Sponsored

Bronco 2.7 v6 and 10 speed auto - dependability and reliability?

Thomas1984

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do anyone know what this combination is like for dependability, Reliability, In other Ford vehicles?
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

F150s use these quite a bit. Research can start there.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have an f150 with both. Been great. My 2015 mustang had the 2.3. I will be getting the 2.7. No question.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't want to attribute incorrect information to another poster, but a regular contributor works as a technician. He has said that thankfully he hasn't had to work on the combination with any regularity. I interpreted that to mean that the combo is a tried and proven setup, but also that it is a fairly complex (10sp auto) tranny.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do anyone know what this combination is like for dependability, Reliability, In other Ford vehicles?
I think it is discussed pretty exhaustively in a bunch of threads, but my experience specifically had been excellent. I have the combo in my current F150 and have had it and the 5.0 in basically the same truck. I have had zero problems, power is awesome and fuel economy is also very good. Both noticeably better than the 5.0. I am at my cabin now and got 25.6 mpg with a light load this trip, average almost 80mph on the highway, combined with about the same miles (60 miles each) at 62 average mph on the balance of the trip. Lots of tuning potential, with tons of examples of 400+HP and 450 lb. ft. of torque with just programming and intake modifications. Add The combined DI and Port fuel injection, that avoids some of the problems with DI only motors (2.3 and 3.5 eco boost among lots of others) and you have a really nice power train. Just my experience and some well documented tuning performance. (Look on YouTube for some amazing Fusion Sport 2.7 quarter mile runs!).

Sponsored

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.7l is a tried and true engine. First debuted in the 2015 F-150. Was upgraded in 2018. The only people you will see bitching about the 2.7l is the dyed in the wool V-8 folks. I've seen people in the F-150 groups with 150k and more miles without an issue.

The ten speed has been around for a bit too. The thing I see people complaining about is it searched for gears way too much. But it is also a learning transmission and takes a while to learn your driving style.

I have absolutely zero worries about the combo. And can't wait to have another 2.7. One of the biggest things I miss from my former F-150.

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Only bitching i've seen on the 2.7 on f150 forums is the plastic oil pan leaking.

2018+ 5.0 on the other hand...sad, because it's a wonderful engine.

Hard Learner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F150 XL Supercab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only bitching i've seen on the 2.7 on f150 forums is the plastic oil pan leaking.

2018+ 5.0 on the other hand...sad, because it's a wonderful engine.
Any idea if there is an aftermarket oil pan one can upgrade to?

Sponsored

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
So far I haven’t replaced any 2.7L engines or 10 speed transmissions. I have replaced the turbos though, if you neglect the oil changes or use cheap oil it will clog the oil feed lines and the turbos will fail. I absolutely hate replacing those turbos. That’s the only major reliability problem I can think of for the 2.7.

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Any idea if there is an aftermarket oil pan one can upgrade to?
Yeah there is definitely one out there. Remember reading about it on here somewhere. They 'designed' it for Truck applications so theoretically it was fitting under skid plates even though it was increased capacity.

I think the plastic pan is actually fine, it was more of a seal or leak - i mean rtv works on differentials...don't think this is much of an issue to be honest
Sponsored