85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The diesel is just to power the generator to charge the batteries, it can be a tow along, or a smaller one that fits in the back. Would love to see incorporated into the vehicle.
Oh, that is generally not how hybrids usually work.
Sponsored

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, LUBR, Chrome Yellow, 2016 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I plan to get a 2022 E-transit when it comes out and do a Quigley 4x4 conversion with a basic camper van mod on the short body with low roof.

Iā€™m only 6 miles from silver lake sand dunes, so I should have the range for the trip there, a few attempts at test hill, and a cruise back home to throw it on the 220 direct from the wind farm up in Ludington. Iā€™ll eventually do a 4dr 2021 bronco body swap and have the first e-bronco before all you f*ers, thereā€™s only 3.5ā€ difference with the length there.

Hoosier.Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hoosier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 KR, 2011 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Under a post by Jim Farley, the Ford CEO, a commenter asked about other EV vehicles. Most of us thought this was a sure thing but, her it is from the horses mouth!
Ford Bronco Electric Bronco EV hinted by CEO Farley 847F9F59-8576-4ADD-B44A-2A7D2410A038

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be looking to trade my '21 as soon as a PHEV Bronco is available. All-electric for my daily driver around town, with range and easy refueling for trips. A great combo, imo.

I absolutely believe we'll be all-electric in the relatively near future, but that's 20 years from my perspective.

Tons of questions to answer (infrastructure, battery tech, battery raw materials, recycling, etc), but smart people are working really hard on the answers. Seems to me the interest has risen to a point that the effort to figure it out will happen.

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How about we just get the gas powered bronco to market before Ford worries about other bronco concepts..
Just sayinā€™

Seventyfouronthefloor

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, LUBR, Chrome Yellow, 2016 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'll be looking to trade my '21 as soon as a PHEV Bronco is available. All-electric for my daily driver around town, with range and easy refueling for trips. A great combo, imo.

I absolutely believe we'll be all-electric in the relatively near future, but that's 20 years from my perspective.

Tons of questions to answer (infrastructure, battery tech, battery raw materials, recycling, etc), but smart people are working really hard on the answers. Seems to me the interest has risen to a point that the effort to figure it out will happen.
Iā€™m hoping that Mustang Mach-e, F-150 Lightning and E-transit donā€™t use up all 200,000 of Fordā€™s $7500 30D tax credits before that E-Bronco comes out. Perhaps the feds will add more under the new infrastructure bill now that Tesla and GM are Phased-out.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oh, that is generally not how hybrids usually work.
I recommend that you Google "series hybrid", "extended range EV", or "EV range extender". The kind that you're thinking of is a parallel hybrid, which is only one type.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Now, real question... was Farley trolling? Because if you reread the tweet the guy actually asked if Ford had an EV opinion not and EV option

šŸ¤”

Sponsored

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The drivetrain of the Bronco and a potential EV version does not seem compatible, you donā€™t just hook a motor up in place of an engine/trans, no sense in sending power through two axles as that causes losses in efficiency that are vital when building such a vehicle.
To that end you end up with independent suspension all around, and lifts no longer work from the regular Bronco. The aftermarket support of the regular Bronco likely will not translate to the EV version since aftermarket does not do well supporting niche products, I know well unfortunately.

Just because they are researching and developing such a vehicle doesnā€™t mean we will see it in this generation Bronco. I might add that the payload is already frightfully small so thereā€™s no room for even 100lbs of battery on the upcoming Bronco unless dramatic suspension changes are made, see my previous point.

With that said if Ford releases an EV Bronco with portal axles my jaw will hit the floor. Iā€™m also hopeful they will blow my mind with some never before seen setup.
What about if they use the Rivian R1s platform to jolt up those Bronco horses?

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Personally, I think that's more a reflection of the lack of updates the S and X have had while they've pushed out the 3 and Y.

Model S came out in 2012 and only got one minor grille update/delete for 2016, with otherwise no other visual changes.
Model X came out in 2016 and has had zero visual changes.

They have done powertrain updates and whanot, and they are FINALLY about to them both new interiors for 2022, but that means it's been 9 years without a full redesign for the S, and 5 years for the X, which are bordering on lifetimes in the auto industry.

Buyers like change, and don't want to see the same thing for that long - especially if they lease - many want the "latest and greatest" and will jump ship if a brand doesn't provide that for too long.
Tesla is more of a techy company than auto. The tech bros love to squeeze every ounce of cash out of previous Gen models before unveiling the new more expensive generation.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Iā€™m not interested in an EV. It would not work at all for me. A well done hybrid absolutely. If we could get a hydrogen station network setup I would be all in on a fuel cell Bronco.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
What about if they use the Rivian R1s platform to jolt up those Bronco horses?
Problem would be much easier to solve assuming you can setup the suspension for off-road use.
Rivian at this point is still at best vaporware so itā€™s quite hard to know what details the final product would have.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m not interested in an EV. It would not work at all for me. A well done hybrid absolutely. If we could get a hydrogen station network setup I would be all in on a fuel cell Bronco.
I work some financial end of fuel cell manufacturing, let me tell you, hell no. We replace fuel stacks at $10k+ a pop (before labor and other costs) multiple times a year on fuel cell engines that cost $36k brand new. Not automobile mind you.
Sponsored