Sponsored

Bronco Badlands - My Brakes are Releasing from a Stopped Position - When on a Hill

mrdibbles

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands - SAS w/ LUX Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi Forum,
My Bronco Badlands (SAS + LUX) is at the Ford Dealer and has been there for going on the 3rd day. It has less than 600 miles on it and it was selected by Ford at random for a 20-mile quality control check (there was a piece of paper in my glovebox citing this) at the factory.

Anyway, I took it into the dealership after experiencing, at least a half dozen times, my Bronco's brakes releasing, from a stop with my foot on the pedal, causing the vehicle to slowly "slide" down my driveway. At first I thought is this right... is this supposed to be happening. Then... I realized heck no... this should never happen.

My driveway isn't what I would call steep, but it is on a slight hill, and given this is Florida (no snow or ice) and also given my driveway is made of pavers that are dry, there is no reason my vehicle should give me a sensation of "sliding" while I am depressing the brake pedal sufficiently. The scenario as I explained it to the Ford Service Department:
  1. Backing slowly, or pulling out Forward slowly to the edge of the street.
  2. Coming to a slow stop with the foot gently and adequately depressed on the pedal.
  3. Checking right and left for cars and/or pedestrians before proceeding.
  4. The vehicle would cease being stopped, the pedal would go soft, and the vehicle would go into an uninvited slow & stuttering roll into the street.
  5. Yes I did have, on two occasions, cars transiting behind my vehicle.
  6. The Bronco only took my command to stop when I mashed the pedal to the floor as in an emergency stop.
Thus far the Ford Service Department is suggesting the culprit is electrical with the ABS, they did replicate this, and they are trying to chase it to figure out what is at fault.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored

Last edited:

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ummm.. yikes.. Keep us posted! I assume you're driving in normal mode in 2H?

Captain nSANEo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When the Bronco starts to "creep" does your break pedal go squishy? If so could be air in the brake line.

Sponsored

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or another ABS module going faulty. Seems to be a common occurrence lately but I know that is not true, just a factor of reporting bias to an enthusiast forum. Does look like maybe Ford got a bad batch of ABS modules from a supplier though.

OP
OP
mrdibbles

mrdibbles

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Ford Service Department manager just called me. Ford's Technical Hotline, which is the centralized forum for Ford Service departments to consolidate Bronco mech/tech issues, appears to be citing the Electronic Brake Booster as the culprit. He will call me back later today with more on that and a lead time on when that will arrive. He does not have that part in stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrdibbles

mrdibbles

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately you will not with EBB systems as an electric actuator drives it and the brake pedal is basically just a signal. There is a chance to move it manually but it is very very hard to do so.
You mean there isn't a hydraulic master at the pedal??

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately you will not with EBB systems as an electric actuator drives it and the brake pedal is basically just a signal. There is a chance to move it manually but it is very very hard to do so.
I don't think the regulations allow that. The mechanical braking system has to be fully functional if any electronic component fails. You may have to push the pedal harder but you should still have brakes.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The pedal is still mechanically connected to the reservoir. EBB only supplies assist like the vacuum set up. For the OPs issue, I'm going to go with a bypass or dump valve open in the HCU. Could be a mechanical issue or initiated by a faulty reading from one of the sensors/switches/motors in that system.

A loss of assist will not cause creep, just a hard pedal or increased pedal effort. Creep is caused by leak, air or part of the system bleeding off fluid pressure from one or more of the circuits.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I'm going to say it that a Mechanical Hand Park Brake Leaver would have been nice to have had in any vehicle that this type of situation can even remotely happen......

@Ford Motor Company, you now that you messed up when you went the "lets electrify as much as possible route..."

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I'm seeing in the WSM.
Ford Bronco Bronco Badlands - My Brakes are Releasing from a Stopped Position - When on a Hill 1637091466736
Sponsored