Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hear me out...

Watching those KOH videos has got me thinking about what kind of competitions we could participate in with our Broncos.

Specifically on the East coast where we don't have much desert.

My first thought was off road rally racing. Why should Subaru have all the fun? Sure a Bronco would be slow as hell compared to a WRX but it would still be fun to tear ass through the woods.

I have been to the rally in middle PA called STPR - Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally® as shown at www.stpr.org

It's super fun to watch. However this rally and many like it are governed by ARA - American Rally Association rules with very strict safety requirements that would require $$,$$$ modifications to meet rules.

Then I looked into Rally Cross, one of which is Susquehanna SCCA Rallycross as shown at www.scca-susq.com › rallycross which is governed by much more lax SCCA rules. A roll cage is recommended not required and not required to be FIA compliant like the ARA is.

And they really aren't HIGH speed events.

Except they explicitly don't allow SUVs or Jeeps... :-(

So what's our options for getting the fun of competition.

Do we start our own thing? Or are there competitions that are time / speed oriented, not rock crawling, but off road???
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rally Cross--I think--doesn't allow SUVs due to rollover concerns.

I really think that the new Bronco can bring about the definition of a new niche amateur racing segment. After watching all of the KOH videos, I am thinking that it would basically be like KOH/Ultra4 but could be expanded into all of the terrain styles and challenges the US has to offer. A level below where the Bronco 4600s compete. Maybe an individual time trial style like the cone crushers, but off-road.

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am totally onboard with this. Being in Southeast Texas there isn't a lot of places to rock crawl and most of what is available is too tame. I feel the frame is much more capable than a Jeeps reducing the impact of a rollover. The only concern I would have is that the vehicles being significantly heavier than most Rally Cross will deteriorate the courses quicker.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rally X rules specifically call out Jeeps in the rules as a NO GO but I used to be the navigator for the Rally Jeep in SCCA and NASA before Rally America took over and made it too expensive for us to race. Appropriately nicknamed Maytag. We finished every rally we started and were Southeast Division 4wd naturally aspirated champions one year.

Best thing to do would be a TSD type road/off road rally with waypoints and times to meet but not be faster than.

Ford Bronco Bronco Amateur Race Competitions? rallyjeep100aw

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Typically organized racing or timed events are excluded in auto insurance policies, just as a cautionary note.. I am liking the idea of poker runs. Point to point driving or trail running, where you pick up cards at checkpoints to make your “poker” hand. Usually some fun between participants as you drive the “course” and it takes some navigation skill, but doesn’t put you into a mode of all out competition. I did them pretty regularly on my dual sports bikes when I lived in the PNW and always had a blast. It would be cool to have different state or regional clubs put them on and travel around to different areas with our Broncos (new and classic).

Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If Autocross exists - then I am sure something similar exists for off-roading. If not - lets create something!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Autocross exists - then I am sure something similar exists for off-roading. If not - lets create something!
Could always start here, it’s “local” and a good distraction at the end of winter 👍🏽
Edit- Classic Bronco running doors off at 1:07 :)

Last edited:

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4600 class...

Sponsored
OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Typically organized racing or timed events are excluded in auto insurance policies, just as a cautionary note.. I am liking the idea of poker runs. Point to point driving or trail running, where you pick up cards at checkpoints to make your “poker” hand. Usually some fun between participants as you drive the “course” and it takes some navigation skill, but doesn’t put you into a mode of all out competition. I did them pretty regularly on my dual sports bikes when I lived in the PNW and always had a blast. It would be cool to have different state or regional clubs put them on and travel around to different areas with our Broncos (new and classic).
Understood. I started racing when I was 7. Dad and I raced go karts. Last one I raced had a 250cc Yamaha engine with a 4 speed transmission.

Did 105 mph down the straight away at Poconos speedway and would tear up the dirt tracks with our proprietary bandag winter tread capped slicks.

Seeing those Broncos at KOH just stirred something in me.

And yeah it would suck to wreck my $60K Bronco but dammit I think it would be fun to try not too!

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think Ford may be ahead of us on this, but there are a few things that need to fall into place first.

To start, the Bronco is expensive, so for Moe's and Joe's and Jane's to get started into any sort of "racing" sponsorships would be necessary. Racing SUVs without a cage would be suicide.

The supply of Broncos and Bronco parts would need to catch up and right now, demand is far to great for Ford to address any logistics.

Then, there's the 4600 Bronco which is clearly just sitting out there ready to roll. Will they ever sell it outside of Motorsports; doubt it, but if guys build their own with aftermarket parts or mod a Warthog whenever it is released; we're in business.

Now, there will be sanctioning bodies necessary in some form whether or not it's Ultra4 or FiA or whatever, that'll remain to be seen as well.

Driver training program of some sort I can see taking shape as I type this and all of the above wheels get into motion.

OP
OP
dcg2

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So interesting update!

I had emailed the nice people at the Susquehanna Rally Association (http://www.scca-susq.com/rallycross)
and asked them if they had any recommendations as to what sort of events I might be able to compete in with the Bronco.

If you remember they don't allow SUVs or Jeeps in their Rally Cross events ( perhaps as some pointed out to keep from beating up the course too badly or for safety concerns).

Well they responded back to me and let me know they would be OK allowing the Bronco on a trial basis!!

Yes! Ok. All I need now is a Bronco!
Sponsored