First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You must not have watched the video very good, the "plastic part" Is to provide support of the steering rack and help it from failing. He has engineered another part, made from aluminum, to provide support for the weak point on the tie rod.
His plastic part now it centering the rack to the housing , which makes the lash adjustment between the rack and pinion gear useless. The lash adjuster is what broke off of the housing in this guys one video. By rigidly centering the rack in the housing, his bushing is now setting the lash. it may be too tight, it may be too loose. The lash adjuster will no longer do anything because of the his bushing. Watch the video of the changes they made for the Bronco Raptor chassis that TFL made....they specifically beefed up the housing of the rack...you will notice that the area around the lash adjuster is now beefed up. This was done to account for the load that goes into the housing from the larger tires as stated by the Ford engineer in the TFL video. The Ford engineer also noted that the internals of the rack are the same. This guys bushing fix has the potential to create more problems thru incorrect steering gear lash.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

His plastic part now it centering the rack to the housing , which makes the lash adjustment between the rack and pinion gear useless. The lash adjuster is what broke off of the housing in this guys one video. By rigidly centering the rack in the housing, his bushing is now setting the lash. it may be too tight, it may be too loose. The lash adjuster will no longer do anything because of the his bushing. Watch the video of the changes they made for the Bronco Raptor chassis that TFL made....they specifically beefed up the housing of the rack...you will notice that the area around the lash adjuster is now beefed up. This was done to account for the load that goes into the housing from the larger tires as stated by the Ford engineer in the TFL video. The Ford engineer also noted that the internals of the rack are the same. This guys bushing fix has the potential to create more problems thru incorrect steering gear lash.

Looks like someone is paying attention.

😁

jeff in ohio

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks like someone is paying attention.

😁
yeah...that guy may be a decent machinist...but it doesn't look like he knows his way around a steering rack....otherwise he would have known what that piece is that broke off and why his bushing isn't a proper 'fix' . He didn't notice that the effort to turn the steering by hand increased when he hammered in his bushing? That's because his bushing removed all the lash on the rack he was working with. I would suspect with no lash, he will wear out the the pinion assembly next. But I'm sure someone will pay him $300 for his bushing and then blame Ford when they wear out the pinion assembly due to tight lash. Or...if they are at the other end of the tolerance zone, they will have loose steering and no way to tighten it back up with a small turn of the lash adjuster.

eander

Big Bend
First Name
Erica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The spare hanging off the back like:
Ford Bronco Bronco 2-Door on 40's and 7" lift F66206BE-C253-476E-81D4-4C8251A41131

…but I have no Bronco yet, therefore no room to talk. Good on you, sir!

Sponsored

Deleted member 31057

Wow.....so many on here willing to be a critic or a complainer. Quick to judge a fellow Bronco owner while even some feel fellow Bronco Sport owner's don’t belong. From day one individuals have modified Bronco's. We all have our own opinion but c'mon can we lay off the criticism of our Bronco Family!! Roll on 40's if you can, just be safe doing it! Looks AWESOME

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow.....so many on here willing to be a critic or a complainer. Quick to judge a fellow Bronco owner while even some feel fellow Bronco Sport owner's don’t belong. From day one individuals have modified Bronco's. We all have our own opinion but c'mon can we lay off the criticism of our Bronco Family!! Roll on 40's if you can, just be safe doing it! Looks AWESOME
I agree, but as I've said before there are limitations. The first person to post a Bronco with the Carolina Squat deserves all the criticism that comes his way.

Ford Bronco Bronco 2-Door on 40's and 7" lift 97ee1fbf151b31dc611115e484b82a0e

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
yeah...that guy may be a decent machinist...but it doesn't look like he knows his way around a steering rack....otherwise he would have known what that piece is that broke off and why his bushing isn't a proper 'fix' . He didn't notice that the effort to turn the steering by hand increased when he hammered in his bushing? That's because his bushing removed all the lash on the rack he was working with. I would suspect with no lash, he will wear out the the pinion assembly next. But I'm sure someone will pay him $300 for his bushing and then blame Ford when they wear out the pinion assembly due to tight lash. Or...if they are at the other end of the tolerance zone, they will have loose steering and no way to tighten it back up with a small turn of the lash adjuster.
What the solution then.....
Because when you put bigger tires > 35 the stering rack will most likely fail doing offroading ...... that piece will prevent to loose total stering.... what is better slow wearing out .... or total failure of the rack?

I think in the short term might be a good solution ..... what do you think?

Last edited:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What the solution then.....
Because when you put bigger tires > 35 the stering rack will most likely fail doing offroading ...... that piece will prevent to loose total stering.... what is better slow wearing out .... or total failure of the rack?

I think in the short term might be a good solution ..... what do you think?

Tie rods that look like this and a Raptor rack.

😁

Sponsored

GeorgeFromDallas

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco, 2012 Fisker Karma, F150, F250, F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco 2-door riding on 40's with a 7" lift (built off 5" kit) and bumper spacer in the front. Factory gears.
So...will you be posting the part list / installation hurdles? Asking for a friend with a set of 40's already :cool:

I've been waiting for the Belltech 4-7.5" Lift to get released...which most likely has a lot bigger price tag.

_5337228582421244207_n__00715.1640740273.1280.1280.jpg

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Tie rods that look like this and a Raptor rack.

😁
That will cost you a lot more then
400$ for the plastic part of the rack and a lot more then 400$ for the reinforce tie rod.....lol

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That will cost you a lot more then
400$ for the plastic part of the rack and a lot more then 400$ for the reinforce tie rod.....lol

Yes the rack will be much more than the bushings but as stated above it is a more "proper" fix.

As far as the tie rods.......... a couple of rod/heim ends 👇👇👇

Ford Bronco Bronco 2-Door on 40's and 7" lift 1643409308881

some moly tubing and a bit of time with my local machinists and I can have a couple made on the cheap. ;)

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes the rack will be much more than the bushings but as stated above it is a more "proper" fix.

As far as the tie rods.......... a couple of rod/heim ends 👇👇👇

1643409308881.png

some moly tubing and a bit of time with my local machinists and I can have a couple made on the cheap. ;)
Most tie rod break at this place see pic below

And you can see where bronc buster help to prevent the tie rod to break.....

But i am planing to buy some spare tie rod just in case.....

when ford offert upgrade stering i will also consider that option .....

but in the short term for oversize tire and prevent tie rod break and stering rack failure when offroading .....

i guess i this moment bronc buster might be the best solution.....
Ford Bronco Bronco 2-Door on 40's and 7" lift IMG_2201_1080x
Ford Bronco Bronco 2-Door on 40's and 7" lift 4
Ford Bronco Bronco 2-Door on 40's and 7" lift 4
Sponsored

Last edited: