Sponsored

Bronco Build for UP Michigan (Need Input)

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious as to why you suggest auto 4x4? When it’s slick conditions out you can just put it in 4H and then you are good to go. If you are getting good traction put it back in 2H. Is that not how the standard 4x4 would work?
Black ice. If you just driving in 2H thinking you don't need it. And you loose tracksion; it will put it in 4wd automatically. Probably faster than you can do it yourself. Or maybe you have your hands full if it decides to fish-tail.
Sponsored

UPnort

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Black ice. If you just driving in 2H thinking you don't need it. And you loose tracksion; it will put it in 4wd automatically. Probably faster than you can do it yourself. Or maybe you have your hands full if it decides to fish-tail.
I wouldnt say there is a lot of black ice in the UP. Mostly just snow or salt you will be driving on.

camnut

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Awesome I was born in Marquette, only lived there 9 years of my life. My mom grew up there ...... I have gone up there to hang out with my uncle and do some off roading. If you want the best pastys go to Jean Kay's;)

OP
OP
SpaceBronco_Yamato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome I was born in Marquette, only lived there 9 years of my life. My mom grew up there ...... I have gone up there to hang out with my uncle and do some off roading. If you want the best pastys go to Jean Kay's;)
Thx for the suggestion! Always love great food.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've only heard of Lawrey's? Haven't been there in 13 years but it has all the businesses you'll need. I don't see why some people think it's so isolated that stuff in hard to find. I had someone from D.C. ask me if we had electricity back in 1998. Seriously?

Sponsored
OP
OP
SpaceBronco_Yamato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've only heard of Lawrey's? Haven't been there in 13 years but it has all the businesses you'll need. I don't see why some people think it's so isolated that stuff in hard to find. I had someone from D.C. ask me if we had electricity back in 1998. Seriously?
Lol - yeah when we found out we could get fiber optic cable, that was the icing on the proverbial cake. Great place in downtown called The Delft if you ever make it up there again.

camnut

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow with? It's a small town yes but c'mon...
That's crazy... y'all have a bakery that sells a kringle, right? Mmmmm so good

camnut

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry but never was a fan of lawry's ?

camnut

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I lived in Minnesota most my life and can say black ice, is scary! So It don't matter where u live, just be careful and be aware! Take it easy and go slow :)

JRS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good info here. I’m in Milwaukee and want to take my new Bronco to the UP at some point. Can someone explain how the engine block heater actually works?

Sponsored

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My wife’s originally from MI but we’re not leaving SoCal entirely due to her job. So we’ll still have a place to come running back to if we can’t handle the cold, ha. Otherwise I’m totally stoked. I’ve lived in extreme heat conditions most of my adult life so a change will be welcomed.
I'm really curious how 6 months of darkness and cold will change your opinion....

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Kringles are from Racine. Pasties in the UP!

How do all feel about 4A for black ice? Worth it?

Reactions: JRS

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just curious as to why you suggest auto 4x4? When it’s slick conditions out you can just put it in 4H and then you are good to go. If you are getting good traction put it back in 2H. Is that not how the standard 4x4 would work?
In reality it's a pain is the ass. For example I have a steep driveway, and while they salt the main roads they use a a road grader in the residential areas. Main road-2wd, in my sub 4wd except in the salted intersections, so back to 2wd drive to make the turn, then back to 4wd to my house, but there is enough traction from the grading to cause the 4wd to bind when turning, so back back to 2wd to turn into my driveway, then I have to stop, put it in 4wd to get up the drive and finally I'm home. That's all in the span of a quarter mile.

OP
OP
SpaceBronco_Yamato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm really curious how 6 months of darkness and cold will change your opinion....
I’m open to it. Sounds dreamy compared to steady wildfires, orange skies and constant smoke headaches.

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having lived and driven there for half of my life. More ground clearance the better. And pick a trim that has the 4WD automatic on demand system. Disconnent sways isn't needed. Whatever tires it has; get yourself a dedicated set of winter tires. Good tires is the best thing you can do for tracksion. No softtop. Get the hard top. Get the optional engine block heater. Those thing work amazing no matter how cold it gets. Remote start is so nice; and almost a necessity. Stay away from the leather seats. Cloth or the vinyl . Heated seats and steering wheel is really nice if you can afford it. But if its in the budget; opt for the lux package. It has a lot of useful things that will help with the cold.
I couldn't have said it better.
Sponsored