Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Of the S and X yes, I hadn’t seen the data for the 3 obviously.
Personally, I think that's more a reflection of the lack of updates the S and X have had while they've pushed out the 3 and Y.

Model S came out in 2012 and only got one minor grille update/delete for 2016, with otherwise no other visual changes.
Model X came out in 2016 and has had zero visual changes.

They have done powertrain updates and whanot, and they are FINALLY about to them both new interiors for 2022, but that means it's been 9 years without a full redesign for the S, and 5 years for the X, which are bordering on lifetimes in the auto industry.

Buyers like change, and don't want to see the same thing for that long - especially if they lease - many want the "latest and greatest" and will jump ship if a brand doesn't provide that for too long.
Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Im sure with time they get better, personally for me if a V8 is unavailable I would rather go EV than 4/6 cylinder. I hope EVs can one day close the gap, leave us the better ICE vehicles while taking up the slack and replacing the less desirable powertrains.

Then again I would also prefer if all my electricity was being produced from coal/nuclear, at least then I would feel confident on the supply.
I know I'd have opted for a hybrid Bronco if one was available at launch like originally planned.

I do understand your thoughts on EV over 4/6 cylinders, though. I don't know if I'm ready for a full EV yet for some of the reasons I mentioned, but you'd more than likely get better performance out of the EV over a regular 4/6.

Agreed on the power supply - I have no problem with renewable sources, but counting on them exclusively is a mistake, IMO.

Reactions: Jdc

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A hybrid option would be ok if it was a small diesel electric hybrid vehicle. That would be awesome.
Electric motors, batteries and a diesel generator it would get hundreds of miles to the gallon.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Personally, I think that's more a reflection of the lack of updates the S and X have had while they've pushed out the 3 and Y.

Model S came out in 2012 and only got one minor grille update/delete for 2016, with otherwise no other visual changes.
Model X came out in 2016 and has had zero visual changes.

They have done powertrain updates and whanot, and they are FINALLY about to them both new interiors for 2022, but that means it's been 9 years without a full redesign for the S, and 5 years for the X, which are bordering on lifetimes in the auto industry.

Buyers like change, and don't want to see the same thing for that long - especially if they lease - many want the "latest and greatest" and will jump ship if a brand doesn't provide that for too long.
I may be in the minority but I greatly preferred the pre-facelift model S, I don’t like the sparse front bumper of the Tesla lineup.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

you don’t just hook a motor up in place of an engine/trans
There are aftermarket companies already doing just that. Not saying it'll happen with the Bronco in this generation but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are aftermarket companies already doing just that. Not saying it'll happen with the Bronco in this generation but it's not outside the realm of possibility.
It IS possible, but as I mentioned highly inefficient and wasteful.

I understand why aftermarket does it, since those vehicles weren’t designed for that.

It’s just highly inefficient for a new vehicle manufacturer to convert to mechanical power and then send that through a drivetrain vs putting the electric motors directly at the end point.

I think the real winning combination would be electric motors on portal axles, have the hub input at an angle and you could have huge ground clearance without the downfalls normally associated with IRS.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2 things that might make me cancel this order, F150 Lightning, or a EV Bronco... But I'd need something more solid than "what makes you think we don't" to wait.

CO0LHand

Badlands
First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Deleted member 5064

I’ve seen that exact same post made since the 1990s on the internet. EV owners have a 25% chance of switching back to gas powered vehicles which is better than I would have thought but seems to hint they’re not for everyone.

Non-Tesla EVs also have very low take rates, and even Tesla sales have faultered over the past 2 years, if you want this to be your last gas vehicle so be it, but it seems like we have plateaued demand for them. People that want them seem steadfast in their desire but a huge number of people have no desire or reason to switch it seems.
Wait how have Tesla sales faultered? Delivered almost 500k vehicles last year. Tesla was up like 50% on sales in 2020. Giga Austin and Giga Berlin coming online this year.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
A hybrid option would be ok if it was a small diesel electric hybrid vehicle. That would be awesome.
Electric motors, batteries and a diesel generator it would get hundreds of miles to the gallon.
If I am going to be forced to pay for two powerplants I would just as soon one would not be a rube goldberg emissions nightmare.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Explorer Platinum had a hybrid option. I wasn’t a fan in my test drive and opted for the all-gasoline version. I kept feeling a shudder that I could not understand. Might have been nothing but I’m new to hybrids or EV.

That hybrid had 300 HP I think, and lots of giddy-up off the light.

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I am going to be forced to pay for two powerplants I would just as soon one would not be a rube goldberg emissions nightmare.
The diesel is just to power the generator to charge the batteries, it can be a tow along, or a smaller one that fits in the back. Would love to see incorporated into the vehicle.
Sponsored