First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wonder if it's time to create a class action suit against Ford Motor Company and the Dealer Association on behalf of those who have had their orders ignored for 2 years so that Ford and the Dealers could chase the mark-ups to boost their profit margins. It would be interesting to force those two to disclose their decision-making process.
I'm honestly more interested right now in the Class Action against GM over "delivery fees". GM (and Ford) charges the same amount no matter where it is delivered, and it is not transparent that the cost reflects the actual cost of delivery. (It obviously doesn't cost $1500 per vehicle when you deliver an entire truckload of cars, given that I could have had a Bronco shipped from Granger to Phoenix for that amount). It's clearly skirting on false advertising to say MSRP = X, but... it's actually MSRP + whatever we decide shipping is this week.

As for folks waiting 2 years on their Bronco: At this point, I think the only rational thing to do is try to put the question before the board at the next stockholder meeting. A lot of us own at least some Ford Shares. And as a stockholder, I think the long term value of the Brand is increased if Ford actually delivered to customers in the order they reserved.

I have no idea how many shares one needs to put a question before the shareholders though.
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry if stupid question but I donā€™t have time to read entire thread - Do we have a definitive number of total Broncos built since production start last year through August 2022? I guess I should clarify that number would be for US market only.
We have the total number built. Ford reports builds by factory every month. We have no way of knowing how many were built for the US and how many for export though.

Also, even if you count all sales, there should be roughly a months worth of production between "built" and "sold" because they sit on a choo-choo train for 2-4 weeks before they get to the dealers. (or longer, if there is a factory hold)

jason9m9

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Maybe itā€™s because thereā€™s so much focus on many threads for everyone who has not been scheduled yet trying to understand this, but yeah the numbers really donā€™t make sense? Like how many orders total do we think really were made? To maybe have already built 150k+ Surely almost everyone would have theirs by now?

Last edited:

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nobody over-sold their allocations. Ford changed the rules.

Dealerships essentially got 30% of their orders in allocations for 2021

My mid-size dealership got 119 allocations on roughly 420 orders.
The next larger dealership in town got about 140 on around 460 orders.
The little dealership at the edge of town got 40 out of just over 120 orders.

The big dealership with over 2000 orders got several hundred allocations.

Ford CHANGED the FORMULA mid-stream to benefit the big dealerships.
Exactly, It is Ford the one that sets the formulas for allocations, not the dealers. Originally 30 percent of the orders, then it became sales.. They can make it whatever they want. How can a dealer oversell their allocation when the formula is set by Ford has been changed by Ford every step of the way.
This whole reservation system has been one huge bust. If it had been one consistent formula, then you could blame the dealers, but not the way this has progressed.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe itā€™s because thereā€™s so much focus on many threads for everyone who has not been scheduled yet trying to understand this, but yeah the numbers really donā€™t make sense? Like how many orders total do we think really were made? To maybe have already built 150k+ Surely almost everyone would have theirs by now?
In Feb of 2021, Ford had 119,000 actual orders. They probably got another 40,000 or so reservations and orders before they shut off reservations. Let's call it 160,000 reservations converted to orders.

Ford never fixed the MIC top supply issue, because they didn't want to spend the money on more tooling. It's been pretty constant that they can only build 70% as hard tops, and 86% of customer orders were hard tops. So 14-15% of builds had to be dealer stock 4-door soft tops.

So, if they built 150,000. Then about 3500 were Mannequins, and 22,000 were dealer stock with soft tops. That's minimum. Ford also kept running out of other parts, like Manual Transmissions, Badlands suspensions, Sasquatch wheels, etc. And every time that happened, they built a 4-door squishy top for a Dealer instead of a Customer Bronco.

So, at best Ford has built 120,000 orders against 160,000 reservations. Except... they also built orders for walk-in customers. So in reality, they have only really filled around 2/3s of reservation holder orders.

There are 10s of thousands of walk in orders that haven't been built either.

Now they have certainly built enough Broncos that they should have been able to take care of the first day and 2nd day reservation holders, and even the 3rd day reservation holders. Which they should have done, but they definately have not built enough Broncos in the right configurations to meet the orders of Reservation holders, much less everyone who came after.

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Granger knew they weren't getting 800 Broncos in a year. They know what their allocation is for other models and could have come up with a reasonable guesstimate (which would still have been high given the parts issues) and been informing customers that there would be a potentially long wait. Hell, my dealer straight told me they have no idea when my order will show up.

Nope, not what they said at all. They said they are going to convert existing orders and any remaining reservations that have not been ordered will have a deadline to be placed. That puts existing orders at the front of the line and eliminates any lingering reservations. They said they would prioritize them but that does not mean they will all be built before new retail orders, allocations are still in play and they did state that.

Yeah, I get that...but that's on the dealer. And I am in a relatively small town but I've also got 5 Ford dealers within a 30 mile drive from home. I went with the one I've dealt with in the past, I'd rather help them out if I can...and they did tell me they have no idea when mine will show up.

Yeah, I get it, you're angry guy. Go smoke a bowl and mellow out for a bit. I said I understand why people put in orders at multiple dealers (and I said that). Take a step back and see what effect that is going to have though. You order three of the same thing that is part constrained. I order one. All 3 of yours come in, you take the first one and flip it, take the second one and keep it and tell the third dealer you no longer want it so they sell it for $10k ADM. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for mine because they used all the parts for yours. What if I told you that you haven't gotten yours yet because so many other people ordered from 2-4 dealers and did so ahead of you and they are still working through that backlog, would that help you understand what I'm trying to say?

I'm not saying Ford has no blame here. I think they should have limited dealers from placing ridiculous amounts of orders. I mean if a dealer placed more orders for Broncos than they get in allocations for F150's, they should have anticipated an issue, they got greedy. Ford could have prevented that by not letting them place so many orders.

With today's technology, Ford could easily have told dealers that all orders are to be at MSRP, not above and could have directed reservation holders to dealers with shorter order lists relative to expected allocations.

You can be mad all you want but it isn't going to do you any good. You can disagree with my opinion too, I'm good with that.
This is why, I think Ford will ultimately try to eliminate the middleman, or at least, greatly change the relationship. Ford is envious of Teslaā€™s business model. I donā€™t think they want, or will even be able to, get rid of the dealers, but the status quo is ripe for restructuring.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I made a reservation 2 years ago online and converted that reservation to an order at my local dealer in early March 2021 with a confirmation of order email that followed. I was then forced to reorder in October 2021 at the same dealer when the earlier order was balanced out! Immediately after reordering, I received a confirmation email and multiple other emails from Ford that stated how my order was now a priority and would be built in 2022. Since around April, all I receive are Bronco Rodeo emails. So anytime anyone humble-brags about just walking in, ordering and getting their order built in 9 months is frustrating beyond belief!
I reserved 2/21 and ordered 3/2/21. Still no Bronco. The reservation system has been a complete disaster.

ssqch

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One of those August sales was our Dirt/Ice mountain build that had been sitting in a parking lot since January, almost 7 months to the day, from its original blend date.

If Fordā€™s šŸ¤” goal was for everyone to forget the botched Explorer roll out, theyā€™ve successfully done it by making the Bronco release an even bigger šŸ’© show.
Does anyone know if Dirt/Ice Mountain exists anymore? I haven't seen any videos/photos lately.

Big Diamond

Wildtrak
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco HOSS 3.0 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I reserved 2/21 and ordered 3/2/21. Still no Bronco. The reservation system has been a complete disaster.
You have every possible constraint on your build if your signature is accurate. If you want a Bronco sooner, you might consider seeing if there is anything you could live without.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You have every possible constraint on your build if your signature is accurate. If you want a Bronco sooner, you might consider seeing if there is anything you could live without.
I know, I want what I want and willing to wait. I have a nice car, so Iā€™m not in dire straits. Waiting and following this forum has almost become a hobby. A sick hobbyšŸ¤£.

Sponsored

BroncoDude

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In Feb of 2021, Ford had 119,000 actual orders. They probably got another 40,000 or so reservations and orders before they shut off reservations. Let's call it 160,000 reservations converted to orders.

Ford never fixed the MIC top supply issue, because they didn't want to spend the money on more tooling. It's been pretty constant that they can only build 70% as hard tops, and 86% of customer orders were hard tops. So 14-15% of builds had to be dealer stock 4-door soft tops.

So, if they built 150,000. Then about 3500 were Mannequins, and 22,000 were dealer stock with soft tops. That's minimum. Ford also kept running out of other parts, like Manual Transmissions, Badlands suspensions, Sasquatch wheels, etc. And every time that happened, they built a 4-door squishy top for a Dealer instead of a Customer Bronco.

So, at best Ford has built 120,000 orders against 160,000 reservations. Except... they also built orders for walk-in customers. So in reality, they have only really filled around 2/3s of reservation holder orders.

There are 10s of thousands of walk in orders that haven't been built either.

Now they have certainly built enough Broncos that they should have been able to take care of the first day and 2nd day reservation holders, and even the 3rd day reservation holders. Which they should have done, but they definately have not built enough Broncos in the right configurations to meet the orders of Reservation holders, much less everyone who came after.
And if we knew how many were built for export then surely the amount built for reservation holders is less than 2/3ds.

LS2GTO

Base
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 gto 00 f-250 03 t-bird 70 chevelle 59 tr-3..
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why should they prioritize rewarding dealers that grossly oversold their allocations? And you should be mad at your dealer if they have done that (that said, Ford should stop taking orders from a dealer once they reach some arbitrary level above their typical allocation so that this does not happen again).

I think they need to figure out who has multiple orders in, give one order priority (at the dealer most likely to be able to have it fall within their allocation) and either cancel all the other orders that customer has or bump them to the back of the line because all those other orders are going to end up on a lot somewhere at stupid ADM when they could have been using those (possibly) constrained parts to fulfill someone else's order (or the guy with the orders is gonna flip the first one knowing he's got another coming eventually). I get why people placed orders at multiple dealers but I also think it is part of the problem.
The irony is that Ford is punishing the very dealers who have worked their asses off to actively market Fordā€™s product. Hell yes they should be prioritizing their orders and holding them up as an example of a proactive dealership that others should aspire to.

Rdonohoe

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Bronco & 2022 Bronco (ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have Badlands fully decked out. There is nothing bottom feeding when it comes to this spec.
I got a build week of Sep12 for my BL CO Lux Tow Vinyl and Iā€™m chuffed!

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

We have the total number built. Ford reports builds by factory every month. We have no way of knowing how many were built for the US and how many for export though.

Also, even if you count all sales, there should be roughly a months worth of production between "built" and "sold" because they sit on a choo-choo train for 2-4 weeks before they get to the dealers. (or longer, if there is a factory hold)
Through Q2 the only export sales by Ford (other exports are Supposedly US sales that are gray market exports to other countries0 were to Mexico and Canada. There were 8191 to Canada and 1501to Mexico. Using Q2 sales as basis for estimating July and August would result in approximately another 1474 and 250, respectively for an estimated total of 11,416 non-US sales. This information is published by Ford and available on fordauthority.com, but Non-US sales are only published quarterly.

If you read the next sheet in the US sales reports it reports gross stocks of 8800 units.

Unfortunately if you take all production (146k) less all US and non-US sales (122k) less august ending gross stocks (9k), the number is not zero (15k). In transit inventory should be in gross stocks in normal accounting system. So Thereā€™s around 15k missing Broncos.

Dirt Mountain makes some sense as Produced does not equal Built and may be considered work in progress. But 15k Broncos sitting on Dirt Mountain seems pretty big.

Only thing for sure is the published numbers donā€™t add up nicely.

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why should they prioritize rewarding dealers that grossly oversold their allocations? And you should be mad at your dealer if they have done that (that said, Ford should stop taking orders from a dealer once they reach some arbitrary level above their typical allocation so that this does not happen again).

I think they need to figure out who has multiple orders in, give one order priority (at the dealer most likely to be able to have it fall within their allocation) and either cancel all the other orders that customer has or bump them to the back of the line because all those other orders are going to end up on a lot somewhere at stupid ADM when they could have been using those (possibly) constrained parts to fulfill someone else's order (or the guy with the orders is gonna flip the first one knowing he's got another coming eventually). I get why people placed orders at multiple dealers but I also think it is part of the problem.
A problem Ford created by changing the rules.
Sponsored