Sponsored

Bronco Badlands on 40s -- anyone else planning for this?

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello all,

I went to the 4x4 shop that has worked on my Jeep since I had it and informed them that as soon as my Bronco arrives, ideally no later than next summer (I reserved my Bronco at 5am, the morning after the launch event) that I want to immediately get it up on 40s. My goal is to have one of the first Broncos out there on 40s

Anyone else planning this and thinking about some of the challenges, starting with how to order their Bronco?

If I'm going right to 40s, I'm wondering if I will NEED the Sasquatch package. It would be nice to knock the price down $2500 or so and have that money directly available for the 40s. But my concern is I'll want the 4.7 gear ratio for the bigger tires, and I don't think (?) I can configure that way, although I've run through the fairly-flawed build and price tool on ford.com many times and it's left me scratching my head.

Also, what will be the value of brand new Ford wheels and 35" tires? I'm wondering if a lot of other Bronco owners are going to want to upgrade tires right away, like me, so maybe a glut of them will be on the market.

Issue two is the spare tire... a possible delete scenario. I'm not sure what the aftermarket is going to look like for tire carriers right when the Bronco is launched. I could have the Jeep shop custom fab a tire carrier for me, but I'm not sure I want to go to that trouble and expense because I've got to assume that they'll be available soon (maybe even at launch, who knows, which would make this a moot point.)

Anyway... anyone else thinking about this who might have some insight?

Thanks...
Sponsored

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello all,

I went to the 4x4 shop that has worked on my Jeep since I had it and informed them that as soon as my Bronco arrives, ideally no later than next summer (I reserved my Bronco at 5am, the morning after the launch event) that I want to immediately get it up on 40s. My goal is to have one of the first Broncos out there on 40s

Anyone else planning this and thinking about some of the challenges, starting with how to order their Bronco?

If I'm going right to 40s, I'm wondering if I will NEED the Sasquatch package. It would be nice to knock the price down $2500 or so and have that money directly available for the 40s. But my concern is I'll want the 4.7 gear ratio for the bigger tires, and I don't think (?) I can configure that way, although I've run through the fairly-flawed build and price tool on ford.com many times and it's left me scratching my head.

Also, what will be the value of brand new Ford wheels and 35" tires? I'm wondering if a lot of other Bronco owners are going to want to upgrade tires right away, like me, so maybe a glut of them will be on the market.

Issue two is the spare tire... a possible delete scenario. I'm not sure what the aftermarket is going to look like for tire carriers right when the Bronco is launched. I could have the Jeep shop custom fab a tire carrier for me, but I'm not sure I want to go to that trouble and expense because I've got to assume that they'll be available soon (maybe even at launch, who knows, which would make this a moot point.)

Thanks...
Spare tire carrier will most likely be a must. I don't suspect the rear swing gate will like having a 40" tire hanging on it. I know they said its rated for the Squatch 35s but I'd guess a 40 will be heavier by a few pounds.
37" weighs 73lbs so a 40 is gonna be hefty.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a big challenge, but I'm glad you're going to figure it out for the rest of us. I think yif you
Hello all,

Thanks...
What does your Jeep shop say about how they will do it before any aftermarket kits are available? I would get their plan for it. I think for 40s, no need for Sasquatch, you will need all new suspension and new diffs (stronger) anyway. I am thankful for people like you who will pioneer this and figure out how to do it...because going to 40s before anyone else has figured out what works and what doesn't is no small task.

OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a big challenge, but I'm glad you're going to figure it out for the rest of us. I think yif you

What does your Jeep shop say about how they will do it before any aftermarket kits are available? I would get their plan for it. I think for 40s, no need for Sasquatch, you will need all new suspension and new diffs (stronger) anyway. I am thankful for people like you who will pioneer this and figure out how to do it...because going to 40s before anyone else has figured out what works and what doesn't is no small task.
Well, we don't have a plan yet, just a goal, but we have time. We're going to have a meeting when it's time to order and make sure we have a logical starting point. I'm hoping I don't have to be too much of a pioneer, and that the aftermarket is already busy at work ready to accommodate those of us who want to move to bigger skins.

I'm not sure why I'd need to upgrade the differentials. Why do you suggest that is necessary? If they're strong enough for 35s, 40s shouldn't be a big stretch.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
....you’re going to have an interesting time getting the kit to do so. Are you planning on actually wheeling or just for looks? If just for looks you can probably get away with just a lift.... if you are planning on actually off-roading it hard you’re going to need to replace the rear axle and front suspension almost entirely.

Sponsored

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Will mods be available that early in the game or do you plan to just swap?

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello all,

4.7gears can be had on the BL without Sasq and at no cost

I'm not sure why I'd need to upgrade the differentials. Why do you suggest that is necessary? If they're strong enough for 35s, 40s shouldn't be a big stretch.
All depends on what you planning on doing with those 40's. Mall crawling or rock crawling? Most people on here seem to think that 37's are the limits for any light to moderate off-roading.

edit. it is my plan to run 37's knowing my driving intentions and knowing that I am going to have to custom fab all components to make them fit.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
40” tires are iffy even on a JL rubicon. They are absurdly heavy and especially with the Bronco being a heavy vehicle, you are going to strain everything. I don’t know the exact math, but you can basically think of each step up as “doubling” the strain on your suspension/drivetrain. A 33” is twice as hard on your shit as a 31” tire, a 35” is twice as hard as a 33”, a 37” is twice as hard as a 35”, and a 40” is twice as hard as a 37” tire.

It adds up. My buddy who wheels with a Dana 44 on 39’s with his (relatively light) YJ breaks axle shafts all day long. He’s just too cheap to upgrade lol

OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

....you’re going to have an interesting time getting the kit to do so. Are you planning on actually wheeling or just for looks? If just for looks you can probably get away with just a lift.... if you are planning on actually off-roading it hard you’re going to need to replace the rear axle and front suspension almost entirely.
Thanks for the reply. Why do you say I'll need to replace the rear axle and front suspension? I got rid of my Dana 35 on my TJ and went to a Ford 8.8 axle but that's because the Dana 35 is trash, a ticking time bomb. The Dana 30 up front may stay, those do okay in the Jeep world. I wheel pretty hard and don't have any problem with it, and that's the axle that came with the Jeep when it was born... and it had 31" tires on it at that time. It has 35s now and could accomodate 37s without an axle upgrade. So I'm surprised at the idea that axles, diffs, etc. wouldn't be able to accomodate a move to 40s on the Bronco. In my mind (and I may very well be wrong) I'm thinking just suspension, not any other upgrades, to accomodate the 40s.

OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All depends on what you planning on doing with those 40's. Mall crawling or rock crawling? Most people on here seem to think that 37's are the limits for any light to moderate off-roading.
To answer you and the other person who asked about "looks," I live and play under a strict "NO MALL CRAWLER" policy. I wheel hard, rock crawling is my preference but I don't mind some mud and water... although the inevitable repairs as a result are a little tiring so I don't always plunge quite so readily into the mud holes anymore.

Since this will be a very nice vehicle and I'm used to beating up older Jeeps, I probably won't push it as hard as I push the Jeep but I do want to take advantage of the 40s. As the Bronco ages I'll push a little harder...

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, we don't have a plan yet, just a goal, but we have time. We're going to have a meeting when it's time to order and make sure we have a logical starting point. I'm hoping I don't have to be too much of a pioneer, and that the aftermarket is already busy at work ready to accommodate those of us who want to move to bigger skins.

The aftermarket will focus on moderate lifts first to get people to 37s or add more space for 35s. It depends on what you want. If you are going to wheel it, then 40s won't last with the stock diffs. They will break them most likely if you are taking it off road and pressing them...at all. Look at what people do with Jeeps and the same diffs to get to 40s (if they are wheeling them). I would also absolutely want to re-gear anyway. 35 to 40 is a big jump. You also have to think about your CV angles and how you will handle that, as it probably is a problem with the lift you'll need. It's not an easy upgrade.

OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The aftermarket will focus on moderate lifts first to get people to 37s or add more space for 35s. It depends on what you want. If you are going to wheel it, then 40s won't last with the stock diffs. They will break them most likely if you are taking it off road and pressing them...at all. Look at what people do with Jeeps and the same diffs to get to 40s (if they are wheeling them). I would also absolutely want to re-gear anyway. 35 to 40 is a big jump. You also have to think about your CV angles and how you will handle that, as it probably is a problem with the lift you'll need. It's not an easy upgrade.
Right. Okay... that's pretty good insight. Fair enough. Might be looking at upgrading those components as well.

The shop I use is known for high end custom fab so "anything" is possible, the question will be, how far will we go... and right now... I'm ready to go pretty damn far to make this happen.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To answer you and the other person who asked about "looks," I live and play under a strict "NO MALL CRAWLER" policy. I wheel hard, rock crawling is my preference but I don't mind some mud and water... although the inevitable repairs as a result are a little tiring so I don't always plunge quite so readily into the mud holes anymore.

Since this will be a very nice vehicle and I'm used to beating up older Jeeps, I probably won't push it as hard as I push the Jeep but I do want to take advantage of the 40s. As the Bronco ages I'll push a little harder...
FYI, wasn't trying to throw shade, just asking what you realistically plan on doing with your Bronco. If you plan on some difficult off-roading or rock crawling, you may want to stick with 35's and Sasq until the aftermarket catches up. 37's for moderate off-roading and 40's for light off roading and cruising to the mall. I base this on what the stock driveline components can probably handle. Go Sasq, push it hard and by the time you have to replace the tires the aftermarket should have the components you need to run 37's or 40's the way you want too

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would think at a minimum the front diff. needs to lower for CV angle and who knows about the front driveshaft , maybe a duel transfer or rotate adapter

Hope to see what you come up with

The only way you get the 210 front is either SaS or BL unless you go with a high end

Last edited:
OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI, wasn't trying to throw shade, just asking what you realistically plan on doing with your Bronco. If you plan on some difficult off-roading or rock crawling, you may want to stick with 35's and Sasq until the aftermarket catches up. 37's for moderate off-roading and 40's for light off roading and cruising to the mall. I base this on what the stock driveline components can probably handle. Go Sasq, push it hard and by the time you have to replace the tires the aftermarket should have the components you need to run 37's or 40's the way you want too
Understood... no offense taken of course. I don't think anyone can go wrong with what they want. I don't care for mall crawlers. To me a vehicle with great utility is beautiful and it's beautiful to put that utility to use. A Jeep or Bronco designed "just to look good" just can't be beautiful in my eyes. I want to use it.

But the beauty of living in a free nation of prosperity like the United States is that each and every person is free to do what makes them happy. So I don't begrudge a nice shiny Bronco or Jeep which never sees a trail... it's just not for me. And that's okay.
Sponsored