Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm assuming the reason why you would prime after an oil change, but not first thing in the morning after your vehicle's been sitting all night, is because of the oil filter being empty?

In all my vehicles, if the oil filter hangs down I pre-fill before installing. But I can see doing this When replacing the filter.

Person have never done it on any of my vehicles because it does just take very little time for the oil filter to fill up and there's residual oil in the engine.
Sponsored

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Strictly speaking I think the dry cranking function is a little excessive for an oil change, there's still plenty of residual oil coating things assuming it was run remotely recently, and the engine isn't going to start trading metal within itself in the couple seconds it takes the oil system to move everything around. I'd wager you put more wear on the engine starting it in the wintertime or after it has sat for a few weeks than you do starting it after an oil change.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is oil priming even necessary on these engines? After an oil change some oil remains on parts that require it, and upon starting the engine oil begins circulating within a few seconds I would imagine. It’s a cool idea but is the primary function for clearing flooded cylinders (does this even happen with fuel injected engines?) and folks have just started using it to do an oil prime that isn’t even necessary? It would be good to hear from an actual Ford tech on this.
Necessary? Probably pretty negligible, as you stated residual oil film will do the job of protecting parts for a few seconds. That said I still prefill filters when I can (I now it's impossible on both the 2.7 and 2.3) cause I feel better having oil flowing as fast as possible under the least amount of load. You can be damn sure quick lube places won't "prime" the oil system after a change and I doubt Ford techs do either.

As to flooding a modern EFI engine. Possible, but very rare. It can happen under a couple conditions off the top of my head: A) Leaky/bad injectors B)Poor fuel pressure that doesn't atomize the spray and C) temp sensor that thinks the engine is stone cold and uses an overly rich fuel mixture can flood and EFI. I'm sure there's a few more but as stated it's a rare phenomena that modern engine flood compared to carburetors.

OP
OP
Bronco wild outdoors

Bronco wild outdoors

Badlands
First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
drivenwildgear.com
Vehicle(s)
17 f 250, 66 mustang GT, 91 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

O M G !!!! what a winded video .... i needed to PUSH myself HARD to finish watching this fkng thing
Thanks for watching! It's not for everyone, as I tried to answer all of the regular questions.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for watching! It's not for everyone, as I tried to answer all of the regular questions.
You did fine. Personally you got into some details that I didn't care about and already knew, but there's this really cool invention called fast forward :)

There's even a speed setting where you can watch videos faster yet you can still make out what people are saying and wait until they get to the point you care about.

Complaining is requirement as part of B6G 🤣
Sponsored