Sponsored

Bronco Engine RPM Calculator (for specific tire sizes & axle ratios)

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So... I starting looking at tires I could put on my Bronco when it eventually (hopefully) gets here next year. I'm still debating between the Black Diamond and Badlands, which have different axle ratios. I was doing some math to figure out what the engine RPM would be at specific tire sizes & axle ratios....

...and then I got carried away and created this:

Ford Bronco Bronco Engine RPM Calculator (for specific tire sizes & axle ratios) 1707491876843

I've included all of the standard Bronco axle ratios, the transfer case ratios, transmissions, and available tire size.

Available for download off of Google Docs:

Excel | OpenDoc

I couldn't find any detailed dyno results for the Bronco, so I didn't pre-program the RPM details. But If I did have the dyno details, the color code would be this:
  • Red - Undesired RPM. Typically either above red line or so low that the engine is likely to stall.
  • Blue - Geared towards fuel economy
  • Yellow - Geared towards power
  • Green - The "sweet spot" between power and fuel economy
The plus side of my inability to find dyno details is now you can specify the RPMs details however you see fit. Which allows you, in effect, to create your own axle ratio chart.

If anyone notices any errors (mathematical or otherwise), please let me know.
Sponsored

Last edited:

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So... I starting looking at tires I could put on my Bronco when it eventually (hopefully) gets here next year. I'm still debating between the Black Diamond and Badlands, which have different axle ratios. I was doing some math to figure out what the engine RPM would be at specific tire sizes & axle ratios....

View attachment 160201

I've included all of the standard Bronco axle ratios, the transfer case ratios, transmissions, and available tire size.

Web (Preview) | Excel | OpenDoc

I couldn't find any detailed dyno results for the Bronco, so I didn't pre-program the RPM details. But If I did have the dyno details, the color code would be this:
  • Red - Undesired RPM. Typically either above red line or so low that the engine is likely to stall.
The plus side of my inability to find dyno details is now you can specify the RPMs details however you see fit. Which allows you, in effect, to create your own axle ratio chart.

Here are 5star tunings dyno results if you want to add them

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/five-star-tuning.21885/

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great work! Thank you.

OP
OP
RagnarKon

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here are 5star tunings dyno results if you want to add them

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/five-star-tuning.21885/
Do you know if they published the dyno result data anywhere?

Tried hunting around their site a bit and didnā€™t see anything.

EDIT: Never mind Iā€™m blind apparently. No results for the Bronco specificallyā€¦ but they do have the Ranger 2.3L results and the F-150 2.7L results publishedā€¦ so I might be able to do something there.

Iā€™ll play around with it this afternoon.

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you know if they published the dyno result data anywhere?

Tried hunting around their site a bit and didnā€™t see anything.

EDIT: Never mind Iā€™m blind apparently. No results for the Bronco specificallyā€¦ but they do have the Ranger 2.3L results and the F-150 2.7L results publishedā€¦ so I might be able to do something there.

Iā€™ll play around with it this afternoon.
from their Facebook page
Ford Bronco Bronco Engine RPM Calculator (for specific tire sizes & axle ratios) dyno

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a graph, but a pretty advanced calculator nonetheless. This one will auto populate the automatic gear ratios, you'll have to fill out the manual gear set .... manually....

All kinds of options to play with if you're getting serious about driveline mods.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

View attachment 160201

I'm nominating you Bronco6G Official Nerd :geek:!

PG_Bronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just put some badlands wheels and tires (ko2) on my 4.27 OBX. I am a fan so far but have noticed A BIG decline in acceleration power (quickness). Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! 2.7L

refade1

Base
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just put some badlands wheels and tires (ko2) on my 4.27 OBX. I am a fan so far but have noticed A BIG decline in acceleration power (quickness). Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! 2.7L
I did the same but on a 3.73 base bronco 2.3L seems to be fine for me

Sponsored

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having the rpm numbers subject to the R&P gear ratio, tire height and transmission ratios is a part of the solution, estimate of how performance will be but you canā€™t discount wheel/tire weight.

Two vehicles with identical drive ratio, same vehicle weight and same engine with same torque and horsepower curves will perform differently if one has a 100 pound tire/wheel combination and the other has an 80 pound tire/wheel.

Look at some of the super cars wheel weights (and costs for a wheel)!!

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To expand a bit, Porsche claims 1 pound of reduced wheel/tire weight is equivalent to reducing 7 pounds of vehicle/body weight

Based on this 1-7 ratio then a 20 pound heavier wheel/tire combo as I mentioned above would be 20x4=80 pounds and then applying the 1-7 ratio would say those heavier wheels/tires would be like having 560 more overall weight in your vehicle. Thatā€™s huge !!!

PG_Bronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

To expand a bit, Porsche claims 1 pound of reduced wheel/tire weight is equivalent to reducing 7 pounds of vehicle/body weight

Based on this 1-7 ratio then a 20 pound heavier wheel/tire combo as I mentioned above would be 20x4=80 pounds and then applying the 1-7 ratio would say those heavier wheels/tires would be like having 560 more overall weight in your vehicle. Thatā€™s huge !!!
Thank you very much for this! Iā€™ll admit, the main reason I switched to the tires and wheels was for the look. I was not a fan of the OBX look. I am hoping to get off road but the main purpose is my daily driver. I just traded in my ā€˜21 BB 3.73 2.7, I kept it stock because I didnā€™t mind those wheels and tires. Would you suggest with those details that I should try to find a lighter option?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The stock OBX rim and tire combo is very light and going to anything else will be noticeable. Even the Black Diamond rims and tires are way heavier.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it a BIG decline in acceleration, but certainly noticeable. Significant decrease in fuel economy is another thing that you will notice.

Off-road, you are going to want those heavier rims and tires. I have a set of stock OBX rims/tires for commuting and I have 2 sets of off-road rims and tires.
Ford Bronco Bronco Engine RPM Calculator (for specific tire sizes & axle ratios) received_1670734536661668
Ford Bronco Bronco Engine RPM Calculator (for specific tire sizes & axle ratios) IMG_20221019_152453
Ford Bronco Bronco Engine RPM Calculator (for specific tire sizes & axle ratios) IMG_20220910_181104
Ford Bronco Bronco Engine RPM Calculator (for specific tire sizes & axle ratios) IMG_20221006_185615

Changes the look dramatically.

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

View attachment 160201

Well Ford used a target of 2950 rpm (+/- 50). I know that because if you look at gear vs tire size, you end up with most of the vehicles running very close to that based on the tire size of a given trim and the gears installed. This also coincidentally puts the engine right on the beginning of the torque peak.

Non-sasquatch Badlands is the right answer.
Sponsored