broncovsjeep

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have always wanted a Jeep to be my first car. Even when the Bronco came out I still liked the look of the Jeep Wrangler better, and still do. But my parents like the Bronco better for the side airbags that Jeeps lack. I also rode in some Broncos and they ride smoother. I won't be doing too much technical off-roading so I won't need the SFA that the Wrangler has. And when I said I prefer the look of the Wrangler, that doesn't mean I think a Bronco is ugly. It still is a very good-looking car that I would enjoy owning. Would a Bronco be a good first car for someone of my age (16, almost 17). I like the ride quality and how similar it is to a Jeep, and my parents like the safety. Also, can anyone recommend trims? I wouldn't get a base because of some features that only come on higher ones, and the possibility of a Raptor is unlikely due to the price and time it would take to ship. I am looking at outer banks mainly, but also everglades. Thanks.
Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
First congratulations on having awesome parents that'll support you getting a Bronco or a Wrangler.
There is close to 100% chance you will have an accident on your first car because you are still learning, we have all gone through this so I would recommend a cheap truck or disposable older car for a first vehicle.
Now, Wrangler vs. Bronco, the Wrangler is more compact and easier to maneuver which would make it a better vehicle to learn how to drive.
Ignore the idiots that will undoubtedly make fun of you for your post...

Sponsored

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
bronco is no doubt safer, thats why i sold my wrangler. i'd also imagine the wrangler would be tougher to drive for someone learning.

DCtoobs42

Black Diamond
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 T4R Limited (RIP)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First, welcome to the forum and good job coming here to seek opinions. Know that they are just that, opinions from people who don't know you or your specific situations. Ultimately, you and your parents will need to come to a conclusion on this one and, if they are footing the bill, their decision may trump yours.

My first car was a rolling hunk of garbage. I consider you to be very lucky to have a choice between two new cars. Keep in mind that you probably wont be able to order a bronco for a while as the dealers get to make their stock orders next. Order banks are closed to customers unless you already have an deposit down.

Bronco's ride quality and on-road manners will be better. Safety data suggests it is safer too, so your parents aren't wrong there. I am a nearly 40 year old getting my first new car with the Bronco and I am excited that the utility of the vehicle will also bring some creature comforts as well.

I think the Black Diamond is awesome but trim levels all depend on budget. MGV with washout interior is the way to go for my lifestyle with a lot of beach, mountain biking and river days - all of which come with wet swimsuits. I am also a person that likes the more utility minded vehicles for myself as opposed to luxury, Base if you're budget minded or looking to customize with your own aftermarket doo-dads. If you're going all out, Badlands SAS is one sweet ride, but also pretty rad without SAS. If you are looking for the signature headlights on the higher trims, check out Oracle - they have aftermarket headlights and tail lights that look great and the upgrade is way cheaper than stepping up to a higher trim just for those features.

Last edited:

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any modern car is going to be perfectly safe for a new driver. My first car only had 2 airbags, crank windows, and no anti-lock brakes. I didn't even wreck it, the engine blew up.

If you are willing to learn, I think the manual transmission Bronco would be great. When you have to match the engine speed to what is happening in traffic, I think it will make you a better, more attentive driver. 4WD + manual transmission would be great for New England winters.

Sponsored

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You're not going to like this answer, but I would recommend a used Jeep.
You most likely will do some damage to it, even if not a full blown accident, it just is the way it is.

Not to mention if you do get a new Bronco and you do need repairs - good luck at this point with a quick turnround.
Jeep stuff is everywhere and has been around, not to mention any mods you may want to do are going to be cheaper, time tested and easier to come by. To me it's a no brainer.

The Bronco is too new, and for that matter, so are you. Enjoy your new ride whatever you get.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
You're not going to like this answer, but I would recommend a used Jeep.
You most likely will do some damage to it, even if not a full blown accident, it just is the way it is.

Not to mention if you do get a new Bronco and you do need repairs - good luck at this point with a quick turnround.
Jeep stuff is everywhere and has been around, not to mention any mods you may want to do are going to be cheaper, time tested and easier to come by. To me it's a no brainer.

The Bronco is too new, and for that matter, so are you. Enjoy your new ride whatever you get.
Good point, availability of vehicles and parts is important for a first car.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I reserved mine when you were 14 and am still waiting for it. If you do order one it will make a nice graduation present when it arrives. I agree with the Jeep still looking good after all these years. Bronco looks good too, see if it stands the test of time as well

Teke

Base
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As others have stated, the likelihood of you having some sort of accident (your fault or not) in your first car is very high and paying to fix a brand new anything is going to be a chunk of change. Get a used pickup or Jeep and go from there. Buying a new vehicle for a first car for anyone is just not the wisest way to spend money but that's just me. Your parents obviously have to make that decision and will ultimately trump yours I would assume.

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am teaching my 15 year old son now how to drive as he just received his permit. We have a 2022 Jeep Wrangler and a 2021 GMC Acadia. The difference in his confidence and driving ability between the two is night and day. He has a much harder time with the Jeep. I would go for a used pickup truck but I want one of those myself so a little bias.
Sponsored