Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2015 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Cool chart.

As someone who ordered a BASE Squatch, and who's daily use will include MUD/RUTS, I guess I'll never be able to drive anywhere! 🤣

On a more serious note, I feel it's kind of dumb for Ford to say Goes Over All Terrain, but then not include all modes for all models. I won't be using GOAT, but I know there will be people who will totally rely on the Bronco to tell them what to do.
Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I opted for as there is black ice on certain highways here in NYC due to overpass drip and have seen an SUV turn on their side skidding out when driving over one that is not a large contact patch[5/7' aprx].
Advanced should negate this condition greatly.
That would put a damper on the evening coming home from a 'date night' at 4 AM in the cold!
Not to sound like a Karen, but a good set of winter tires would negate this even more than auto 4x4 from what I have seen.

mylittlepony

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler / 09 TC Series 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ugh... Trying not to spend money on things I don't need or will ever use. Making it sooo hard. Biggest question I'm facing right now is "4A" worth it for the extra $1,500 it will cost to add it to the OB.
Not to sound like a Karen, but a good set of winter tires would negate this even more than auto 4x4 from what I have seen.
I'll opt for tech over terrain any day. That's the point of not having to spend additional change on accessories(rims/tires/ balancing/ labor etc.) to do the seasonal jig.
Been there, those days are over for me. I'm more leisure than labor now a days and that's what else additionally needs to be taken into account when spending the extra $.

Jackattack

Badlands
First Name
Jarmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bullsh
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did notice in one of the videos of a ride along that the front tire cams can be activated at seemingly any speed (they were going around 60mph) while in Baja. Ill see if I can find it and edit this post with a url.

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did notice in one of the videos of a ride along that the front tire cams can be activated at seemingly any speed (they were going around 60mph) while in Baja. Ill see if I can find it and edit this post with a url.
the cams were definitely active - which I found comical.
How is seeing 3 feet in front of you useful at 60mph? lmao

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I second winter tires. They're more than just snow tires, they're designed for the weather and slippery conditions.

I'd take a Foxbody with sandbags and winter tires over some (Insert awd car/cuv) any day

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I can gather,

"Baja" and "Sport" are the same. (increased throttle response and delayed shifting)
The only difference is 4H vs 2H
Where'd you get that info? It's not the same on Raptor...and other than early speculation here, I hadn't seen that anywhere as validated.

Jackattack

Badlands
First Name
Jarmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bullsh
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the cams were definitely active - which I found comical.
How is seeing 3 feet in front of you useful at 60mph? lmao
I was wondering the same thing! Lol

B Wants A Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X; 2002 BMW 530i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the PDF, really comprehensive and well done!

My suggestion: It's probably a safe assumption (though still an assumption) that sport has increased throttle response and eco has decreased throttle response. Just might be nice for some to see if they have never owned a car with 'drive modes' as it's still a feature only relatively new cars have.

Put it in if you want. If you leave it out I won't be offended :).

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Advanced 4x4 is unrelated to any of the performance elements of Baja.

Baja defaults to 4H, adjusts shift points for improved performance high speed off-roading, adjusts traction control to allow for more slippage in sand at speed.

Advanced 4x4 may offer increased torque and axle control (someone else might know more), but mainly gives you the 4A (4x4 auto) feature. This basically keeps you in 2H until the system detects you need more power/traction and then applies power to the front wheels automatically. This is especially good for ice and snow, or other road conditions that impact traction and control.

Others can probably offer more details, but may take is that 4A will not provide any of the performance enhancements you're looking for from Baja.
The topic is tangential to the GOAT modes as they do interact so i'll post the official Ford page which gives the full breakdown of information between the transmission modes (again, as has been posted in the other 4A threads on the subject since we're grouping info for easy digestion)

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

Please note the google search for this was "Ford 4A transmission" with the first page collecting this informative and useful article. Not exactly CIA classified documentation we're dredging up here, and it's the most comprehensive information we have available to us at quick search.

Essentially every thread on this topic in the F150 pages is anecdotal drivel about how it affects their MPG, or what they think it does to cure cancer and provide the best ride for takeout food.

FWIW, nobody seems to have read this article in any of the other threads on the subject either..... Otherwise there wouldn't be a continued debate about getting the Advanced 4wd system, especially at the price offered. It's truly a better set of hardware and function over the basic 4wd in Bronco.

Last edited:

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great read. Thanks for putting it all together. Wish Ford would give more clarity, but...color me non-shocked.

Kind of hoping Hero switches aren't locked out when in Normal. I'd much rather apply lockers when I need them then have to first dial in a given mode to then be granted the privilege of being able to engage them.

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

FE really needs sport, a limit of 7 should not be a problem, they can keep their ECO.
FE not getting all modes is silly, unless some of the modes are actually the same

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I can gather,

"Baja" and "Sport" are the same. (increased throttle response and delayed shifting)
The only difference is 4H vs 2H
Just go sport and set it to 4H. It should have the same result.
Some people want "sport" GOAT on the higher trims. Just go "baja" and set it to 2H.
Goats modes are basically "setting" shortcuts.
From what we've learned thus far, they are NOT the same.
The throttle response and shifting may be close. And yes, you can likely put Baja into 2H (though that's not confirmed). You might be able to put Sport in 4H (also not confirmed). But at a minimum the too modes have different traction control settings for different uses (may not be a factor if you plan to disable traction control anyway). There may be other differences as well.
Correct, a couple of the other modes reportedly only engage the front camera under 20mph, but Baja throws it on at speed. Unclear if the camera is actually unavailable at speed with other modes, or if it just switches off by default.
Great read. Thanks for putting it all together. Wish Ford would give more clarity, but...color me non-shocked.

Kind of hoping Hero switches aren't locked out when in Normal. I'd much rather apply lockers when I need them then have to first dial in a given mode to then be granted the privilege of being able to engage them.
Based on the BN video, all of the Hero switches are available in Normal.
Correction: the video states that all of the 4WD options are available in Normal, but doesn't mention the Hero settings.
Sponsored

Last edited: