First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A Ford 2.3L 4 cylinder has been around a long time. My 1973 Pinto had a 2.3 4 cylinder. It was indestructible- Believe me, I tried. Pinto would go 93 mph. I know because I went through Michigan State Police radar on Southbound I-75 near Grayling late on a Sunday night. Cop was impressed, and gave me a ticket for 79 mph as a reward.
Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What is that black plastic device attached to the turbocharger? Is that an electronic boost control?
Electronic wastegate. Simpler and more reliable than the old vacuum tubes and solenoid methods, but may be more expensive if one does fail. I believe that they require the whole turbo to be replaced, but don't hold me to that. They are NOT adjustable, though.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looks decent enough stock, but start making more power and power falls off after 5500 RPM. Notice how there's almost no gain around 6000 RPM. Sure as hell is a torque monster, though.

1617625243716.png
True, but this is true of beefing up any motor with stock turbos. More power means more air means bigger turbos required. I was talking strictly stock to stock, the 2.7L Twins are better than the Twin Scroll 2.3L on the high end of the powerband.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Kind of strange it has aluminum heads, cast iron "block" for pistons, and aluminum lower block for crankshaft.
It is indeed an interesting design, the block is actually CGI, see @North7 and @Jette posts. They use a lower aluminum skirt for weight savings. Aluminum heads on cast block is nothing new though, been done for decades.

This is a very interesting motor. The block is two-piece, where the cylinders are iron and the bottom block is aluminum. Also, a top side filter access, european style. There is a lot packed and stacked on that engine plus the oil coolers. I can't wait to see the potential with upgraded turbos, but even a task as simple as removing the valve covers may not be easy.

The engine, is CGI, or Compacted Graphite Iron has been a Ford staple since 2014.

2.7L CGI discussion thread

leavetheironon-inline2-photo-587199-s-original-jpg.jpg

-Some fear/apprehension of turbos and turbo engine maintenance here. That's fine, just take it to your dealer. My turbos have been no less reliable or difficult to work on that the easy maintenance Toyota engines of the 80-90's.

-No worries about a composite oil pan. I'll have plenty of armor down there to protect it.

-Love the top mounted oil filter design. I may just pump my oil out during changes through the dip stick.

-The 2.7L was specifically designed for turbo usage and I thought I read where the 2.3L was not. Typically that means that beefing up turbos, intercoolers, computer mapping will help the 2.7L more than the 2.3L... at least that was the case on the 90's MR2 engines (3sGTE vs 5sFE). Not 100% about the 2.3L info. Adding turbos tot he 5sFE was not nearly as productive.
2.3L is a derivative of the MZR/L Blocks. They made them in a variety of displacements. Current and past models with turbo systems on these designs include: (2.0L) Focus ST, Escape, Edge, Fusion, FWD based Explorer, Bronco Sport. (2.3L) Focus RS, Mustang EcoBoost, Ranger, Explorer RWD/AWD. Mazda used their own version in the Speed 3.

The 2.3 can trace it roots back to Mazda. The cylinder block is the same block as the Mazda L3-VDT that was designed for turbo'd applications. The head, turbo, and VVT is a Ford design though.
Correct, MZR/Duratec derivatives.

A Ford 2.3L 4 cylinder has been around a long time. My 1973 Pinto had a 2.3 4 cylinder. It was indestructible- Believe me, I tried. Pinto would go 93 mph. I know because I went through Michigan State Police radar on Southbound I-75 near Grayling late on a Sunday night. Cop was impressed, and gave me a ticket for 79 mph as a reward.
The 2.3L in the Pinto was a different engine. It was of the Lima OHC engine family. The Bronco's engine is derived from the MZR/Duratec engine.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It is indeed an interesting design, the block is actually CGI, see @North7 and @Jette posts. They use a lower aluminum skirt for weight savings. Aluminum heads on cast block is nothing new though, been done for decades.
And some of the %$@#! early generation ones loved to blow head gaskets when the heads warped. 🤬 🤬 🤬

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Are tuners deleting EGR and their coolers on 2.7s and reprogramming the spark and fuel to compensate for the lack of inert gas under low load?
Most tuners won't be messing with the emissions devices since EPA has started cracking down on emissions tampering/tuning. Unless the engine has been modified with different cams, most tuning will take place at higher loads, as the factory has done a great job of driveability at lower speeds. Most often its fueling, timing, boost control and how fast the power enrichment comes on. I personally like to tune the transmission more. Outside of more boost, it is the single biggest thing a customer will notice! To your original question, if EGR was removed, additional fuel could be added (although fuel trims would cover the additional oxygen provided). Timing might need to be slightly reduced since the combustion charge would be hotter. For a daily driver, I would see no need to mess with the EGR system - they haven't been nearly as problematic as the diesel versions.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alternator location on the 2.3 & 2.7?

Scott2373

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford F150, '18 Wrangler Sahara, 08 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I figure these will come in handy later when people are trying to identify where things are located or what certain things are. Since it was a nice sunny day and no engine bay to get in the way, I took these for reference:

IMG_7469.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

IMG_7471.JPG

IMG_7472.JPG

IMG_7473.JPG

IMG_7474.JPG

IMG_7476.JPG

IMG_7477.JPG

IMG_7478.JPG

IMG_7479.JPG

IMG_7480.JPG

IMG_7481.JPG

IMG_7482.JPG
I love my 2.7 and would get only this engine in the Bronc, but I'm a little miffed that they downtuned it to 310 HP. It's 325 in my F150. Not sure why that 15 HP made such a difference.

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1617555754265.jpeg

cute

+
1617555954809.jpeg

=
scary
Whatever that bottom pic is, it has dual water to air inter coolers going on there. 2.7 uses air to air. Stop spreading scare monger false pictures.

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What's your Reservation date? That makes a difference. I definitely think Sasquatch and 2.7 will cause a delay but I doubt it will be that long. If so I would wait as well. I'm a July 29th Reservation.
Mine was July 15th.
Sponsored