First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately, some of us are now facing spending $15K - $20K (installed) for a whole house home generator so we have power during brownouts and blackouts, more EV's putting additional load on the grid are pushing me to pull the trigger. Yes, the ICE engine in the generator is really helping. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1920.jpg
I guessed Texas without even looking. Not a bad thing. I built plenty of power and did oil rig work there and it’s a great state. Since we can’t dive into politics and to stay on topic let’s jet say it’s not EV’s. EV’s did not cause or contribute to your very unfortunate fire power outage this winter.

Our power pool in the mid Atlantic is huge and continues to get bigger as states realize the advantage of this idea. This is one area where bigger is better and if anyone knows, a Texan knows. The segmented power pools in the US need to be unfragmented to add reliability in the EV revolution.
Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I heat my house in rural Indiana with propane, I'm investigating adding a small genset like a Honda i2000 so I can power my furnace when there is no electricity. I am also building out a PV battery bank in lithium as well as a solar hot water circuit (new-to-me house since November 2019)... There are cost effective solutions for base load items, but the general consumer is bombarded with expensive installations that have more profit motive than effective solutions for their current needs

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I guessed Texas without even looking. Not a bad thing. I built plenty of power and did oil rig work there and it’s a great state. Since we can’t dive into politics and to stay on topic let’s jet say it’s not EV’s. EV’s did not cause or contribute to your very unfortunate fire power outage this winter.
You are correct, but what it showed is when those frozen power stations are online, with the increase of EV load, we will be in the same spot, unless additional capacity is built.

There are cost effective solutions for base load items, but the general consumer is bombarded with expensive installations that have more profit motive than effective solutions for their current needs
You are correct, but with a larger house and two air conditioning systems I don't want to mess with minimal power on certain circuits only or dealing with load shedding for some of the items. I choose to go larger to avoid those problems and my budget allows for it. But yes, there are lower cost, non-whole house systems available if that better fits your budget. I even bought my own AC clamp meter to run all my own calcs of what size generator would work best for me, to avoid the salesperson bombardment of mis-information.

KAIWEETS Clamp Meter
Ford Bronco Bronco EV from the "Power Company Guy" Perspective s-l300

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm generally a small Gov't guy, but I think that in order to have EVs really take off in this country the Gov't needs to get the Big 3, Toyota, Telsa, and however else in a room to design a single universal plug that will be mandated across all EVs sold in the US. At that point, infrastructure should be fairly straight forward as we already have gas stations everywhere that could replace one or some of the existing gas pumps with a charging station that would work across ALL models.
Sponsored