First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for posting the chart. My point exactly.

To add and additional 100 amps of service to a home in many cases will require a complete new electrical service entrance, including the electrical suppliers equipment.

100 amp service will provide 24 kw per hour or 24 kwh.
cool, but you didn't answered the question... Why do you assume you would need to charge at home at such a high rate?
It is because I now only drive the Tesla about 14k miles per year which is just a few hundred miles each week so only about 8 hours of charge time each week. Most nights I plug it in so I start out with a 200 mile range each day. If I drove it 25,000 miles a year I’d go with the faster 80 amp charger(100amp breaker) that I have at our northern MN home. If I was driving 35,000 miles/year like I used to or more than 250 miles a day a few times a month, I’m not sure I would want electric unless it had something like a 350 mile range which the new version of my Tesla does.

My wife drives a Range Rover diesel and I’ll always have to have something like that for towing. The current BEV’s like the Ford F-150 Lightning have about 1/3 the towing range of our Rover. Unacceptable in my book especially when I’ll be dragging a 25’ boat 1900 miles south each fall and back north again each spring. In my diesel I can do the drive comfortably in 3 days and in a Lightning it would take at least 5 days and I’m not sure the chargers available for Fords(non-Tesla) are currently spaced properly where even 5 days would be enough.
250 miles a day comute sounds brutal!
I drive 60, 4 days a week and think it's too much! The lakes I use my boat on are only 7 and 14 miles away!
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I checked out the Hyundai site to get their EV specs. They claim they can charge “guickly” with there “700 volt charging system”. No mention of what kw capacity you need to feed this system.
it's 350kW. There is a reason these chargers cost around a quarter mil to install.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
cool, but you didn't answered the question... Why do you assume you would need to charge at home at such a high rate?
I drive 60, 4 days a week and think it's too much! The lakes I use my boat on are only 7 and 14 miles away!
You absolutely do not need to charge at a high rate at home if your charging all night…(assuming there are not millions of others also charging all night) and you are staying within the daily range of your transportation needs. If you know anything about the US electrical infrastructure, the peak electricval load occurs in the evening. After that, the electrical demand falls off dramatically and it’s becomes the perfect time to charge EV’s

Thinking you’re going to drive an EV across country, and charge your battery in 10 minutes to continue on is not theoretically possible.

EDIT: Sorry, not thoretically possible just realistically not possible….

Last edited:

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great thread. Lots of interesting responses and opinions. However, we cannot lose perspective on the fact that the Bronco was designed as an off road vehicle.; As such, any interest in the EV Bronco would be Mall Crawlers and ego idiots.

What would be the point?

NinjahGoose

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It is because I now only drive the Tesla about 14k miles per year which is just a few hundred miles each week so only about 8 hours of charge time each week. Most nights I plug it in so I start out with a 200 mile range each day. If I drove it 25,000 miles a year I’d go with the faster 80 amp charger(100amp breaker) that I have at our northern MN home. If I was driving 35,000 miles/year like I used to or more than 250 miles a day a few times a month, I’m not sure I would want electric unless it had something like a 350 mile range which the new version of my Tesla does.

My wife drives a Range Rover diesel and I’ll always have to have something like that for towing. The current BEV’s like the Ford F-150 Lightning have about 1/3 the towing range of our Rover. Unacceptable in my book especially when I’ll be dragging a 25’ boat 1900 miles south each fall and back north again each spring. In my diesel I can do the drive comfortably in 3 days and in a Lightning it would take at least 5 days and I’m not sure the chargers available for Fords(non-Tesla) are currently spaced properly where even 5 days would be enough.
Your reasoning behind the diesel tow vehicle is the exact reason why I just cancelled my reservation for a Rivian R1T, I need to be able to tow a 3000lb boat/trailer 150 miles one way.

The main argument I see about home charging is the amount of time it takes to charge to full on Level 2. Think about this, how often is you car at home parked with a full tank of gas? I don't know about the rest of you but my 4Runner never has a full tank of gas parked in the garage.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great thread. Lots of interesting responses and opinions. However, we cannot lose perspective on the fact that the Bronco was designed as an off road vehicle.; As such, any interest in the EV Bronco would be Mall Crawlers and ego idiots.

What would be the point?
So 99% of Bronco/Wrangler owners? I'm going to include myself there, I have off roaded my Wrangler a few times but not enough not to call it a mall crawler. The Bronco will likely have the same fate.

I've owned a PHEV for close to 9 years and I likely won't purchase an EV as my next car due to cost.

As an accountant, my opinion is that an EV will save you about $10k in 100k miles of use (the average battery warranty on an EV) compared to an EQUIVALENT ICE vehicle. I purchased my 2014 Volt new for about $22,500 after the tax credit which made it closer to the cost of a souped up Corolla, enough savings for me to consider taking the risk of buying what was basically an experimental vehicle. PHEVs are extremely complicated and expensive to manufacture, they essentially have two drivetrains. I've been lucky, the first gen of the Volt was extremely overdesigned.

Nowadays, I don't think a desirable EV exists that is within the $10k threshold of an equivalent ICE for me to buy another EV as a commuter. My next commuter car will likely be an ICE.

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

What would be the point?
Speak for yourself. I'll off-road in an EV no problem. If I run low on power out on the trail, I'm going to go full Doc Brown and install a lightning rod that leads right into the batteries. 1.21 GIGAWATTS! How's THAT for fast charging?!

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My 2014 Volt takes 4 hours to add 30-40 miles of range to the battery at maximum allowed voltage of 220v(it also has a gasoline engine), the 2022 Hyundai Ionic 5 takes 18 minutes to add over 200 miles to the battery.

This is literally how much EV battery technology has improved in 8 years...
That’s how much charging tech has improved. Battery tech has really not improved as fast as we’d like.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for posting the chart. My point exactly.

To add and additional 100 amps of service to a home in many cases will require a complete new electrical service entrance, including the electrical suppliers equipment.

100 amp service will provide 24 kw per hour or 24 kwh.
And mine is underground. Not sure what the line side is currently rated at.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

What would be the point?
I'd take a hybrid with 25 mile range, because the battery fairies have told me battery tech is going to increase exponentially by like next week (so magically I will have 100 mile range with same size battery) and even then I don't really need it, as I'm told I don't drive more than 30 miles a day (and no one else does either).

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I worked in outside sales for over 20 years and the farthest reaches of my sales territory was 185 miles away so it was fairly easy to do 200+ miles in a day. I averaged about 800 miles a week for about a decade between work and running my 3 kids around to all their activities as a coach for some of their sports. My wife traveled for work 130+ days each year so it was a busy time and looking back, I don’t know how we did it. Our youngest got her driver’s license 16 months ago and is driving over 1,600 miles each month which explains why I’m only driving about 1,000 miles a month.

I now spend more time in my boat than I do in my car as our retirement home is on a lake. :)

Last edited:

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

According to this future products forecast, along with a BEV Ranger. Current Bronco will be built till 2029 with a update that will take it to 2035, pending changes in the market (i.e. BEVs take off and it make no sense to keep ICE production)

Ford Bronco 7th Gen 2030 Bronco Coming End of 2029, Together With Electric Bronco EV (TE1 Platform) 1673446618563

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Production of increasingly efficient internal combustion engines makes all the sense in the world. Sadly it is not in the government's best interest to keep it's citizens mobile with inexpensive vehicles.

GiddyUpThatPony

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mustang Mach-E Coupe coming. I’m looking forward to seeing that.
Sponsored