Sponsored

Bronco designed to meet crash standards w/o doors & roof?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The procedures are pretty in depth. I assume the Bronco is designed to meet all the major categories. The "donut doors" could very well create an issue with a specific test that made them "fail" because of the way they deformed, took energy, didn't take energy, transferred energy etc. No clue, just surprising how the test can be influenced by different design and engineering elements. Some vehicles that perform very well in one test can do terrible in another. The frontal offset barrier test was a major change that required a lot of engineering in the recent past. If you want your head to hurt, read through the test documents in the link below :)

https://www.safercar.gov/NCAP_Test_Procedures
Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you seen the "impact beams"? Pretty tough to have real structural impact beams and keep the doors light enough for a one person install/removal.
It doesn't matter if it's "tough"; it's a regulatory requirement that they do have them and that they meet the standard to protect from side intrusion.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure where they got this info as there are no citations. Perhaps they mean front impact? Because there's no way it would pass side impact without doors one would think. I guess crash test ratings will drop around the same time as fuel economy figures.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/2...eral-crash-standards-with-components-removed/
Side impact standards are designed to test intrusion into the cabin from deformation of the vehicle. Doors are usually a significant part of the structural strengthening of the cabin. If the Bronco was tested without doors and passed the crash tests, that would be an impressive feat. I could see where it could pass with the tube doors installed. With no doors, the roof and sill have to bear a lot more force. If this reveals to be true, that will be another huge marketing win over Jeep.

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From discussions on wrangler forums, I believe you can get in trouble in Pennsylvania for doors off.

One example: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/pa-jeepers-be-warned-you-can-get-fined.7231/
I live in PA and I think it may depend on where you live. Been driving with doors off for 7 years and never been stopped. I could see being near Philly or Pittsburgh maybe being a different story.

I've seen many cops and no issues at all.

Only time I would throw the doors on was for state inspection and over winter.

Sponsored

chrtra1

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hmmmm....does this mean that the rumor of the "donut doors" not meeting crash standards being utter bullshit?

If the vehicle meets the standards with no doors, how could adding a door with a hole in it, cause it to fail?
2021-ford-bronco-jpg.jpg
Also, how are the tube doors ok but not these. I've never understood why these couldn't pass.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmmm....does this mean that the rumor of the "donut doors" not meeting crash standards being utter bullshit?

If the vehicle meets the standards with no doors, how could adding a door with a hole in it, cause it to fail?
2021-ford-bronco-jpg.jpg
that would appear to be so and the first thing I thought when I jumped into this thread.

DLJohnson

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, how are the tube doors ok but not these. I've never understood why these couldn't pass.
I wonder if the 'Donut' doors collapse in such a way that would cause more harm to the occupant than not having a door at all.

Deleted member 3063

calling them donut doors is a insult to donuts everywhere. fugly

Sponsored

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In California, you're fine with no doors. The requirements are tied to the mirrors (need at least two rearward facing mirrors, including one on the driver side), so we're good with the Bronco's cowl-mounted mirrors.
Good to know! I have been procrastinating calling my retired CHP buddy and asking him. Can’t wait to ride around and see what it’s like now and then with doors off and the top off.

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Georgia has bumper height laws that are selectively enforced on lifted vehicles too. Piss off the wrong cop, or catch him on a bad day and who knows.
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=938725
In the early 90s my brother had a lifted '77 F250 WITH 38" Super Swampers. He got pulled 100 yards from our county line and the cop pulled out a tape measure... 1/2" too high, so he got a ticket. Must have been a slow revenue day.
Sponsored