Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

GOAT Mode Guide Download Link: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/uploads/2021-Bronco-GOAT-Modes-Breakdown.pdf

Been an uptick of questions and discussions mentioning GOAT modes since KOH. We've got more info now than we did, but there's still a lot we don't know. There's also a lot of speculation out there, and it's not always easy to distinguish between confirmed information and educated guesses.

In looking at some of what we've gotten lately, I decided to try and compile what we know and highlight what we don't. I've got the beginnings of a list of sources, and I'm hoping that we'll be able to put our heads together and expand this.

In an effort to avoid the dreaded wall of text - and have some fun with things - it's all compiled and presented in a PDF file. Guide is currently available here.

If you know something that's not included - or notice a correction that needs to be made - please post it in this thread. To have it included in the guide, you must include a source for your information that can be confirmed. A video, photo, statement from a Ford rep, etc.

Right now this includes:
  • An overview of GOAT modes
  • What they have been verified to do and what they may do
  • How modes are selected and displayed on default driver instrument panel
  • Available modes by trim
  • A breakdown of each mode
  • A brief discussion on usefulness
  • List of sources
Here are a couple of example pages:

View attachment 88766

View attachment 88744
Planned for the next update:
  • Reference to original GOAT meaning as Goes Over All Terrain (@BroncoBuckaroo)
  • Rock Crawl with auto trans requires shifting into N to engage 4L (unclear from KOH videos if the same is true on manual (@IDyeti)
Do you receive any additional GOAT modes by adding sasquatch to a Base Model or do you still only receive 5?
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you receive any additional GOAT modes by adding sasquatch to a Base Model or do you still only receive 5?
Squatch does not add GOAT modes.

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. I’m deciding on my Black Diamond with or without Advanced 4x4. It might have value if I ever drive in snow or ice (not my current SoCal situation), but after watching the KOH videos, I really want Baja. I don’t want to spend the upgrade cost to Badlands, but I’m thinking 4A could offer a “poor man’s” Baja mode. It’s only a $700 upgrade. Am I off base?
Advanced 4x4 is unrelated to any of the performance elements of Baja.

Baja defaults to 4H, adjusts shift points for improved performance high speed off-roading, adjusts traction control to allow for more slippage in sand at speed.

Advanced 4x4 may offer increased torque and axle control (someone else might know more), but mainly gives you the 4A (4x4 auto) feature. This basically keeps you in 2H until the system detects you need more power/traction and then applies power to the front wheels automatically. This is especially good for ice and snow, or other road conditions that impact traction and control.

Others can probably offer more details, but may take is that 4A will not provide any of the performance enhancements you're looking for from Baja.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ugh... Trying not to spend money on things I don't need or will ever use. Making it sooo hard. Biggest question I'm facing right now is "4A" worth it for the extra $1,500 it will cost to add it to the OB.

Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Baja defaults to 4H, adjusts shift points for improved performance high speed off-roading, adjusts traction control to allow for more slippage in sand at speed.

Advanced 4x4 may offer increased torque and axle control (someone else might know more), but mainly gives you the 4A (4x4 auto) feature. This basically keeps you in 2H until the system detects you need more power/traction and then applies power to the front wheels automatically. This is especially good for ice and snow, or other road conditions that impact traction and control.

Others can probably offer more details, but may take is that 4A will not provide any of the performance enhancements you're looking for from Baja.

Based on the modes in other vehicles I have driven in which "adjust shift points", I really don't think Baja mode is all that crazy.

the ability to travel at high speed on sand relies on the suspension and 4hi.
I honestly don't think there would be that much of a difference between a 2.3 bronco in 4hi zipping through the sand and a 2.3 bronco in baja zipping through the sand

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's why replied, that's incorrect

G.O.A.T. Means Goes Over All Terrain as per Ford and the original Bronco

Here ya go

IMG_2587.jpg
It was a failed attempt at sarcasm on my part given the very detailed and excellent piece delivered by the OP. Consider the “extra T” banished for all time and eternity.

It’s all good bud.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's why replied, that's incorrect

G.O.A.T. Means Goes Over All Terrain as per Ford and the original Bronco

Here ya go

Ford Bronco Bronco GOAT Modes Guide by Trim - Compiled and Confirmed Info 🐐 %2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FE792jObo7wi2c%2Fgiphy
Whaddya know, I learned something new.

Also, think the Scout needs to return

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since you bring up how to engage the goat modes, you should call out that we know you need to be in N to shift into Rock Crawl mode. This came from one of the KOH videos. Which is pretty typical of engaging 4lo. If its like many other vehicles, if you don't shift into neutral before engaging 4lo the dash will flash and not actually engage 4lo, remaining in 4hi. There's going to be a lot of noobs having this problem...calling it out now might help save some face.
Good catch.

I noticed on one of the KOH videos that when selecting 4L on the dial, the dash shows the message “Shift into Neutral”

Hopefully that will save some people some embarrassment too.

parropski

Big Bend
First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks. I’m deciding on my Black Diamond with or without Advanced 4x4. It might have value if I ever drive in snow or ice (not my current SoCal situation), but after watching the KOH videos, I really want Baja. I don’t want to spend the upgrade cost to Badlands, but I’m thinking 4A could offer a “poor man’s” Baja mode. It’s only a $700 upgrade. Am I off base?

From what I can gather,

"Baja" and "Sport" are the same. (increased throttle response and delayed shifting)
The only difference is 4H vs 2H
Just go sport and set it to 4H. It should have the same result.
Some people want "sport" GOAT on the higher trims. Just go "baja" and set it to 2H.
Goats modes are basically "setting" shortcuts.

Last edited:

mylittlepony

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler / 09 TC Series 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I opted for as there is black ice on certain highways here in NYC due to overpass drip and have seen an SUV turn on their side skidding out when driving over one that is not a large contact patch[5/7' aprx].
Advanced should negate this condition greatly.
That would put a damper on the evening coming home from a 'date night' at 4 AM in the cold!