First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Bronco R is a 2 door with the 4 door wheelbase. Future Warthog/Raptor? I would be in on that.
Sponsored

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They did such a great job with the design of this thing. The last questioning him on which one he wants, I'm thinking his answer is hinting towards the warthog/raptor...
Yep! I heard it as, he was able to run wild with the Raptor and it is his favorite. I didn't look at his drawings close enough but wonder if he teased anything in them.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m blown away with how good the Bronco looks and the amount of detail and thought that went into it. Inside and out. I thought I had unattainable hopes in this regard but these guys surpassed them. Something that rarely seems to happen in this day and age. The Bronco seriously looks like it could only be a concept vehicle but itā€™s the real deal. What a remarkable feat. Iā€™m so grateful to him and his team. This thing truly is a work of art.

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco isn't just an incredible design exercise (it practically looks too good to be production), it genuinely seems to be an honest product.
100% THIS!!! I remember many years ago standing at the Los Angeles Auto Show gazing at the new Mustang concept and telling my buddy ā€œIf the production car looks like this, I will buy it on Day 1.ā€ Alas, the production car did not, in fact, look anything like that, as production cars are wont to do. They always end up smelling of surrender. (And I did not buy a Mustang then or any time since.)

Youā€˜re absolutely right: the most amazing thing about the new Bronco is the sheer impossibility of it being anything like it is as an actual production vehicle the Everyman can not only buy, but actually afford. It is, in agreement with one of your other points, only the 2nd new vehicle design Iā€™ve ever been truly excited about. The first being the Mazda Miata (which I wasnā€™t able to actually afford until the ā€˜94 model).

Just an utter triumph by the design team at Ford. Pure brilliance.

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford nailed this agreed with all previous posters. They should develop a hybrid down the line though

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They did such a great job with the design of this thing. The last questioning him on which one he wants, I'm thinking his answer is hinting towards the warthog/raptor...

If you are talking about at the end, 27 mins, ge said not sure 2dr or 4dr, one of three colors, and either base or black diamond but definitely 35's. I backed up and listened closely because I thought it ironic that the chief designer was looking at a base model or BD (lower trims)and not the badlands or wildtrak (higher trims). I wish they would have asked him why??

Carmaker1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE 4dr (His), '22 Bronco 7MT (Mine)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As I had said before during development, I knew it that 3 years would have elapsed between approval of the final designs in June/July 2018 and market launch in June 2021.

I said to higher-ups for the longest time that trying to cut development time doesn't always work and you'll always need to make allowances and end up at square one.

They wanted to go from final design concept to Job 1 in 29 months and I knew it wouldn't work. Even with virtual reality and CAD development, cars have traditionally taken an average of 3 years from final body shape to launch since the 70s.

Thankfully it won't be dated too easily for a very long time. This month was the second anniversary since design work was finalized.

100% THIS!!! I remember many years ago standing at the Los Angeles Auto Show gazing at the new Mustang concept and telling my buddy ā€œIf the production car looks like this, I will buy it on Day 1.ā€ Alas, the production car did not, in fact, look anything like that, as production cars are wont to do. They always end up smelling of surrender. (And I did not buy a Mustang then or any time since.)

Youā€˜re absolutely right: the most amazing thing about the new Bronco is the sheer impossibility of it being anything like it is as an actual production vehicle the Everyman can not only buy, but actually afford. It is, in agreement with one of your other points, only the 2nd new vehicle design Iā€™ve ever been truly excited about. The first being the Mazda Miata (which I wasnā€™t able to actually afford until the ā€˜94 model).

Just an utter triumph by the design team at Ford. Pure brilliance.
If you're referring to a Mustang concept that was shown at the old Los Angeles International Auto Show in January 2003, I'm guessing it must be this car and not the January 1993 Mach III concept that previewed 1994 Stang (December 1993)?

1993 Mach III (Created 1992; SN-95 Teaser)

Ford Bronco Bronco design boss Paul Wraith talks Bronco secrets and design process 4403113484_20c81ea71f_b

Ford Bronco Bronco design boss Paul Wraith talks Bronco secrets and design process Sn95_development_1990-91

(Oct 18 1990 SN-95 Clay Selection; Jan. 16 1991 design freeze)

The thing with that S197, is when the 2003 concept was delivered after a 9 month nine-month development period from February to November 2002, it was so much of a bait and switch. The thing is that a disclaimer was provided already. "This vehicle will not go into production".

Myself as a youth back then in January 2003, I was so shocked that Ford was developing such a cool car. I also wasn't aware it would only remain a concept only to be disappointed when I saw the production vehicle in January 2004 and wondering what the f**k happened?
Ford Bronco Bronco design boss Paul Wraith talks Bronco secrets and design process 2005_ford_mustang_with_bill_ford_100007228_m

The actual 2005 Mustang of course will not look like the concept, because it was the forbearer and improved upon for the 2003 show. From what I remember by October of 2001, the 2005 Mustang was already designed and only needed to reach design freeze by mid 2002.

S197 Program- March 2001
Ford Bronco Bronco design boss Paul Wraith talks Bronco secrets and design process S197_clay_march2001
Ford Bronco Bronco design boss Paul Wraith talks Bronco secrets and design process 546b22af9b440_-_27s197mustang-l

S197 Program-Nov 2001
Ford Bronco Bronco design boss Paul Wraith talks Bronco secrets and design process 546b22ab45844_-_30s197mustang-l
Ford Bronco Bronco design boss Paul Wraith talks Bronco secrets and design process 546b22b0b43a8_-_29s197mustang-l

By the time the 2005 Mustang was fully locked in and prototypes of it being assembled in 2002, while New Edge Mustang mules ran around the streets carrying D2C hardware with IRS, the concept still had not been fully finished but mostly designed by summer 2002.

Simply put, it was a decisive decision made in 2002 to liven up the concept vehicle, just like the Bronco R in 2019 and show it as a preview. Knowing fully well that the production intent vehicle did not look like that.

Folks gotta watch out and pick up on different types of concept cars they are being shown and differentiate between what's production intent and what isn't. Don't listen to the social media journalists who don't really know what they're talking about in some respects.

To my recollection, the only Mustang that truly went from show concept to production was the S550, which exterior was approved only 4 months after 2011 Evos concept showing in January 2012. Evos was designed in 2010-2011 to tease the 2013 Fusion rear end, but ongoing design work for 2015 Mustang.

Ford Bronco Bronco design boss Paul Wraith talks Bronco secrets and design process ford-evos-2011-09-12-600-17

Everything else Mustang has been standard operating procedure and ditto for Bronco. There is no actual time in a vehicle development process to base production decisions off of a concept's public feedback in 90% of cases. To do that would take 3 years from showing to production.

Bronco R concept was developed from July 2019 to October 2019, when production-spec prototypes were already testing Bronco in secret.

Now as for the MX-5 Miata, the '94 model was a good choice anyway, because it got a lot of mid-cycle updates that model year. I think '94 Miata was one of the first roadsters with a passenger airbag in 1993 after Porsche and Benz.

Last edited:

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Myself as a youth back then in January 2003, I was so shocked that Ford was developing such a cool car. I also wasn't aware it would only remain a concept only to be disappointed when I saw the production vehicle in January 2004 and wondering what the f**k happened?
Iā€™m reasonably confident those were the exact words that flew from my mouth at the time.
Sponsored