Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand that most everyone here probably wants a true Bronco. Even I ordered the Wildtrak model. But, I have a question and don't want to offend anyone. Basically, I've been keeping track of what is happening globally. In general, there are water shortages in at least five countries and uncontrollable fires as well. Some people are claiming the unusual temperatures will continue and are due in part to climate change. The climate change is because of many things, but particularly the burning of fossil fuels.

I also read that the administration wants to mitigate climate change by producing more EV's in the future and eventually limiting the production of gas vehicles. If this is true, then while it would be great to have the New Broncos, I have a feeling that maybe part of the delays might have to do with a phasing out of the gas bronco and transitioning to a hybrid or EV Bronco. This is just speculation on my part.

The reason for this thought is because it seems odd that a manufacturer who has been in business for quite a long time, can't produce a car without all of the associated issues and continual delays. Aside from semiconductor shortages, covid, and so on, they have opened the factories and there is more than one roof maker one would hope. Also, a smart business decision might be to use the current semiconductors originally meant for broncos in the F150's since a ton of them are already built. Customers are meant to believe roof issues won't be resolved until 2022-23. So, there is nothing stopping Ford from stalling until the new year when decisions are made about EV's and Hybrids. In the meantime, they produce a few hundred at a time, get some orders filled, in efforts to keep people's hopes up, but in reality future Broncos might be built that are more in line with the global push. The excuse will be that the EV or Hybrid will be the only options available.

It is true that there is a global shortage of chips, but it is also true that Ford may have put aside a stock of chips for certain vehicles. I'm just saying. Using those chips on vehicles already built makes business sense. Sending those vehicles to car lots with mechanics who can install those chips, (if trained), helps them move forward with other plans. They simply may not have the personnel to accomplish everything and only they know the truth.

The question: If any of this is true, would anyone switch to an EV or Hybrid Bronco if that was the only option left?
WAT DID I JUST READ ... OP, this you?

331_ne_ef_qanon_shaman_to_buy_05_paid.jpg

njcoach24

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would switch depending on the range. I'd buy a Bronco EV if the range was at least 500 miles minimum. The rate battery technology is advancing it probably won't be long until 1000 miles + isn't unusual. My Bronco will probably be the last ICE vehicle I own. I pre-ordered a Rivian R1T before the Bronco was announced, haven't cancelled yet but will probaby do so when I get my Bronco.
I’m in the same boat…I have an R1T on order and a Bronco Badlands. For sure, I have a feeling driving the bronco I’ll be smiling ear to ear. MPG is awful around 17…and at 60K for the bronco, another 15K puts me in a loaded R1T that is top of the line. Neither car is cheap so I better be 100% happy in it. And I’m leaning towards the Bronco, I’m a Ford guy.

2 concerns…buying a gas car (that does 17mpg) now is like buying a VHS tape when Blu-Ray was about to drop. Same goes for electric and since it is basically tech, the technology of charging and miles is improving quicker…solid slate fast charging batteries could be out in 2 years and make every electric car out there or coming out completely obsolete.

as the author of the thread posted it seems like we are going down a path of no new gas cars sooner than later, will be interesting how this all plays out.

https://www.reuters.com/business/re...an-new-fossil-fuel-car-sales-2035-2021-07-14/

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m in the same boat…I have an R1T on order and a Bronco Badlands. For sure, I have a feeling driving the bronco I’ll be smiling ear to ear. MPG is awful around 17…and at 60K for the bronco, another 15K puts me in a loaded R1T that is top of the line. Neither car is cheap so I better be 100% happy in it. And I’m leaning towards the Bronco, I’m a Ford guy.

2 concerns…buying a gas car (that does 17mpg) now is like buying a VHS tape when Blu-Ray was about to drop. Same goes for electric and since it is basically tech, the technology of charging and miles is improving quicker…solid slate fast charging batteries could be out in 2 years and make every electric car out there or coming out completely obsolete.

as the author of the thread posted it seems like we are going down a path of no new gas cars sooner than later, will be interesting how this all plays out.

https://www.reuters.com/business/re...an-new-fossil-fuel-car-sales-2035-2021-07-14/
I’d love a PHEV version of a Bronco (full disclosure - my wife has a RAV4 Prime and gets 40+ miles on electric. She has used less than a tank of gas in 7 months of her normal driving , aside from a long road trip). However, after seeing the TFL video where they ran a Jeep 4xe on the trail and got less than 5 miles of range (vs the 26.6 they got with it in the road) I think it will be a while before any full electric (BEV) is viable for off-roading of any range. I hope it will happen soon, but I’ll enjoy my Bronco until then…

njcoach24

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d love a PHEV version of a Bronco (full disclosure - my wife has a RAV4 Prime and gets 40+ miles on electric. She has used less than a tank of gas in 7 months of her normal driving , aside from a long road trip). However, after seeing the TFL video where they ran a Jeep 4xe on the trail and got less than 5 miles of range (vs the 26.6 they got with it in the road) I think it will be a while before any full electric (BEV) is viable for off-roading of any range. I hope it will happen soon, but I’ll enjoy my Bronco until then…
which video? Do you have the link?

I agree with everything else you’ve said…especially when you maybe off the grid and the only option is a gas station.

Sponsored

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
I understand that most everyone here probably wants a true Bronco. Even I ordered the Wildtrak model. But, I have a question and don't want to offend anyone. Basically, I've been keeping track of what is happening globally. In general, there are water shortages in at least five countries and uncontrollable fires as well. Some people are claiming the unusual temperatures will continue and are due in part to climate change. The climate change is because of many things, but particularly the burning of fossil fuels.

I also read that the administration wants to mitigate climate change by producing more EV's in the future and eventually limiting the production of gas vehicles. If this is true, then while it would be great to have the New Broncos, I have a feeling that maybe part of the delays might have to do with a phasing out of the gas bronco and transitioning to a hybrid or EV Bronco. This is just speculation on my part.

The reason for this thought is because it seems odd that a manufacturer who has been in business for quite a long time, can't produce a car without all of the associated issues and continual delays. Aside from semiconductor shortages, covid, and so on, they have opened the factories and there is more than one roof maker one would hope. Also, a smart business decision might be to use the current semiconductors originally meant for broncos in the F150's since a ton of them are already built. Customers are meant to believe roof issues won't be resolved until 2022-23. So, there is nothing stopping Ford from stalling until the new year when decisions are made about EV's and Hybrids. In the meantime, they produce a few hundred at a time, get some orders filled, in efforts to keep people's hopes up, but in reality future Broncos might be built that are more in line with the global push. The excuse will be that the EV or Hybrid will be the only options available.

It is true that there is a global shortage of chips, but it is also true that Ford may have put aside a stock of chips for certain vehicles. I'm just saying. Using those chips on vehicles already built makes business sense. Sending those vehicles to car lots with mechanics who can install those chips, (if trained), helps them move forward with other plans. They simply may not have the personnel to accomplish everything and only they know the truth.

The question: If any of this is true, would anyone switch to an EV or Hybrid Bronco if that was the only option left?
Absolutely I’d go either way if they were options.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm buying the Bronco because it has a Stick Shift. Ford would never build a hybrid or BEV with a clutch pedal, so that's a straight up NO.

If that were the only option left, I'd buy another Mustang, or God Forbid, a Challenger.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
which video? Do you have the link?

I agree with everything else you’ve said…especially when you maybe off the grid and the only option is a gas station.

This “preview” aired tonight - the actual video footage has to be edited and they plan on releasing Wednesday.

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure why someone would think that a viewpoint about electric vehicles is political.
Your question may not have been political, but your preramble... or I mean preamble... was.☮

BroncMO

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would switch today even if it wasn't the only option available.

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And the use of dictionaries can be used in other cases as well. But, in this case, not necessary.
Heaven forbid someone use an actual dictionary definition.
Ford Bronco Bronco BEV Electric Vehicle science

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This “preview” aired tonight - the actual video footage has to be edited and they plan on releasing Wednesday.
I think it's important to note that they basically drove uphill the whole way. If their were downhill portions the battery would be able to partially recharge

SillySpider

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon / 2017 JK Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the thing that is helping the transition to electric work is that electric vehicles tend to be quick. I mean, I like driving fast things (though I rarely own them). It's one of the things that had me raise my eyebrows looking at a 4xe. I save money and it's faster?! Like way faster?! I know it's a Jeep, but a fast Jeep is bad ass! Hybrids have more appeal to me at the moment than pure electric vehicles -mostly because I drive from Washington to Arizona a fair bit and would have to stop and wait too much to recharge batteries on a pure electric.

How much of my total monthly payment would be removed by my wife using the 4xe instead of the JK to drive her 30 mile trip to work and back? The only thing that would suck is since it has to be a 4 door, I'd definitely have to lift again ($$$$) to make me feel cool with the wheelbase. The 2 door Sasquatch will require very little modification, maybe a leveling kit??? I like it better too -but that dang Jeep and the delays have had me thinking...

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it's important to note that they basically drove uphill the whole way. If their were downhill portions the battery would be able to partially recharge
The important thing to note is that range is drastically reduced under high torque conditions. If you want to be ridiculously generous and double the range in case they do some downhill driving, I’m still not signing up for that yet (if I only had battery).
Obviously I’m a fan of electric, but somebody is going to have to prove significant range on real trail conditions (and have a lot of nearby chargers) before I drop coin for one of these.
Sponsored