Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cha cha cha… yes, once upon a time…
For a bit there Ford owned parts of Jag, Aston Marton, Mazda and Land Rover. Sold off their chunk of Land Rover and Jag to Ta Ta motors in the early 2000s.
Sponsored

Ohenry

Big Bend
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What were the build dates for these Broncos with supposedly bad valve problems?
My current 2017 F150 2.7 the had to replays all them at 24k miles! The reason is most mornings I could see smoke out of the exhaust and they tried to replace a few things but it kept coming back. The last time was the heads and it has been fine. I asked if I could put in a catch (which is on the 2018) can and they said it would void my warranty so I asked for a new 2018 motor and they said no.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well, I don't want to get stranded, but as long as Ford replaces the motor in a reasonable amount of time, then it's all good. It would be helpful to know whether or not I was in a suspect batch, not to bitch or complain, but so I could plan accordingly.
I totally agree and I think knowing the issue is not only fair but valuable. Don't you think it would be better for to forum and our community for the OP to tell us this story AFTER he heard from the dealership, when information is gleaned, shared, and can be learned from? Unfortunately, we will have 7+ pages of banter before anything valuable is shared.

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Duuuuuude, that sucks. Not what i want to hear, but thanks for sharing. That's my nightmare

Which Engine?
What super blows is when folks (you don't know) start climbing all over your rig to fix, lose a clip here, a screw there, sit in, test drive and fart in your rig so the "warranty" can be honored. So annoying. These idiots at the dealership will have more total seat time than a lot of this guys family members..

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My current 2017 F150 2.7 the had to replays all them at 24k miles! The reason is most mornings I could see smoke out of the exhaust and they tried to replace a few things but it kept coming back. The last time was the heads and it has been fine. I asked if I could put in a catch (which is on the 2018) can and they said it would void my warranty so I asked for a new 2018 motor and they said no.
"Sir what can we do to help?" " Just get me a 2018 motor so I don't have to keep coming in here." Reply, "Yea, we can't do that. Is there anything else we can do for you sir?" Grrrrr :(

Sponsored

Ohenry

Big Bend
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I totally agree and I think knowing the issue is not only fair but valuable. Don't you think it would be better for to forum and our community for the OP to tell us this story AFTER he heard from the dealership, when information is gleaned, shared, and can be learned from? Unfortunately, we will have 7+ pages of banter before anything valuable is shared.
My thought is they fixed it in 2018 and that is the learning bit. lol

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Every time I see a post like this just makes me question the reliability of American cars and makes me hesitate on getting the new Bronco

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Aggravating that couple members chime-in w "It happens" -
That's BS - we don't need apologistas rushing over to tell us that -

The Question is - How Often does it Happen w Broncos -

Remember this msg from Ford Service Technician - "about thirty in the last month" - posted couple weeks ago in B6G -

Ford Bronco Bronco (2.7 engine) shut off on highway, left me on the side of the road 2.7L Fails - Ford Svc Tech - posted 2021.Oct.28

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And if this posted breakdown turns out to be a software or sensor issue, all this ”2.7 motor bad ” chatter loses some traction.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And if this posted breakdown turns out to be a software or sensor issue, all this ”2.7 motor bad ” chatter loses some traction.
Yep, 100% true.

Unfortunately, Ford has been really very tightlipped about the matter. I don't mind if they had a bad batch of valves slip through (sure, they can tighten QA on that in the future) but that's a truly unusual and unexpected failure on a reasonably well known component (nothing cutting edge).

If it's not a problem, then they could come forward and clarify. That would be nice too.

Sponsored

Sweetair

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SHO, 03 Marauder, '69 S Code XR7 vert Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This concerning to hear about the 2.7 as that is what I ordered on 10/13/21. I'm not an original reservation but a new addition to the Bronco ordering and excitement. Is it possible that the sitting on Dirt Mountain for as long as they did, have anything to do with it??

yogi_stvl

Base
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was on a day trip out of town today and my Bronco let me down. We were on the interstate travelling around 78 mph, and the engine just turned off! The engine light came on and luckily I had could still steer and had brakes. Fortunately....very fortunately, I was less than 1/4 mile from exit ramp to a rest area, and going down a hill. I was able to coast it into the rest area into a parking spot.

I first tried to restart the engine. The engine would crank, but not start. I then got a message that stated something to the affect of "accessories are on". My next step was to disconnect the battery to reboot the computers. As luck would have it, one of the sockets in the included tool kit fits the nut holding the battery cable to the battery. I removed the cable for several minutes then tightened back onto the battery....no luck! My next step was to pull the cover off the fuse box. I checked all the fuses and they were tight.....no luck! I then tried to start the Bronco from the Ford app....no luck!

Stranded at the rest area, I then called Ford Road Side Service. I got someone right away who stated they would get a wrecker service to me and have it towed to the nearest Ford dealer. I then asked if they were going to arrange for a rental car for me. Of course they stated "they don't do that". After that I lost my cool and I'm sure I said some things I shouldn't have! My girlfriend then took the phone from me at that point!

Within a few minutes the wrecker driver called me and assured me he was on the way and would be there within 40 minutes. The driver was super nice and helpful. He was even kind enough to drop off my girlfriend at the rental car business on the way to the Ford dealer. We then proceeded to drop off my Bronco at the closed Ford dealer. Within minutes my girlfriend showed up with the rental car, and we continued our day.

I will be curious to hear what the dealership finds out with the Bronco and will update this post. I am also hoping that I get reimbursed for the rental car and I don't have to driver 1.5 hours back to the dealership to pick up the Bronco....will fight to have it delivered back to my dealership.

Ford Bronco Bronco (2.7 engine) shut off on highway, left me on the side of the road 2.7L Fails - Ford Svc Tech - posted 2021.Oct.28
Same thing happened to me bro. Dropped a valve and wrecked the whole engine. The dealership got another 2.7L from a dealership in Wisc... that engine failed too. Finally they received a brand new 2.7L from Ford directly. I was in a rental for 1-1/2 months. Got it back and it runs great. Just going to stress that engine to make sure it doesn't shit the bed. Good luck

BroncoDudeFE

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Same thing happened to me bro. Dropped a valve and wrecked the whole engine. The dealership got another 2.7L from a dealership in Wisc... that engine failed too. Finally they received a brand new 2.7L from Ford directly. I was in a rental for 1-1/2 months. Got it back and it runs great. Just going to stress that engine to make sure it doesn't shit the bed. Good luck
That really sucks. Were there any warning signs we should look out for prior to the engine taking a crap (sounds, shakes, etc)? So far so good with my FE but I only have like 700 miles. Good thing I kept my 2009 Armada with 180k miles (never left me stranded since day one).

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So less than 30 (+/- between here and the other forums) of the how many thousands of Broncos that have been produced this year, have had this issue, and everyone is getting all wound up? I saw a comment in one of the posts a few weeks ago that it was supposedly narrowed down to a bad batch of parts in a group of engines built in April. Shortly after, the member was muted, assuming Ford stepped in and had Doug silence them since there has been no formal verification. (i'd post a screen shot, but I don't want the boot)
Lets say there were 10 thousand built so far, at a 50% take rate, even though the 2.7L is probably higher than that compared to the 2.3L, that's 5,000. Raise the dropped valve number to 50 units, and its still only a 1% issue. Everyone remain calm, there hasn't been an instance yet that i've heard of where Ford didn't fix the issue under warranty.
Go buy a clapped out SFA Fiat :poop: box if you're that up in arms about it. I'm sure the OP will have his engine replaced and back on the road before too long.
Sponsored