Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good rule of thumb — if you can still pick it up by hand by whatever is attaching to the Bronco receiver (i.e. with the extension), you are probably ok

If you throw out your back or buckle a kneecap - you probably did it wrong
Sponsored

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My suggestion as well. Not only will a swing away not hVe to be retracted as much if it has a caster wheel it is great for moving the trailer.

190# empty tongue weight might be on high side even with short hitch since once you load it up you may exceed 300-350
Thanks for the suggestion...I've been looking at those on the internet as we speak...it seems to be the best solution...

MtnTopComms

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q5, 2019 Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good rule of thumb — if you can still pick it up by hand by whatever is attaching to the Bronco receiver (i.e. with the extension), you are probably ok

I fairness, every time I hurt myself I did something wrong. :)

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I'm thinking even at 190lb tongue weight I would definitely blow out my back...and knee and what ever else trying to lift it by hand and putting it on my hitch...I may just for fun by a hitch scale to see if I can load the trailer differently...

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I unbolted the factory jack from my trailer and replaced it with a swing away jack further back on the frame about where your battery box is. Mine clears fine like that without an extension.
Just curious on how long of tongue are you using and what drop...I think I'm going with your idea...thanks for the help!!!...Amos

Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious on how long of tongue are you using and what drop...I think I'm going with your idea...thanks for the help!!!...Amos
Don't make me tell a lie , I have no idea, lol.
I would have to measure but it looks very similar to your setup. I think I'm using a 4" drop hitch also but I have a few different ones so I'd have to verify that also . My wife is in the hospital and I'm reading all this from her room so it will be a couple days before I can check .

JL8jeff

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2door base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think I have a 5-6" drop bar so the trailer tongue ends up just about under the spare. You might be able to flip that jack handle to the other side of the post but if not, you might want to look into another brand that mounts the handle to the side. I just bought an 8" extension for mounting the bike rack, but that doesn't have much weight to it.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Onestepmore I’d say you’re good to go.

Ive hauled my 2000lb camper behind the bronco for about 30,000kms now. It’s def a tad heavy on the tongue weight, maybe 230lbs? (I’ll be shifting the axle and adding two more batteries to the rear to offset).

I’ve got a “homemade” hitch ball mount that must be about 11” extended too - I machined one from bar stock.

No issues across any of these journeys. I’ve changed the rear springs for a tad heavier set, which helps with the sag a bit, but it’s such a soft suspension to begin with, don’t be surprised if you see some squat!

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I am using this for a shorter drop hitch for my bike rack, but it could also help with trailer as you can get a lower drop.

Ford Bronco Bronco extended trailer tongue extension question 1712071570292-qc

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Onestepmore I’d say you’re good to go.

Ive hauled my 2000lb camper behind the bronco for about 30,000kms now. It’s def a tad heavy on the tongue weight, maybe 230lbs? (I’ll be shifting the axle and adding two more batteries to the rear to offset).

I’ve got a “homemade” hitch ball mount that must be about 11” extended too - I machined one from bar stock.

No issues across any of these journeys. I’ve changed the rear springs for a tad heavier set, which helps with the sag a bit, but it’s such a soft suspension to begin with, don’t be surprised if you see some squat!
Just curious how you weighed the tongue weight...I've looked at tongue scales and a nice one is $150.00 and I don't think I'll use it much...any thoughts?

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just curious how you weighed the tongue weight...I've looked at tongue scales and a nice one is $150.00 and I don't think I'll use it much...any thoughts?
Given that it's supposed to be under 300lbs - you could just get a cheapy (not glass) fat person bathroom scale from walmart.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

For some people it is common sense NOT to do this on a short wheelbase vehicle for others....well, its not.

These extenders might be satisfactory on a long wheelbase Bronco Moredoor (with a light trailer) however on the shorter two-door, I highly recommend against them for several reasons that are not addressed above.

#1 the added leverage to the rear of the vehicle extension causes the front tires to lose traction and raise during acceleration and or even braking.

#2 the Broncos receiver hitch was never made for the kind of additional leverage these devices add... the 350 lb tongue capacity is considered a pressure straight down not out on the end of an 18 inch lever!!! ( This is like adding 18" wheel spacers almost)

Then add on top of that the force is from suspension momentum like where the vehicles went through a dip or over a speed bump, These extreme forces will damage the extension unit and or bend the ends of the frame rails down or damage the mount where it meets the rear crossmember or the rear crossmember itself will be twisted.

#3 The Bronco will handle like shit with this extension.

Reminds me of the idiot on the Freeway on the way to Burning Man ...had an extension hooked to another extension with a massive amount (20?) of bicycles attached to these extensions and bike racks... of course over one of the Expansion Joints in the freeway something broke (most likely the receiver hitch) and there was 20+ bicycles flying all over the freeway going in every direction. pure stupidly.

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For some people it is common sense NOT to do this on a short wheelbase vehicle for others....well, its not.

These extenders might be satisfactory on a long wheelbase Bronco Moredoor (with a light trailer) however on the shorter two-door, I highly recommend against them for several reasons that are not addressed above.

#1 the added leverage to the rear of the vehicle extension causes the front tires to lose traction and raise during acceleration and or even braking.

#2 the Broncos receiver hitch was never made for the kind of additional leverage these devices add... the 350 lb tongue capacity is considered a pressure straight down not out on the end of an 18 inch lever!!! ( This is like adding 18" wheel spacers almost)

Then add on top of that the force is from suspension momentum like where the vehicles went through a dip or over a speed bump, These extreme forces will damage the extension unit and or bend the ends of the frame rails down or damage the mount where it meets the rear crossmember or the rear crossmember itself will be twisted.

#3 The Bronco will handle like shit with this extension.

Reminds me of the idiot on the Freeway on the way to Burning Man ...had an extension hooked to another extension with a massive amount (20?) of bicycles attached to these extensions and bike racks... of course over one of the Expansion Joints in the freeway something broke (most likely the receiver hitch) and there was 20+ bicycles flying all over the freeway going in every direction. pure stupidly.
I appreciate all your points...I'm still vacillating...I drove up to show the mechanics at my dealership and they were very positive with it being a 2000lb pop up trailer and a 190lb tongue weight...I'm not questioning any of your points...they are all valid...I'm just trying to determine what the best solution is...thank so much for all of your input.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

When towing my 3500 lb trailer to Moab, I actually drilled a new Pin-hole in the hitch-plug to move it CLOSER to the bumper NOT further away....and I noticed 2" makes a difference in LESS squat in a 2dr...

OP
OP
Onestepmore

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When towing my 3500 lb trailer to Moab, I actually drilled a new Pin-hole in the hitch-plug to move it CLOSER to the bumper NOT further away....and I noticed 2" makes a difference in LESS squat in a 2dr...
That's a
Great idea!!! what length is your hitch and how much drop did you get?
Sponsored