broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am quite surprised that the Full Size Bronco does not have Lane Centering and only has the useless Lane Keeping, unlike the Bronco Sport. It also lacks the Stop & Go feature useful in traffic.

For information, Lane Centering is the equivalent of the basic Tesla Autopilot. Your car will drive itself on the highway, taking turns without issue and stay in the lane and slow down or accelerate as needed. Consumer reports praises the Ford Lane Centering system as one of the best in the industry, behind Tesla. I recently test drove a Bronco sport and I can confirm the Lane Centering with Intelligent adaptive cruise is game changing for long road trips.

Interestingly the more expensive Bronco full size only has basic adaptive cruise with Lane Keeping. Most people including myself find the Lane Keeping system useless and intrusive, all it does is alert you and send corrections in the steering when being too close to a lane. I always deactivate this feature on my rentals.

A lot of people on this forum do not like automated / advanced safety features and that's fine. But for those of us who like it it's disappointing to see that the much more expensive and newer Full Size Bronco doesn't have the most advanced feature of the little Sport.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am quite surprised that the Full Size Bronco does not have Lane Centering and only has the useless Lane Keeping, unlike the Bronco Sport.

For information, Lane Centering is the equivalent of the basic Tesla Autopilot. Your car will drive itself on the highway, taking turns without issue and stay in the lane and slow down or accelerate as needed. Consumer reports praises the Ford Lane Centering system as one of the best in the industry, behind Tesla. I recently test drove a Bronco sport and I can confirm the Lane Centering with Intelligent adaptive cruise is game changing for long road trips.

Interestingly the more expensive Bronco full size only has basic adaptive cruise with Lane Keeping. Most people including myself find the Lane Keeping system useless and intrusive, all it does is alert you and send corrections in the steering when being too close to a lane. I always deactivate this feature on my rentals.

A lot of people on this forum do not like automated / advanced safety features and that's fine. But for those of us who like it it's disappointing to see that the much more expensive and newer Full Size Bronco doesn't have the most advanced feature of the little Sport.
I haven't paid too much attention to these fancy safety features. But I thought the lux package has the more advanced lane keeping system. Is that not the case ?

LIKEABOSS

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I didn't realize that. I wonder what the rationale is? I thought was trying to keep these "safety" features uniform across their lineup. I have it on my Explorer ST and it's easy to turn off if you don't want to use it.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am quite surprised that the Full Size Bronco does not have Lane Centering and only has the useless Lane Keeping, unlike the Bronco Sport.

If highway tech features like Lane Centering are gating issues for you, then you should probably look more closely at the Sport.

Personally, I'm much more interested in offroad tech features (e.g., trail turn assist, stabilizer bar disconnect, 360-degree camera/spotter) than any highway tech features like Lane Centering.

Sponsored

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lux has adaptive cruise control. which on fords site advertising lane centering.

Not sure if it will carry through though

OP
OP
broncosor

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If highway tech features like Lane Centering are gating issues for you, then you should probably look more closely at the Sport.

Personally, I'm much more interested in offroad tech features (e.g., trail turn assist, stabilizer bar disconnect, 360-degree camera/spotter) than any highway tech features like Lane Centering.
I am also more interested in offroad features and that's why I take the full size and not the sport. But it's not because the full size has more off road capability that it shouldn't have a system Ford puts on all their vehicles.

All I am saying is it's disappointing not to have Lane Centering on a vehicle this price when other cheaper Ford vehicle have it.

I haven't paid too much attention to these fancy safety features. But I thought the lux package has the more advanced lane keeping system. Is that not the case ?
No it does not. Lux gives you Adaptive Cruise but not the advanced Lane Centering.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yea, this is total BS, Ford has lost me.

How else am I going to safely drive through MOAB while sipping on a iced Caramel Macchiato and catching up with friends on the hands-free if the stupid POS Bronco doesn't automatically steer for me?

I'm an attentive driver, it's all the OTHER people that make driving dangerous. Thankfully I let the car steer for me as it's drastically more capable of paying attention to my driving than I am.

Since the Bronco is incapable of operating itself safely on Americas roadways, may I suggest using mis-information to try and beguile others so they drive much more safely around you? This might reduce your insurance rates as well.

Ford Bronco Bronco does not have Lane Centering yellow-baby-on-board-sign-sticker-with-cheerful-baby-1539962455.6733391[1]

And onto related news:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/11/iihs-study-underlines-the-perils-of-driver-disengagement/

" It turns out there’s a name for the false sense of security provided by modern driving aids. According to researchers with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s AgeLab, the phenomenon is called “driver disengagement” and it’s assumed to be a contributing factor to roadways fatalities. The duo recently published a rather basic study examining how evolving automotive technologies might be eroding safety under the guise of progress. "

Balthezor

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife has a Tesla Model Y and I drive it sometimes to work at 48 miles on way. I rarely, if ever use the auto pilot. I pass other cars too much to bother with it.

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I agree, it is BS.

Sponsored

OldGrayMare

Badlands
First Name
Jami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '67 Tempest, '85 Yota SR5, '16 ATS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dang! I was hoping to use the lane centering feature on the trails. Now I’ll have to do it the old fashion way. ?

I see your point though. When paying for all the bells and whistles you would think that means getting all the best stuff Ford has to offer. Looking at it from Ford’s perspective, it’s like the lack of power seats on the washout interior. (Somebody would try to spray the water hose on their power seats and wonder why they quit working.) As smart as we humans are, we still like to try dumb things. There’d be that one person who can’t understand why they crashed their bronco on a 4? trail while using that feature. “I was using the lane centering, why didn’t it keep me in the center of the trail?!?”?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have to agree with you on one thing. I do keep the lane keeping off in the wife's Mustang. It's just too damn sensitive. But lane centering is something the Bronco can have, or not. Wouldn't bother me either way.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
FWIW, the active driver assist package is a $2,000 stand alone option on the Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifolgio.

The Bronco is not a luxury car, it is body on frame off road vehicle. It also cannot be compared directly to the Bronco Sport (which is a tarted up Escape) that they should mirror tech and costs is a logical error.

That billion dollars or so sunk into the actual Bronco's chassis and frame weren't to develop a minivan or Model Y competitor. In fact, on the tech front you would be vastly better served with a Mustang..... A Mustang Mach-E to be precise.

But you're not a cheap ass (are you?), you want the tech, the image AND the respect. Can't wait to see what color of Stelvio Gquadrifoglio you end up buying. Truly $100,000 is a great price point for automobiles. All the tech, all the luxury, all the performance.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...o-stelvio-quadrifoglio-review-italian-hustle/
Sponsored