First Name
Ter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was a little anxious, being that my bronco was in production for a little bit longer than I wanted. But at this point……. They can keep it for another 6 months… at least until they get all of the kinks out. I don’t need the headache right now.
Sponsored

ARETE

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So sorry to hear your Bronco is having these issues and you being stuck in limbo. Hopefully it's a quick resolution from the shop.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The modern electronics and sensors provide nice efficient control of combustion and management with low maintenance - when they work.

I loved my old 1970 CJ-5 because as long as I did some basic maintenance, it was ultra reliable. Never any lights or sensors flash. With carburetor I could basically swap the fuel deliver system if needed in 20 minutes.

Miss that old rig. Currently dealing with a damn trouble code light on my later model TJ. :(
Just be glad you aren’t chasing down your dwell on that AMC distributor. I have wrenched on cars for more than 30 years. Simple was good……and bad 😄

OP
OP
Matthew

Matthew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Bronco, 77 Bronco, 04 F150, 15 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hopefully I will hear good news from the dealer today. As of 1:30pm Friday the harness hadn't arrived yet but claimed it was to be delivered that day. I didn't hear anything else from them. I will check back today around noon.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some people on this forum equate new technology and more of it to just being bad. I've never heard anything more "boomer". :ROFLMAO:
Actually more of a Gen-X notion, we bridge the gap from analog to digital and understand the more complex a system, the more fragile it becomes. Old tube amplifiers would take a power surge that would kill a new transistor 100000 times over (and that is very conservative), even a few Joules of stray power would smoke the modern stuff and leave you stranded. A vehicle touted to take you into the wild might very well be better served by a more basic and robust control system for the bits that actually move you.

Sponsored

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When all vehicles are hy breds they won't be any simpler or reliable. Lots of electronics that all have to be in working order because they are all part of the smog system. If it fails in your driveway no big deal. On the Rubicon is another issue.

OP
OP
Matthew

Matthew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I got a call around 9:30 that my Bronco is done. I am sure it is just one or more of the tiny pins was messed up on the cable as was stated here.

Unfortunately I bet my Bronco is now parked outside the showroom to attract attention, and I can't leave early to go get it!

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Today's electronics.....
All great ideas that don't work.
Sorry to hear about this and hope it's fixed soon. Appreciate you sharing the info.
damn electronics that suck and never work (types on electronic device, communicates with people all over the globe in a matter of seconds, and message will be forever stored on the cloud).

Yeah, they suck.

OP
OP
Matthew

Matthew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I got my Bronco back last night, and they confirmed pin problem in the wiring to the RCM. However the replacement cable from Ford had a different connector than what mine was built with they said, so they had to get the corresponding updated part as well, which I do not know what that included. Regardless, the airbag light issue is fixed. Unfortunately the CEL came on again on my way home.

I pulled the codes when I got home and found:
Code: P2096 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1
Code: P2098 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2

I called the dealer back and they are supposed to contact me "first thing" this morning to let me know what they are going to do.

Attachments

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So I got my Bronco back last night, and they confirmed pin problem in the wiring to the RCM. However the replacement cable from Ford had a different connector than what mine was built with they said, so they had to get the corresponding updated part as well, which I do not know what that included. Regardless, the airbag light issue is fixed. Unfortunately the CEL came on again on my way home.

I pulled the codes when I got home and found:
Code: P2096 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1
Code: P2098 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2

I called the dealer back and they are supposed to contact me "first thing" this morning to let me know what they are going to do.
I really wonder if there is unmetered air getting into the system after the MAF sensor.

Sponsored

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry this is happening, please keep us updated.

OP
OP
Matthew

Matthew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have dropped my bronco back off at the dealer, so they can try to get the Ford engineer to look at it with them. I understand that I have my Bronco and I should be happy and all because so many are still waiting, some even waiting on a VIN still, but tomorrow is three weeks since I took deliver, and I have only been had it for 13 days, it has been in for service the rest.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have dropped my bronco back off at the dealer, so they can try to get the Ford engineer to look at it with them. I understand that I have my Bronco and I should be happy and all because so many are still waiting, some even waiting on a VIN still, but tomorrow is three weeks since I took deliver, and I have only been had it for 13 days, it has been in for service the rest.
Stupid question, you aren't using E85 or a blend higher than E15? Several years ago a fuel company got some ethanol that ran through a filter that was contaminated with silicone. Silicone kills O2 sensors dead but normally kill upstream first. If it's post cat both banks that usually indicates bad converters which shouldn't impact running.

AHop

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 F250 Highboy, '96 Miata M-Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I really wonder if there is unmetered air getting into the system after the MAF sensor.
No MAF sensor on Ecoboost engines. These are speed density.

OP
OP
Matthew

Matthew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stupid question, you aren't using E85 or a blend higher than E15? Several years ago a fuel company got some ethanol that ran through a filter that was contaminated with silicone. Silicone kills O2 sensors dead but normally kill upstream first. If it's post cat both banks that usually indicates bad converters which shouldn't impact running.
While I have no idea what the dealer filled it up with before I took delivery, I have put 91 in it both times I have filled it up.

Edit. I also wanted to mention that I have never noticed it running bad, but I will say that the other day I went to leave for work and I opened the garage door, walked over to the bronco, started it and drove away within about 20 seconds, and closed the door as soon as I was clear. One of my daughters complained the garage stunk like gas just over two hours later. Also, my fuel mileage running on eco mode is hanging out around 15.8 as read on the trip display. That is pretty much what my F150 gets with its 4.6L running on 35s. I expected a bit better from the Bronco.
Sponsored