Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This surprised me. I was in 4H leftover from the weekend camping trip, just hadn't switched it back. Normal mode, just 4H. I went to meet my wife for dinner last night, and was rolling through the parking lot, foot off the throttle. I slowed down a little and started to turn into a parking spot - no other vehicles around, so no parking sensor stuff. As I turned, it braked itself and came to an easy full stop. Not sudden, no emergency braking, it just came to a stop as I was about halfway into the spot, front wheels still turned. Parking brake was not on. I had to goose the throttle to get it to move again and get parked. Then I looked down and realized I was still in 4H, wondering if that had something to do with it?

I've experienced the emergency braking, so that wasn't it. When we got home from camping on Sunday, we washed it including the underside, and I got a Parking Brake Fault. I assume that had something to with the wash, because it didn't happen again, like when I went to dinner last night.
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It didn't brake itself. As you turned while in 4H on dry pavement the frontend bound up. You do not want to run 4H or 4L on dry pavement. As soon as you make a turn, bad things are going to happen.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Public service announcement
4H is not 4A (Auto) and they are not ment to be interchangeable.
Once you get on paved roads you should not be in 4H driving down the highway at 65 mph.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Driveline Bind. That's what 4x4 vehicles do when in part time 4wd high or low range. Puts extra stress on the driveline components.
Maybe you should study up on how it all works.

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Bronco said, “Oowwwwww! Don’t do that again!” Mine had gotten left in 4H by mistake. Thought I had a flat tire when I pulled into a parking place.

With all of the electronic warnings, Ford forgot the “Your drive train is in a hellacious bind, you idiot! Please stop and determine what the problem is.”

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This surprised me. I was in 4H leftover from the weekend camping trip, just hadn't switched it back. Normal mode, just 4H. I went to meet my wife for dinner last night, and was rolling through the parking lot, foot off the throttle. I slowed down a little and started to turn into a parking spot - no other vehicles around, so no parking sensor stuff. As I turned, it braked itself and came to an easy full stop. Not sudden, no emergency braking, it just came to a stop as I was about halfway into the spot, front wheels still turned. Parking brake was not on. I had to goose the throttle to get it to move again and get parked. Then I looked down and realized I was still in 4H, wondering if that had something to do with it?

I've experienced the emergency braking, so that wasn't it. When we got home from camping on Sunday, we washed it including the underside, and I got a Parking Brake Fault. I assume that had something to with the wash, because it didn't happen again, like when I went to dinner last night.
Oh, it’s “breaking” alright.
The drive train is binding because you are in 4h on dry pavement.
2h or 4A only on dry pavement.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You stopped it by trying to make the front tires turn the same distance while cornering in 4wd on a high traction surface. One didn't slide/skip without some throttle.

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did this in my '89, it didn't like it.

Sponsored

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This will void your drivetrain warranty. Damage caused by running in 4h or 4l on pavement is not going to be covered. You can cause significant damage to the axles and transfercase. If you ever need any warranty work you should never mention you made this mistake.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would have created a terrible sound and the tire hop off the surface had you hit the throttle with some effort.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although I don't know all the fancy off-roading features of my Bronco and when to utilize them, understanding basic 4WD and how it works (and when it should/should not be used) should be a prerequisite for buying a vehicle like this. 🤦‍♂️

OP
OP
8cam

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok ok it makes perfect sense. I knew about 4H vs 4A, just didn't think about it at the time. I come from a Land Cruiser which is full time 4wd and this isn't even a consideration...unless you do something stupid like leave the lockers engaged. FWIW I've been doing this a long time, know exactly how 4wd works, low/high, locking diffs, etc. But this is an area where the Bronco works a little differently from traditional 4wd vehicles. I won't forget it again.
Sponsored