Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Very nice Kelly. Also, I take it the oil filter is under than domed cap on top of the engine just over the main belt pully.
Sponsored

Bronco Don

Black Diamond
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is that the oil filter right on top in the front? I hope so that would be great just like my Tacoma, oil change in less than five minutes

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A few thoughts:
-The oil pressure sensor sure is easy to get to, right next to the right valve cover.
-The positioning of the crank speed sensor off of the flexplate is interesting to me. They don't go bad often in the 21st century but removing the trans to replace one may make a few unlucky people sour.
-Electronic wastegates are simpler and more reliable than spring-actuated. Good deal.
-Cooled EGR. Real results for real-world fuel economy gains. Does add in a few more things that needs to be cleaned, though. Hopefully they made it out of stainless steel and not aluminum (ask Cummins how well that worked out for them).
-Electric EGR valves are the way to go and it's nice that it's right on top.
-Plastic oil pans are nice to have, especially if you do your own maintenance.
-Speaking of maintenance, that oil filter location is awesome.
-BIG AND BEEFY oil cooler!
-Is that an EGT sensor by the left turbo that I see? It's a temp sensor of some sort.
-HPFP on the rear of the right head will be a PITA to change out. I like the placement on the 2.3L more (on top of the valve cover).
-Dat sweet, sweet CGI block will be amazing at holding more boost.
-Tiny turbos for quick response, but likely no top end.
-Easy access to coolant thermostat.
-Hopefully the timing chain actually does last the life of the engine, because it looks like it'll be a b!t¢ℌ to change out.
-Whatever that plastic coolant manifold is that's hiding in the valley scares me. You're talking about the removal of the low-pressure and high-pressure fuel systems as well as the intake just to get to it.

Last edited:
First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 4runner V8, 06 Wrangler LJ, 15 Wrangler JKUR...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1617555754265.jpeg

cute

+
1617555954809.jpeg

=
scary
The engine on the bottom is not the 2.7 just to be clear. That looks to be a German turbo engine, and they are always way more complicated than necessary.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The engine on the bottom is not the 2.7 just to be clear. That looks to be a German turbo engine, and they are always way more complicated than necessary.
Yeahhh it's been mentioned more than numerous times that it's an Audi motor. Buuutttt, reading actual posts seems to be beyond many in this board. That or they just like spreading the bullshit! Who knows! 🙂

Sponsored

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I long for the days I could rebuild the top end in my garage in a weekend, I will be lucky to change the oil on this bitch!
Shoot! Oil will be EASY for most! Suck it right out the dipstick tube with a pump and spin off the filter. You won't even have to get under the truck!!!!!!!

Ope! Here come the guys that need to get EVERY LAST DROP of oil out! Keep er movin'.....

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

-The positioning of the crank speed sensor off of the flywheel is interesting to me. They don't go bad often in the 21st century but removing the trans to replace one may make a few unlucky people sour.
Looks like it will pull straight out as it's locate in the block. Now it is REALLY long, so hopefully there isn't a bunch of disassembly around the engine to get it out.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looks like it will pull straight out as it's locate in the block. Now it is REALLY long, so hopefully there isn't a bunch of disassembly around the engine to get it out.
I'm not optimistic of that whatsoever with the positioning of the head.

Laddyaddy19

Black Diamond
First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima, Evo X, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Im going to laugh in a few years when people are able to turn the 2.3 into a monster or something crazy that cant be done with the 2.7. I am not saying this is going to happen, but thats how things ironically seem to turn out. Watch the 2.3 somehow become the desired motor long term....
It’s possible but not probable. I have a 2.7 in my f150 and I have also drove a 2.3 explorer for a good chunk of time. I understand the f150 is heavier but even with that said I don’t think it will be a huge difference in power. I simply chose the 2.3 for up front cost savings. I’m actually expecting the 2.7 to get better mpg than the 2.3 in the long run. My truck gets better mpg than that explorer did for some reason.. maybe others could chime in. Both should be fine powerplants. I don’t think it will matter for resale which motor you have.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
....wheres the flux capacitor?
I'm just glad to see a dipstick. So many manufacturer's moving away from allowing the owner to reasonably service their own vehicle is disappointing.

My expectations are low for having one on the trans.

Sponsored

Killed By Death

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A picture speaks louder than words!!! Twin turbos and WAY LESS plumbing, kinda eye catching actually.

Ford Bronco Bronco 2.7L Engine Pictures From Moab IMG_1155

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I figure these will come in handy later when people are trying to identify where things are located or what certain things are. Since it was a nice sunny day and no engine bay to get in the way, I took these for reference:

Thanks ! Now I’m convinced to buy an extended warranty. Tubes and sensors and wires. Ugh..

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We'll have a better idea in May when they release estimated delivery time frames. But over 60% of orders are for the 2.7 Ecoboost. So it very well may be a bit of a delay.
I was doing 2.7 BadLands Sasquatch and the second I mentioned squatch and 2.7 the dealer said my order would be "probably be built sometime in summer 2022". There was no hesitation on his behalf at all even when I pressed as to how he would know that until all orders were in and ford made that notification. He was absolute in his response. That was part of the reason I decided to cancel and just wait to see how this may work out in future years.

AHop

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 F250 Highboy, '96 Miata M-Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Excellent photos, thank you.

For all your F-150 2.7 people, has Ford sorted out the design problems with the plastic oil pans? I believe I read they can crack and leak, what is the full story?
That was fixed years ago. Early 2.7s had an RTV seal and it leaked a ton. In 2018 that was switched out for a composite pan that had a molded rubber gasket. That fixed the leaking problems pretty much completely.
Sponsored