Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So, if our Bronco is suspect, what, if any, can we do to prevent or rectify the problem before it occurs?
Since it appears to be defective valves/valve train components, nothing really. Drive it and let it blow so they can replace under warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is my point. Threads like this abound on this forum and have very little information. This feeds a sense of misinformation and fear of the product that might not be rooted in reality.
And your contribution is somehow superior, not!
If you don’t like the post move on, I doubt anyone is in need of your “critique”! lol
🐴🐴🥌

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Since it appears to be defective valves/valve train components, nothing really. Drive it and let it blow so they can replace under warranty.
Then why is there 18 pages of BS about this? We’re all going to die someday and this is what people are worried about

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Then why is there 18 pages of BS about this? We’re all going to die someday and this is what people are worried about
Ya, but if you were told that we were all going to die at the age of 3, you might have a slightly different take on it.

Also, knowing that this is a possibility might inform travel plans some during the 1st 3,000 miles of ownership.

Off-roading or taking the vehicle to remote areas might be a little less remote initially. Like a trip through Nevada or the Mojave in the summer during the day might look less appealing when you have no A/C and are stuck.

Sure any vehicle can fail, but if you know the probability ahead of time, at least you are making an informed decision.

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ya, but if you were told that we were all going to die at the age of 3, you might have a slightly different take on it.

Also, knowing that this is a possibility might inform travel plans some during the 1st 3,000 miles of ownership.

Off-roading or taking the vehicle to remote areas might be a little less remote initially. Like a trip through Nevada or the Mojave in the summer during the day might look less appealing when you have no A/C and are stuck.

Sure any vehicle can fail, but if you know the probability ahead of time, at least you are making an informed decision.
Okay, I've been informed on page 1. What is there more to know? What has changed since? Is there any new information that will affect the outcome? I just think 18 pages of bitchng is a bit much.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Okay, I've been informed on page 1. What is there more to know? What has changed since? Is there any new information that will affect the outcome? I just think 18 pages of bitchng is a bit much.
I am primarily collecting data. Ya, this sucks for the OP, but the only thing you can do is see if you are in the range and make sure that you have a plan in advance. That's life... know the risks, mitigate the risks, and accept the risks that appear to be worthwhile.

The only thing that is being bitched about by me and many others, generally, is worth bitching about... That's the lack of communication from Ford. They have earned that bitching by sticking their head in the sand.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do we know if the issue is with the valve stem or the retainers. Because technically if it's the retainers, you can actually replace those. Just replace the valve the whole head has to come off.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do we know if the issue is with the valve stem or the retainers. Because technically if it's the retainers, you can actually replace those. Just replace the valve the whole head has to come off.
I think that it's separating at the head of the valve, but limited info, so I am unsure.

OP
OP
69 Mach I

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Makes me wonder if it is hitting the piston first and then breaking from the stem. VVT gone astray perhaps?
I will try to get more information from the dealership service manager the next time I talk to them. I have a feeling they're not going to be forthcoming with their information. If I had to guess, I'd say they don't want too much information to be released.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Makes me wonder if it is hitting the piston first and then breaking from the stem. VVT gone astray perhaps?
The rumor had been manufacturing defect in the valve (likely heat treat) causing the metal to be too brittle, and thus cracking/separating in a reasonable short period of time (under 3k miles) but not something that would result in an immediate failure.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will try to get more information from the dealership service manager the next time I talk to them. I have a feeling they're not going to be forthcoming with their information. If I had to guess, I'd say they don't want too much information to be released.
When my Volvo dropped a valve the service dept was happy to show me the block and head. They were getting paid.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The rumor had been manufacturing defect in the valve (likely heat treat) causing the metal to be too brittle, and thus cracking/separating in a reasonable short period of time (under 3k miles) but not something that would result in an immediate failure.
That would be a surprise as valve making tech goes back to the beginning of four stroke engines.
But in the Covid era anything is possible.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That would be a surprise as valve making tech goes back to the beginning of four stroke engines.
But in the Covid era anything is possible.
Bad parts happen in large scale mfg. They should be caught before they go in an engine, but sometimes they slip through.

Several years ago the mining company I work for bought 5 large mining trucks from Cat. The engine on one threw a rod at 5 or 6k hours, roughly 1/3 of its expected life. Cat was able to trace it back to a dull tool that was leaving a burr in the crankshaft oil galleries. In that amount of hours a burr would break off and go in to one of the rod bearings. They pretty quickly had a range of engines that had the issue figured out and a plan to address. The biggest difference was that they actually let us know what was going on!
Sponsored