire on my amp, also did a stereo upgrade). Still relatively easy to install.

The boat I am pulling is a 1987 20' Seaway that was a family project and completely rebuilt over a period of 2 years. It has a 2020 200hp Mercury 4 stroke and a Stainless Marine bracket on it. The original hull was 1800 pounds, guess 2100 after bracket and rebuilt floor, transom, and stringers. Motor around 500 and added three trolling motor batteries, probably 200 more. With trailer estimating right at 3500 pounds, maxing out the towing capacity.

I am in Illinois, so very flat. Took the rig 20 miles to put in the local river with my wife and 3 kids. The suspension felt very good, a smooth ride. I would say maybe just slightly more sway than towing with our Pathfinder with 5,000 pound capacity, but almost undetectable. I did not feel that the engine was laboring (keep in mind flat ground here) and the Bronco pulled the boat out of the ramp very easily with no tire spin even though I had it in 2H.

I would have not reservations about using the bronco to tow a double axle trailer (don't know about a high sided box trailer or camper) up to 3,500 pounds with the 4 cyl. based on my experience. Keep in mind this is flat ground. If I was in the mountains, assuming it would be a different story.

Hopefully I helped anyone that was thinking of towing with their Bronco. I will also be towing behind an RV and have already did some other upgrades including full stereo upgrade and in process of prepping for flat towing (already installed Blue Ox baseplates).

Justin

Ford Bronco Bronco 2.3 4cyl OBX towing boat- max weight (tow report) bronco towing boat
Thanks for the info.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Pretty sure everyone is in agreement that the limiting factor for towing is the rear suspension. The Ranger has the same engine and is rated at 7500 lbs.
One would think so by now, but then you go on the B6G Facebook group...

Only disagreement I have here is that the non-sas BBs, OBXs, and maybe even BDs may have been limited somewhat by the reciever setup too. If that is the case then using a Braptor style reciever in future MYs doesn't necessarily mean that the GCWR would increase, but the TC and - perhaps more importantly - the allowable tongue weight may go up towards the 4000lb/400lb range depending on the trim.

Gamecock2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Justin

Ford Bronco Bronco 2.3 4cyl OBX towing boat- max weight (tow report) bronco towing boat
how long of a hitch ball extender did you have to use for the boat trailer?

Sponsored

JFindysz

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco reservation
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good to hear that the car does alright with it at full capacity. I’ve been wanting to get an aluminum car trailer with a double axle to tow my mustangs if needed. The main car I’d be be towing is approx 2400 lbs, which would allow me to get a trailer that’s 1000 lbs.

Meshyf

Big Bend
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Towing that long a trailer might be a bit "sporty" in a short wheelbase 2-door though.
Sporty 🤣

Slick85

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Justin

To tow a boat trailer do you need a wiring harness with the 4 or 7 way adapter?

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I always though the brakes would be a limiting factor to towing capacity. That and the suspension, since the engine has plenty of power so it can't be that.

Sponsored

427Comet

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super duty, 65 comet cyclone
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Different transmission than the ranger has

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Boat trailers have surge brakes which makes braking cool, but you need the back up (reverse tail light) wire to lock out the reversing solenoid. This only Comes on a 5 way flat or 7 way round. Hence why I refuse to drop the tow and do some other silly hack as I’ve done in the past. I did that crap with cheap cars and wire extenders for long trailer days.

mintypickleman

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"I received my OBX 4cyl model a few weeks ago. It arrived relatively quickly compare to some; around 3 months"

Relatively quick?!? My dude, I think you set the world record for fastest order to delivered bronco.

Nice boat too almost matches the Area 51

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Different transmission than the ranger has
But same as the Explorer, which has higher GCWR and tow capacity than all Bronco trims. And that's just the 10A, completely discounting the 7M.
Sponsored