Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does anybody know how the bronco feels and handles at highway speeds
Thanks
I didn't drive it, but I rode in one on the freeway for a decent chunk of time. It felt smooth, responsive, and comfortable. Seal wasn't super secure on the roof so it had a little bit of wind noise, but not enough for me to worry about.

This was in a 2.3 Manual.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Find a FJ Cruiser to test drive. The highway manners are ok unless you are in heavy winds. Having the aerodynamics of a dumpster does not help.
My H3T has the aerodynamics of a dumpster literally, it has a pickup box on the back, and it rides as nice as a modern Cadillac on the highway. Wheelbase is probably a few inches longer than a 4-door Bronco.

OP, any modern-day light duty truck will ride quite well on the surface streets and highways. It has stability control, which is unobtrusive for the most part, but keeps everything in check. Don't worry about it.

ehssey

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anybody know how the bronco feels and handles at highway speeds
Thanks
You could always move to Los Angeles, if you're worried about driving at speed. You'll never have the chance to do it here.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't worry, anything without a V8 in it cannot, by the laws of physics, hit highway speeds.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure if any Jeep guys can weigh in, but if I were to remove just the front section of the roof and leave the rear attached - kind of like a Targa I suppose - would the wind and noise in the cabin be bearable at some reasonable speed e.g. 70 mph? Top completely off around town is fine, but with the nephews in the back (6 and 2) along with the dog... I am not sure no top for them is ideal.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Take thyself to a Jeep dealer, and test drive a new JL. Now mind you, the drive will be completely different with the solid axle up front of the Jeep. But, I expect it will give you the closest to the feel of how the Bronco will ride on the highway. Myself I have absolutely no problems with the ride of my Jeep 4 door. However, I grew up when trucks were trucks, and not a Lincoln with a 6 foot bed. The Bronco, and the Jeep are basically just brick shaped vehicles with 4 tires, and you will feel the effects of stronger cross winds, but it's nothing you can't get used too.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not sure if any Jeep guys can weigh in, but if I were to remove just the front section of the roof and leave the rear attached - kind of like a Targa I suppose - would the wind and noise in the cabin be bearable at some reasonable speed e.g. 70 mph? Top completely off around town is fine, but with the nephews in the back (6 and 2) along with the dog... I am not sure no top for them is ideal.
With the tops off of my Jeep it's quite loud, and you will get a bit of wind buffeting. A top off ride is completely different than a top down ride in a convertible. I own both, and much prefer a top down ride. That's why the tops stay on my Jeep most of the time.

BTW, a slower ride on trails, and back roads are the best we enjoy top off riding in our Jeep. Of course that's because of there isn't so much buffeting of the wind. But, it can be a bit dusty depending on how dry it has been.

ericwayne

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well.....kind of point and shoot, very little steering feedback, kinda loud, and is rolling at about 3300 rpm at 65mph due to the 4:11 gears and 3 speed, very unrefined. If its raining, the vacuum on the wipers struggles to keep up.........but that's my '69 :LOL:

manualT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is my biggest concern to. Having never owned or daily driven an off road oriented "truck", with 40mi of my round trip commute on highways is it worth it?

The Ranger has a longer wheelbase than the 4Dr Bronco, but is that a good approximation for the ride quality and handling?
It will feel like a truck. I have Golf R like you and a 4Runner TRD Pro and the 4runner feels like a truck. It is great in a straight line, you sit up high all is good, but on twisty roads it feels heavy, sluggish, slow to brake a little unstable due to off-road suspension, tires, & ride-height. Completely fine, IMO, but anything capable off road is always going to have a bit of compromise on the highway.

Having driven many Jeep’s, if traveling on an interstate at 80mph was it’s primary use, one may not like it, but highways between 45-55mph it is completely fine.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With the tops off of my Jeep it's quite loud, and you will get a bit of wind buffeting. A top off ride is completely different than a top down ride in a convertible.
That's very helpful, thank you. I suspected as much. I have 2 BMW convertibles (2006 and 2016) and it's remarkable how calm the cabin can be even at silly speeds if you have the windows up and wind deflector installed.

Figured Bronco would be top on except at beach or putting around town at 25 mph.
Sponsored