Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you think Ford will offer as far as camping accessories?

I thought I liked the idea of a rooftop tent but I hear that they aren’t that great when it’s windy and most jeep campers would prefer to sleep in the cab. They also make removing your hard top much more difficult. BUT I’m 90% sure I want a 2door so sleeping in the cab is going to be difficult unless ford has something creative up there sleeves.

For this reason I’m thinking about making a teardrop trailer to tow behind. Until I get that I will just resort to old fashion tent camping I think.

Maybe factory slide outs for the rear storage? Slide out tables? I know I saw a patent drawing for an awning that doubles as a mesh roof.

Thought? Suggestions? Preferences on camping style?
Sponsored

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The rooftop tents are popular out here in the mountains, but I'm still not sold. We like to setup for a couple of days and hike, fish , mtn bike. So breaking down each day gets to be a pain. Prolly sticking to tent camping for now.

Definitely interested in building sliding drawers for food prep. Prefer a hard top w/ a good rack at least 4 feet wide, awning, fly rod tubes etc.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah, I don’t get rooftop tents. They are expensive and heavy. You’ll have to level the vehicle, last I checked mountain lions and bears can climb, and if you have to make a beer run you have to break camp.

QuandAns42

First Name
Charlotte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
audi A4
Ford isn't going to be producing much in the way of camping accessories themselves I'd figure. Most of that type of gear is made by third party companies with compatibility for various models. Thule would be my recommendation as they've been making all sorts of add-ons forever.
Rooftop overlanding isn't about staying out of reach of wildlife- it's moreso about not needing to worry about finding n otherwise 'suitable' campsite. Anywhere youcan get your wheels, your house is there with you.

Sponsored

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hope to see some roof rack accessories for storing camp gear up on that hardtop roof rack. Also hoping that they'll do a good job of adding power receptacles and power management stuff for the rear cargo area (for the Dometic, of course!).

One of the first aftermarket accessories I'd like to see are brackets for mounting an awning to that hardtop roof rail.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you go on the Ranger configurator, they show a ton of Yakima stuff in the accessories tab. I'd imagine the Bronco is going to, at the very least, get the SUV version of everything listed there.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As someone who has a rooftop tent on their bronco, I can say that they are nice to sleep in up there in the breeze. Especially if you have the lower annex which gives my wife a place to change cloths and setup a pee toilet. However putting the annex on is a pain in the butt. The setup im most interested in for the new bronco is a pop up hard top like ones that are available for the wrangler from a couple companies. If it could be made to only be a couple hundred pounds more than the stardard top then it wouldnt be that much of a weight penalty. Setup everything else like you kitchen box and other gear under a popup and you are set. Then when you want to go wheeling during the day and leave camp all you really have to do is make your bed a lil and pull down the top. An even wilder idea would be to make the top mounts easy and tool-less and just pull up under a tree, unclip, throw your winch line and block up over a limb. Then hoist your top, pull out then lower it down. Then you have nice solid tent off the ground and topless bronco to go play in. Just hope it doesnt rain or get a bikini top.

I like to get crazy with camp setups!

Broncosaur

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I don’t get rooftop tents. They are expensive and heavy. You’ll have to level the vehicle, last I checked mountain lions and bears can climb, and if you have to make a beer run you have to break camp.
and they flap real bad on the highway...:p
Lockable gun storage would be nice.

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, LUBR, Chrome Yellow, 2016 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Sponsored
OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rooftop tents are too much. If you're scared of coyotes and mt lions just lay your sleeping bag out on the roof. If its raining, free shower. You probably needed one anyway.
Haha its not that I fear the wildlife, my wolf dog will scare most creatures away anyways. But with integrated mattress pads I hear they are very comfy and can be convenient depending on brand and $$$$

OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford isn't going to be producing much in the way of camping accessories themselves I'd figure. Most of that type of gear is made by third party companies with compatibility for various models. Thule would be my recommendation as they've been making all sorts of add-ons forever.
Rooftop overlanding isn't about staying out of reach of wildlife- it's moreso about not needing to worry about finding n otherwise 'suitable' campsite. Anywhere youcan get your wheels, your house is there with you.
The bronco has a huge camping heritage. Even one of the symbols on the camo is a tent. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of tent integration from factory.

OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hope to see some roof rack accessories for storing camp gear up on that hardtop roof rack. Also hoping that they'll do a good job of adding power receptacles and power management stuff for the rear cargo area (for the Dometic, of course!).

One of the first aftermarket accessories I'd like to see are brackets for mounting an awning to that hardtop roof rail.
I really hope there is a roof rack that doesn’t interfere with removal of the roof too much. That would be slick!!

OP
OP
@BadBlueBronco

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who has a rooftop tent on their bronco, I can say that they are nice to sleep in up there in the breeze. Especially if you have the lower annex which gives my wife a place to change cloths and setup a pee toilet. However putting the annex on is a pain in the butt. The setup im most interested in for the new bronco is a pop up hard top like ones that are available for the wrangler from a couple companies. If it could be made to only be a couple hundred pounds more than the stardard top then it wouldnt be that much of a weight penalty. Setup everything else like you kitchen box and other gear under a popup and you are set. Then when you want to go wheeling during the day and leave camp all you really have to do is make your bed a lil and pull down the top. An even wilder idea would be to make the top mounts easy and tool-less and just pull up under a tree, unclip, throw your winch line and block up over a limb. Then hoist your top, pull out then lower it down. Then you have nice solid tent off the ground and topless bronco to go play in. Just hope it doesnt rain or get a bikini top.

I like to get crazy with camp setups!
This is exactly the type of stuff I was hoping to hear from this thread. That rooftop hoist would be killer. Great idea!

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The bronco has a huge camping heritage. Even one of the symbols on the camo is a tent. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of tent integration from factory.
Yes, but no way in hell is Ford going to make it themselves, they will probably have other aftermarket company's do it and list it as a an option and ship it to the dealer hell even gm does this with there carbon fiber bits
Sponsored