First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Bronco & 2022 Bronco (ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is why, I think Ford will ultimately try to eliminate the middleman, or at least, greatly change the relationship. Ford is envious of Tesla’s business model. I don’t think they want, or will even be able to, get rid of the dealers, but the status quo is ripe for restructuring.
Dealerships own too many politicians at the state level. They’ve been playing this game a long time. Every time I leave a dealership I want to take a shower…
Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dealerships own too many politicians at the state level. They’ve been playing this game a long time. Every time I leave a dealership I want to take a shower…
Anytime you need the government to protect your business model, you’re in trouble. OEM’s are going to find a way around franchise laws. EV’s may be their ticket. Like it or not, Tesla is leading by creative destruction.

Aggie2000

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anytime you need the government to protect your business model, you’re in trouble. OEM’s are going to find a way around franchise laws. EV’s may be their ticket. Like it or not, Tesla is leading by creative destruction.
So is Tesla in trouble considering they needed over $5 billion.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So is Tesla in trouble considering they needed over $5 billion.
Tesla is doing just fine. I’m not a Tesla fan boy, but I’m interested in how their business model has disrupted the entire auto industry.

Aggie2000

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But you agree they were in trouble?

Sponsored

Chippewa-Pin

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Fe, Tucson, Z4, T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plant shut down.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Everyone here has spent too much time learning things they shouldn’t have to. Ford is to blame, the supply shortage exacerbated it, dealers stacked the decks and some people took advantage.

There shouldn’t be reservations or conversions, just orders placed at a dealership, complete with personal information.
There shouldn’t be allocations when it comes to orders.
People shouldn’t be allowed to have multiple orders in, unless Ford fulfilled every other order.
None of this nonsense should have ever existed, it benefited no one except generate media buzz for Ford, but allowed for a whole lot of corruption along the way, some planned, and others stumbled into it.

While I’m at it, there shouldn’t be limited edition vehicles, the system is corrupt as to who always gets the bulk of them (this isn’t a Bronco specific argument) and why not make the vehicles people want, if everyone wanted a First Edition or a Heritage – make a billion of them. No one will ever have a good argument for this. Exclusivity has no place with a mass producer like Ford, leave that to Ferrari.

Say what you will, but consumers don’t want this nonsense when buying a car, or anything for that matter. Sure some of you thrive on this kind of crap, you’re the ones that line up for iPhones 2 days in advance but most of us that have been alive long enough to realize being the first one to own something is meaningless unless you are counting on internet ‘Likes’ to pay your bills. Good luck with that.

Anyway, Ford should fulfil first time Bronco buyers and then open up the order banks to any first time buyers.
Buyers should not only have to put down a deposit, but be prequalified to purchase. Whether that means they have the credit, the money in their bank account and/or a valued trade in. The reason for this – simple - trying to prevent flippers from jumping the list and using pawns to buy their cars for them. Then and only then allow for multiple purchase orders from people. I have to assume most of these people are flipping them, perpetuating the inflated cost. Once everyone has theirs, there will be no market for flippers. This will also help prevent dealers putting in orders under imaginary people, I know Ford is already putting in some other measures.

As far as the future of car sales, the dealer model is outdated and broken. Dealers should be service centers and showroom / test drive centers and the only place to order a vehicle.
I know people like internet sales, (the Tesla model) but it has a lot of draw backs and will cause too many legal issues. Clearly internet ordering can allow people to game the system. If you have to place your order at the dealership, they get their cut (MSRP – invoice), the manufacturer doesn’t have to worry about direct communications, shipping costs will be much cheaper than individual deliveries, your car gets dealer prepped, not to mention the trade-in factor. I would prefer to deal with product experts and not people who are good at sales. There would be no dealer adds on, unless you requested them, but they are there when you do. The list goes on. Dealers do fulfill a need, and I wouldn’t want them to not be there, especially when there is a problem.

I still have no idea why anyone would order a vehicle they have never driven, it’s why I didn’t order a Bronco until I got to test drive one at a dealership, of course this also screwed my in the long run because of those of you who reserved a whole fleet, but who knew?

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Everyone here has spent too much time learning things they shouldn’t have to. Ford is to blame, the supply shortage exacerbated it, dealers stacked the decks and some people took advantage.

There shouldn’t be reservations or conversions, just orders placed at a dealership, complete with personal information.
There shouldn’t be allocations when it comes to orders.
People shouldn’t be allowed to have multiple orders in, unless Ford fulfilled every other order.
None of this nonsense should have ever existed, it benefited no one except generate media buzz for Ford, but allowed for a whole lot of corruption along the way, some planned, and others stumbled into it.

While I’m at it, there shouldn’t be limited edition vehicles, the system is corrupt as to who always gets the bulk of them (this isn’t a Bronco specific argument) and why not make the vehicles people want, if everyone wanted a First Edition or a Heritage – make a billion of them. No one will ever have a good argument for this. Exclusivity has no place with a mass producer like Ford, leave that to Ferrari.

Say what you will, but consumers don’t want this nonsense when buying a car, or anything for that matter. Sure some of you thrive on this kind of crap, you’re the ones that line up for iPhones 2 days in advance but most of us that have been alive long enough to realize being the first one to own something is meaningless unless you are counting on internet ‘Likes’ to pay your bills. Good luck with that.

Anyway, Ford should fulfil first time Bronco buyers and then open up the order banks to any first time buyers.
Buyers should not only have to put down a deposit, but be prequalified to purchase. Whether that means they have the credit, the money in their bank account and/or a valued trade in. The reason for this – simple - trying to prevent flippers from jumping the list and using pawns to buy their cars for them. Then and only then allow for multiple purchase orders from people. I have to assume most of these people are flipping them, perpetuating the inflated cost. Once everyone has theirs, there will be no market for flippers. This will also help prevent dealers putting in orders under imaginary people, I know Ford is already putting in some other measures.

As far as the future of car sales, the dealer model is outdated and broken. Dealers should be service centers and showroom / test drive centers and the only place to order a vehicle.
I know people like internet sales, (the Tesla model) but it has a lot of draw backs and will cause too many legal issues. Clearly internet ordering can allow people to game the system. If you have to place your order at the dealership, they get their cut (MSRP – invoice), the manufacturer doesn’t have to worry about direct communications, shipping costs will be much cheaper than individual deliveries, your car gets dealer prepped, not to mention the trade-in factor. I would prefer to deal with product experts and not people who are good at sales. There would be no dealer adds on, unless you requested them, but they are there when you do. The list goes on. Dealers do fulfill a need, and I wouldn’t want them to not be there, especially when there is a problem.

I still have no idea why anyone would order a vehicle they have never driven, it’s why I didn’t order a Bronco until I got to test drive one at a dealership, of course this also screwed my in the long run because of those of you who reserved a whole fleet, but who knew?
I agree with most of what you said, especially about the dealer model being outdated and broken. As a customer, I should have the ability to purchase my autos any way I want, whether that is directly from the OEM, or from a dealer. OEM's can't sell direct because of franchise laws that protect the dealers, not the customers. The NADA is one of the most powerful lobbying organizations in the country. They protect their dealers by supporting legislation that keeps the current business model in place. I'm not saying that there isn't a legitimate business reason for dealers to exist, I just believe that their roll should change and the current business constraints, should be removed.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I agree with most of what you said, especially about the dealer model being outdated and broken. As a customer, I should have the ability to purchase my autos any way I want, whether that is directly from the OEM, or from a dealer. OEM's can't sell direct because of franchise laws that protect the dealers, not the customers. The NADA is one of the most powerful lobbying organizations in the country. They protect their dealers by supporting legislation that keeps the current business model in place. I'm not saying that there isn't a legitimate business reason for dealers to exist, I just believe that their roll should change and the current business constraints, should be removed.

Yea, that was the legal issues I was referring to. Dealers wil fight that for years and on the meantime we lose.
If you make people use dealers as order takers, things can actually happen much sooner and no real loss for the consumer.
I'm sure at that point, dealers will have it set up on the internet if you don't want to actually go there.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yea, that was the legal issues I was referring to. Dealers wil fight that for years and on the meantime we lose.
If you make people use dealers as order takers, things can actually happen much sooner and no real loss for the consumer.
I'm sure at that point, dealers will have it set up on the internet if you don't want to actually go there.
Most people would rather have root canal than go to a dealer. I'm pretty sure you know more about the vehicle you want to buy than the salesperson at your local dealer. Like I said, there's a place for dealers: test drives and possibly delivery. We should be able to order our truck directly through Ford and then tell them which dealer we want to take delivery from. The dealer would still be able to take in a possible trade, offer financing and dealer installed accessories. The whole, "what can we do to make a deal today?", is a nightmare and unnecessary.

Sponsored

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Most people would rather have root canal than go to a dealer. I'm pretty sure you know more about the vehicle you want to buy than the salesperson at your local dealer. Like I said, there's a place for dealers: test drives and possibly delivery. We should be able to order our truck directly through Ford and then tell them which dealer we want to take delivery from. The dealer would still be able to take in a possible trade, offer financing and dealer installed accessories. The whole, "what can we do to make a deal today?", is a nightmare and unnecessary.
I'll always know more than any salesperson - of course the bar isn't all that high either LOL
But yea, anyone who spends time on car forums, knows more than the salepeeps.

I agree, I never want to spend anytime at a dealers, but with that said it doesn't have to be that way. When I bought my last Volvo, it was awesome, of course I knew exactly what I was getting, the salesman gave me a non-negotiable price, I agreed signed some papers took about 15 maybe 20 minutes. He told me to go have lunch or something and come back. I did, and when I got back my car was ready to go, complete with brand new license plates. Add a few minutes to get my stuff out of my old ride, shake his hand and drove off. I miss that place, but Volvo doesn't make pickups LOL.

Anyway, if you don't have to haggle about price, and there is no manager to deal with, or the guy in the back selling extended warrantees, all that pain goes away. There is nothing he can do 'to put you in a car today'. You either like it and want it or you don't. That simple.

And if you really like that game, have him walk you over to the used car lot and knock your socks off.

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just took a few minutes to update my Google sheet if anybody wants to see the cumulative data since Bronco production started:

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just took a few minutes to update my Google sheet if anybody wants to see the cumulative data since Bronco production started:

Thanks for your efforts. At least things seem to moving in the right direction.
Sponsored