Sponsored

Bronco Build for UP Michigan (Need Input)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would appreciate some guidance from any 6G Yoopers or anyone who lives in extreme snowy climates. My wife and I are leaving SoCal and moving to Marquette in a couple of months. Originally when I made my reservation, we had no intention of leaving SoCal so I reserved a Badlands thinking I'd be heading out to Joshua Tree with my buddy. Since I'll be trading rocks and deserts for forests and snow, it occurred to me that I might need to rethink my need for the Badlands' 33s and disconnecting sway bar for the Black Diamond with the Sasquatch's front and rear lockers instead. I've attached my build. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated -- and yes, I know how cold it is there. I will take cold clean air over toxic wildfire smoke any day! Thanks friends!
Sponsored

Attachments

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of Rocks in the UP! Get heated seats and the hard top with insulation. Maybe a block heater? Tons of awesome rally type roads too. In general, not much “typical” off roading in the winter, snow is to deep!

OP
OP
SpaceBronco_Yamato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lots of Rocks in the UP! Get heated seats and the hard top with insulation. Maybe a block heater? Tons of awesome rally type roads too. In general, not much “typical” off roading in the winter, snow is to deep!
Thank you!

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really any vehicle with a bit of clearance and a set of winter tires is 100% fine in the UP.

Source: snowboarded Mount Bohemia every winter for years. Got around with a Saturn SC1 on a set of General Altimax Arctics just fine.

Sponsored

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would appreciate some guidance from any 6G Yoopers or anyone who lives in extreme snowy climates. My wife and I are leaving SoCal and moving to Marquette in a couple of months. Originally when I made my reservation, we had no intention of leaving SoCal so I reserved a Badlands thinking I'd be heading out to Joshua Tree with my buddy. Since I'll be trading rocks and deserts for forests and snow, it occurred to me that I might need to rethink my need for the Badlands' 33s and disconnecting sway bar for the Black Diamond with the Sasquatch's front and rear lockers instead. I've attached my build. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated -- and yes, I know how cold it is there. I will take cold clean air over toxic wildfire smoke any day! Thanks friends!
Love the UP!!!

OP
OP
SpaceBronco_Yamato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really any vehicle with a bit of clearance and a set of winter tires is 100% fine in the UP.

Source: snowboarded Mount Bohemia every winter for years. Got around with a Saturn SC1 on a set of General Altimax Arctics just fine.
That’s great to know. Getting my ‘07 Mustang fitted with snow tires before shipping it out to get me around until the Bronco is delivered.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The UP got me started with 4x4s. Summers fishing up from Chicago. Trying to get to lakes via forest trails and getting stuck, is a reason I bought my first CJ. I think you will want to be able to handle some mud, along with tree branch protection on a new vehicle. But damn, midwest weather is rotten, and the UP over winter? Good luck.

oh, and invest in plenty of Deep Woods Off mosquito repellent!

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I might need to rethink my need for the Badlands' 33s and disconnecting sway bar for the Black Diamond with the Sasquatch's front and rear lockers instead.
Don't forget that the Badlands automatically comes with front and rear lockers anyways. It's why the Samsquanch package is so much cheaper.

As others have stated, winter tires and ground clearance. The UP is a beautiful part of the country. Enjoy it.

UPnort

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Socal to da UP? Hope you've been there before. Between lack of people or anything for that matter combined w snowbanks taller than your vehicle you prolly wont last more than a year or two. If your looking to get away from it all though and find Gods country, you hit the jackpot.

As far as builds BD w Mid would be perfect... except you cant get Mid w a manuel if going that route.

Sponsored

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having lived and driven there for half of my life. More ground clearance the better. And pick a trim that has the 4WD automatic on demand system. Disconnent sways isn't needed. Whatever tires it has; get yourself a dedicated set of winter tires. Good tires is the best thing you can do for tracksion. No softtop. Get the hard top. Get the optional engine block heater. Those thing work amazing no matter how cold it gets. Remote start is so nice; and almost a necessity. Stay away from the leather seats. Cloth or the vinyl . Heated seats and steering wheel is really nice if you can afford it. But if its in the budget; opt for the lux package. It has a lot of useful things that will help with the cold.

OP
OP
SpaceBronco_Yamato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Socal to da UP? Hope you've been there before. Between lack of people or anything for that matter combined w snowbanks taller than your vehicle you prolly wont last more than a year or two. If your looking to get away from it all though and find Gods country, you hit the jackpot.

As far as builds BD w Mid would be perfect... except you cant get Mid w a manuel if going that route.
My wife’s originally from MI but we’re not leaving SoCal entirely due to her job. So we’ll still have a place to come running back to if we can’t handle the cold, ha. Otherwise I’m totally stoked. I’ve lived in extreme heat conditions most of my adult life so a change will be welcomed.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

. And pick a trim that has the 4WD automatic on demand system.
Just curious as to why you suggest auto 4x4? When it’s slick conditions out you can just put it in 4H and then you are good to go. If you are getting good traction put it back in 2H. Is that not how the standard 4x4 would work?

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just curious as to why you suggest auto 4x4? When it’s slick conditions out you can just put it in 4H and then you are good to go. If you are getting good traction put it back in 2H. Is that not how the standard 4x4 would work?
Or you can just keep it in Snow mode for a few months out of the year and just let the truck figure it out.
Sponsored