Hanverg07

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Valuable information about the difference of the suspensions on the Bronco and Wrangler. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Saw this thread at work today and had to wait till I got home to post this pic. I think this is what they are trying to convey. I zoomed the pic in to make it easier to see, if you look at the rear tire (passenger's side) it is not contacting the ground flat, it is more on the edge of the tire. This is more evident on the driver's side rear. If you now look at the front tire (passenger's side) you will notice that the tire is flat on the ground. IFS will give a better "contact patch" of the tire to the ground through it's range of motion, up and down. Not ride on the edge of the tire when it is articulating.

tire contact patch.jpeg

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wasn't the guy they kept mentioning as having run Sledgehammer(?) without winching running an IFS rig? Bailey Cole I think it was?

I believe he also went up Backdoor WITHOUT winching.

BigMike949

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Saw this thread at work today and had to wait till I got home to post this pic. I think this is what they are trying to convey. I zoomed the pic in to make it easier to see, if you look at the rear tire (passenger's side) it is not contacting the ground flat, it is more on the edge of the tire. This is more evident on the driver's side rear. If you now look at the front tire (passenger's side) you will notice that the tire is flat on the ground. IFS will give a better "contact patch" of the tire to the ground through it's range of motion, up and down. Not ride on the edge of the tire when it is articulating.

tire contact patch.jpeg
For 90% of us, that is more important, than absolute maximum articulation. since most of the time we will be on roads, or intermediate trails. And with the 10" of articulation, 33-35" tires, and a solid 4 wheel drive system with the wheels making solid contact.. this thing stock is still going to be able to handle advance trails. Before my lift on my jeep, i took it stock on backroad to kings canyon in AZ, and on the Rubicon trail.. both hard difficulty trails.. the articulation was about the same as the bronco and the jeep has a longer wheel base, and slightless ground clearence, and it handled both trails like a champ. Unless you are planning on joining some ultra hardcore rock crawling clud, and spending 20k in modification.. I really see this IFS set up likely being the way more appropriate approach for most users. I am excited about it, its actually why i choose to get a bronco instead of my 4th wrangler. Along with the technology and increased interior room..

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is this Bronco you speak of? The one we are still waiting for - the vehicle no one even owns yet? Jeep an inferior product to the Bronco? You don't even have a product, lol.

Some day when the new Bronco finally arrives, I'll be happy to toot it's horn, in areas where it is proven to best Jeep. But for now let's not get too far over the skis.
Shots fired, shots fired!!!!

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't worry about Jeep. They've got their egomaniacal, 3rd person speaking, pompous drunk driver to sell their foreign owned brand vehicles.

Ford Bronco Bronco engineered to beat Wrangler's VCI (traversing soft terrain) according to member on Wranglerforums tire contact patch
OH, the embarrassment of being a Jeep owner when I saw this add... I did recognize him at first and thought the guy in the commercial was a laid off pipeline worker.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OH, the embarrassment of being a Jeep owner when I saw this add... I did recognize him at first and thought the guy in the commercial was a laid off pipeline worker.
Frankly, I think someone at Jeep needs to loose their job, and that opinion has nothing to do with my personal politics. I would say Jeep demographics skew center right in terms of politics and he is extremely political to the left, so let’s just offend our customer base. Then to find out he he had a drunk driving incident in November is not the image a car company wants to project.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't worry about Jeep. They've got their egomaniacal, 3rd person speaking, pompous drunk driver to sell their foreign owned brand vehicles.

Ford Bronco Bronco engineered to beat Wrangler's VCI (traversing soft terrain) according to member on Wranglerforums tire contact patch
Are you making disparaging comments about the BOSS? Dude, tread lightly here. Jeep or no Jeep, that man is a national treasure.

Even if you don't like his music, that says more about you than it does about Springsteen's music.

Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That was a very informative read, but it leaves me wanting much more information. The key thing I noted is that the Badland's VCI will out perform the Rubicon's within 90% of the Rubicon's articulation. I interpret that to mean that the Sasquatch suspension VCI will be better within ~85%, since the bump stops will limit the travel. Still dang good. The base suspension (Base, BB, BD, OB, non-Sasquatch) will compare even less favorably, which (although I couldn't care less about how my Bronco will compare to a Wrangler) leaves me wondering if the base suspension will be good enough for backcountry roads I regularly travel.

And that, has me second guessing my freakin order! Do I change my order to a BL, or stick with a BD and my plan to upgrade the suspension later on? We need more information on the FPP suspension!

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I mean... we have beaten this horse to death but the Jeep diehards are firmly in the SFA camp. They will never admit to the Bronco being competitive because they then mentally open the door to having an inferior product. They must continue to convince themselves that Jeep is the only way to go as a means to validate their financial decisions without regrets.

Photo Credit: @EvlNvrDys chest.
And a lot of us are not doing the same thing, but from the Bronco side? Such self-valuation seems silly, but the comparisons are very helpful. From driving one and watching other Jeeps on the trails, I know what a Jeep can do. Comparisons like the VCI, help me predict what the Bronco should be able to do.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice try, but compare the angles of the front and rear axles between the two pictures. The Wrangler is clearly more "crossed up". That said, both compare very well and I'm encouraged that my Bronco will go where I've taken my Jeep.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not really a surprise here, it's known by most that if you wanna climb rocks then buy the Jeep for it's superior capability in that arena and put up with the possibility of death wobble and poor high speed ride due to the solid axle and go with it. You wanna go fast and smooth over less aggressive terrain with better ride then go IFS, it's been proven on the Raptor many times over. Bottom line, the guys that wanna beat it up on the rocks ain't gonna buy a Bronco, they will stick with Jeep. But, good info as to how that is arrived at, thanks for posting.
Kind of, but the Bronco will be a really good all a rounder...and certainly at home rock crawling on most trails, and gives up little or nothing when Badlands or Sasquatched to a stock Rubicon...Even in the rocks. The VCI, and Articulation, traction, high clearance will make it better than many trucks you see out at Moab etc.
Sponsored