Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Ford Escape AWD V6, '91 Plymouth Acclaim V6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Agreed. No reason to leave it off.

Still hopeful that Sport can be enabled via FORScan. Or absent that, maybe be able to adjust some elements of Normal.

I know a lot of people would gladly replace Eco with Sport, but many of us would like to use Eco to sip fuel on the way to where the fun is.

If Ford was smart, they'd have their first OTA update just enable Sport for Badlands and FE. Lots of people are concerned Ford won't really leverage the OTA capability, so that would kill two birds with one stone.
It would be great if Sport Mode could be enabled via FORScan as there's no equipment dependency for that mode... it's strictly a software function.
I'm hoping this will work for adding the mud/ruts mode to my BaseSquatch, there's probably computer settings the hero switches can't account for. I get the rock crawl and baja modes being limited but not the rest of them.
Sponsored

joez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Does anyone know if the 'tire cameras' require different hardware then just the '360 view'? Or are they using the '360 view' and zooming in on the tires?

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The cameras for the tire view are on the underside of the Mirrors and the rest is software

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Posted another update.
Thanks to the Bronco Life videos, finally able to confirm that Sport mode defaults to 2H and get some pics of what the screen looks like when selecting Sport mode. IMO, I like the lava effect much better than the checkered pattern on the Bronco Sport's screen.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Now we need to know if Baja can be used on the street.

Once again

0kc5ybe2wc91tdf2a818pg58x4gokn2j25tppgmi&rid=giphy.gif

Sponsored

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here are two tables that were previously posted on B6G at some point...I just saved the screenshot to my phone for future use
20201103_122506.jpg
So the only difference between Baja and Sport is 4H vs 4A? Wonder how much of a downgrade that is. Sure wish BD had Baja.

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the only difference between Baja and Sport is 4H vs 4A? Wonder how much of a downgrade that is. Sure wish BD had Baja.
No.
Sigh... That chart is speculation based off the Raptor. Don't use it as a reliable reference.

Sport is intended for pavement. It defaults to 2H, and traction controls are presumably configured similar to Normal - for driving on the street. Some Hero settings might not be available in Sport. 4L is not available in Sport.

Baja defaults to 4H, all 4WD modes are available. Traction control is specifically adjusted to allow for more slippage in sand. It's intended for off-road.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No.
Sigh... That chart is speculation based off the Raptor. Don't use it as a reliable reference.

Sport is intended for pavement. It defaults to 2H, and traction controls are presumably configured similar to Normal - for driving on the street. Some Hero settings might not be available in Sport. 4L is not available in Sport.

Baja defaults to 4H, all 4WD modes are available. Traction control is specifically adjusted to allow for more slippage in sand. It's intended for off-road.
Damn.......there was a glimmer of hope. Baja is the only reason Wildtrak is still in my head.

Husker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No.

On another site, It was stated that Baja 2H is the same as Sport. It came from one of the drivers at the Bronco demonstration ride alongs. I know it's been said that it's not the same. I wish Ford would come clean on Sport mode vs Baja 2H.

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GOAT Mode Guide Download Link: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/uploads/GOAT-Mode-Guide-Bronco6g.pdf
Alternate link if B6G version isn't current:

Been an uptick of questions and discussions mentioning GOAT modes since KOH. We've got more info now than we did, but there's still a lot we don't know. There's also a lot of speculation out there, and it's not always easy to distinguish between confirmed information and educated guesses.

In looking at some of what we've gotten lately, I decided to try and compile what we know and highlight what we don't. I've got the beginnings of a list of sources, and I'm hoping that we'll be able to put our heads together and expand this.

In an effort to avoid the dreaded wall of text - and have some fun with things - it's all compiled and presented in a PDF file. Guide is currently available here.

If you know something that's not included - or notice a correction that needs to be made - please post it in this thread. To have it included in the guide, you must include a source for your information that can be confirmed. A video, photo, statement from a Ford rep, etc.

Right now this includes:
  • An overview of GOAT modes
  • What they have been verified to do and what they may do
  • How modes are selected and displayed on default driver instrument panel
  • Available modes by trim
  • A breakdown of each mode
  • A brief discussion on usefulness
  • List of sources
Updated (2021-2-11)
  • Added most needed info we don’t know
  • Added info on original meaning of GOAT
  • Added mention of Sasquatch impact on GOAT
  • Added reference to Terrain Management system
  • Added mention of switching on-the-fly or stopping to shift into N for some modes
  • Added assumed throttle adjustments for Eco and Sport
  • Clarified camera available “at speed” on Baja
  • Added How Useful are GOAT Modes?
  • Added Are GOAT Modes Interchangeable?
  • Updated default Hero settings for Sand
  • Clarified Front Locker only available in 4L
  • Updated available 4WD modes for Slippery
  • Added info on modes that appear to disable Auto Start Stop
  • Added Traction Control off for Rock Crawl
  • Added Notes on Hero Settings
  • Added examples of camera views
  • Added and updated referenced sources
Updated (2021-2-12)
  • Complete overhaul to The Utterly Unofficial Guide to GOAT Modes
  • Few bits and pieces of info tweaked and text rewritten
  • Added the Big Speculative Chart of GOAT Modes
Update (2021-02-27)
  • Modes confirmed to adjust steering, Baja provides firmer steering to help maintain control going over bumpy terrain at high speed
  • 4WD modes and Locker availability by GOAT modes updated based in Quick Reference Guide
Update (2021-03-22)
  • Sport mode confirmed to default to 2H
  • Shots of instrument panel in Sport mode
Here are a couple of example pages (from the 2-12 version):
Ford Bronco Bronco GOAT Modes Guide by Trim - Compiled and Confirmed Info 🐐 0kc5ybe2wc91tdf2a818pg58x4gokn2j25tppgmi&rid=giphy

Ford Bronco Bronco GOAT Modes Guide by Trim - Compiled and Confirmed Info 🐐 0kc5ybe2wc91tdf2a818pg58x4gokn2j25tppgmi&rid=giphy

Planned for the next update:
So, if I have a BD trim with no SAS I don't have SBD. How does the rock crawl mode operate compared to if I did have SBD since the description says it automatically disconnects the Sta-bar?

Similar question for Slippery mode. I am probably going to add the Advanced 4x4 to my order, but currently I didn't order it. Would Slippery mode not function as well if it can't default to 4A?

Just curious if these GOAT modes are basically useless without having all the necessary features on the vehicle, or can they still be used but will not perform at an optimal level?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On another site, It was stated that Baja 2H is the same as Sport. It came from one of the drivers at the Bronco demonstration ride alongs. I know it's been said that it's not the same. I wish Ford would come clean on Sport mode vs Baja 2H.
Everywhere else I have seen other info on the difference between the modes has either
  • Been based on that speculative table
  • Or been based the Bronco Sport
I saw one ride along video where the driver made some comment about Sport mode based on how it functions in the Bronco Sport. That statement was a little confusing and ultimately contradicted by official Ford documentation on the Bronco Sport.
It's certainly possible more has come out in recent ride alongs that I haven't seen, but I don't think the drivers are being told much else by Ford when it comes to the GOAT modes. So the stuff that's not displayed on screen (like adjustments to how traction control operates) is really hard to confirm.

So, if I have a BD trim with no SAS I don't have SBD. How does the rock crawl mode operate compared to if I did have SBD since the description says it automatically disconnects the Sta-bar?

Similar question for Slippery mode. I am probably going to add the Advanced 4x4 to my order, but currently I didn't order it. Would Slippery mode not function as well if it can't default to 4A?

Just curious if these GOAT modes are basically useless without having all the necessary features on the vehicle, or can they still be used but will not perform at an optimal level?
This is one of those areas where we still don't know a lot. For the throttle, transmission, and traction control adjustments, things should be fairly consistent across all trims.

For stuff based on the Hero switches, we're assuming you can just ignore that stuff if it's not available.

Slippery is the only mode that defaults to 4A, so it's a bit of an open question. It's still intended to be an on-pavement mode, so it should default to 2H if 4A is unavailable, since using 4H on the road can cause issues.

Husker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Everywhere else I have seen other info on the difference between the modes has either
  • Been based on that speculative table
  • Or been based the Bronco Sport
I saw one ride along video where the driver made some comment about Sport mode based on how it functions in the Bronco Sport. That statement was a little confusing and ultimately contradicted by official Ford documentation on the Bronco Sport.
It's certainly possible more has come out in recent ride alongs that I haven't seen, but I don't think the drivers are being told much else by Ford when it comes to the GOAT modes. So the stuff that's not displayed on screen (like adjustments to how traction control operates) is really hard to confirm.
Sport mode in Badlands is Baja+2H. Nipper Alsup, the pro driver on my ride, demonstrated it to me and it works.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

According to the Ford quick reference guide, 2H is available in Baja mode.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2021-bronco-quick-reference-guide-pdf-📄.13149/

I don't have any insider information, but from my research Baja would be more comparable to a sports cars' Track mode, vs a/the Sport mode.
Baja mode will probably (vs Sport mode):
Hold you in gear longer / more reluctant to upshift
Allow more tire slippage from traction control
Allow more yaw from stability control

From the KOH and Moab vids, we hear goat modes can adjust ABS, so we can add 'less' ABS intrusion / more chance to lock tires under braking.

We know they can change the throttle pedal mapping for a more responsive feel, but that is probably similar to the Sport setting.

Baja mode seems like a fairly advanced Track mode if you decide to use it on the street. I can't wait to try it out.

We also know that Ford's copilot 360 has the ability to 'boost' the steering to help you avoid a collision. That sounds like they have the ability to control the amount of steering in relation to the amount you turn the steering wheel. I have no idea if they change that mapping between goat modes.

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No.

If in Baja mode, could you not turn on traction control and switch to 2H and get the same effect as Sport mode?

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Simply switching from one mode to another and seeing what functions light up doesn't give you the complete picture. Switching modes will automatically switch your 4WD mode, like 4H to 2H, and it makes changes to your Hero settings. But we've also seen in videos that it respected Hero settings you have manually adjusted. So for example, if you manually engage a rear locker in one mode and switch to another, the new mode may leave the rear locker engaged even if it wouldn't be switched on by default in the new mode.

We also know that throttle, transmission, steering, and traction control are adjusted by GOAT modes. There is no visual indicator of how each of these is set. So a demonstration of switching modes can show you some how some things adjust between modes, but several of them are not so readily apparent or verified.

According to the Ford quick reference guide, 2H is available in Baja mode.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2021-bronco-quick-reference-guide-pdf-📄.13149/

I don't have any insider information, but from my research Baja would be more comparable to a sports cars' Track mode, vs a/the Sport mode.
Baja mode will probably (vs Sport mode):
Hold you in gear longer / more reluctant to upshift
Allow more tire slippage from traction control
Allow more yaw from stability control

From the KOH and Moab vids, we hear goat modes can adjust ABS, so we can add 'less' ABS intrusion / more chance to lock tires under braking.

We know they can change the throttle pedal mapping for a more responsive feel, but that is probably similar to the Sport setting.

Baja mode seems like a fairly advanced Track mode if you decide to use it on the street. I can't wait to try it out.

We also know that Ford's copilot 360 has the ability to 'boost' the steering to help you avoid a collision. That sounds like they have the ability to control the amount of steering in relation to the amount you turn the steering wheel. I have no idea if they change that mapping between goat modes.
We have seen in one video that the steering is adjusted to be looser in Baja mode.
I don't think Baja would be equivalent to a Track mode. It's intended for off-road driving, and Track modes are usually intended for... a track, pavement. In terms of throttle and transmission, probably very similar. In terms of steering, traction control, and torque vectoring (if GOAT modes can affect that last one), they are likely very different.

If in Baja mode, could you not turn on traction control and switch to 2H and get the same effect as Sport mode?
It's not as simple traction control On or Off. The traction control system applies brakes to individual wheels when it detects a loss of traction. The GOAT modes adjust when/how this braking is applied. In Normal (and most likely all the pavement modes), this braking force is applied when it detects a relatively minimal amount of slippage. In Baja (and probably all the off-road modes except Rock Crawl) it still applies brakes to control traction, but it allows for more slippage before it kicks in.
So no, turning traction control off is not going to provide the same effect as the traction control offered by a different mode.
Sponsored