Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

then read the article linked below and make an informed decision on what you want rather than conjecture.

4A is drastically different than a "set it and forget it" as it's entire function is entirely different from the non-"advanced" 4wd.

It ultimately brings a real-time 4wd system to the vehicle on dry roads. For all the hoopla on these here digital pages regarding tuning the Bronco or caring about how fast it is, one would think that understanding the differences between RWD and 4wd on a daily basis would be among the important factors.

That being said, the number of people who properly understand how 4wd or AWD require different driving styles to effectively use them, as observed on public roadways, is less than 1%. Watching people with their Subaru's or Quattro systems enter corners well too hot, mid-corner braking, zero-throttle after the apex then pussyfoot the throttle on a straight away is infuriating. So, based on observing the public and these threads about how 4wd and RWD are fundamentally the same, not a single damn person should purchase advanced 4wd or give one shit about the hardware in their bronco. The vast majority of owners will have no comprehension of how to drive it even on public roadways based on it's drivetrain.

I know what it is and how it works, don't know if I want to pay for it or not.
Sponsored

Ironjamzz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Huh? Being Squatched doesn't have anything to do with GOAT modes.

Just double checked the BN video.
It confirms all the 4WD options are available, but does not mention the Hero switches. So the guide is correct and my response was wrong.
Hopefully they'll all be available in Normal.
[/QUOT
Huh? Being Squatched doesn't have anything to do with GOAT modes.

Just double checked the BN video.
It confirms all the 4WD options are available, but does not mention the Hero switches. So the guide is correct and my response was wrong.
Hopefully they'll all be available in Normal.
What do you think is going to transfer those modes to the ground? Fairy dust? lol. Just kidding.....not lol

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The topic is tangential to the GOAT modes as they do interact so i'll post the official Ford page which gives the full breakdown of information between the transmission modes (again, as has been posted in the other 4A threads on the subject since we're grouping info for easy digestion)

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

Please note the google search for this was "Ford 4A transmission" with the first page collecting this informative and useful article. Not exactly CIA classified documentation we're dredging up here, and it's the most comprehensive information we have available to us at quick search.

Essentially every thread on this topic in the F150 pages is anecdotal drivel about how it affects their MPG, or what they think it does to cure cancer and provide the best ride for takeout food.

FWIW, nobody seems to have read this article in any of the other threads on the subject either..... Otherwise there wouldn't be a continued debate about getting the Advanced 4wd system, especially at the price offered. It's truly a better set of hardware and function over the basic 4wd in Bronco.
That article was very helpful

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Fair point @Rick Astley . But for the basic conversation and quick answer it is also "close enough". The person using the system does need to add some common mechanical sense though.
One would think that same common sense would apply to understanding how to drive AWD/4WD in real-world situations. Yet here we are, in reality where nobody seems to know WTF to do with the throttle pedal. Oh, they sure as F know to hit their brakes at any time they are using the steering wheel... 😡

In doing a quick spot of research for this post, I am shocked that Washington State came in 21st with only 51% of vehicles being AWD or 4WD. It seems that the take-rate to option your Lexus, BWM or whatever with 4wd is about 85% based on talking to friends who are in car sales.

https://www.iseecars.com/4wd-vs-awd-study

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks, good info. I'd really like to know the status of Traction Control in each mode and the why of that.

I'm BB so I have Sand and Mud and Ruts and I will want to know which to use in deep snow and/or in the rocks.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not sure if it was covered in the 6 pages, but are we in agreement that sport mode plus 4H = Baja?

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do we know for sure that Sport mode defaults to 2wd? On the new 2021 F-150, Sport mode automatically shifts you into 4H. If that's the case on the Bronco, I don't see much difference between that and Baja.

Just give me a mode that changes the shift points to make it feel peppier and stay in the power band. I'd rather control 4wd, sway bar, and traction control on my own.
Actually... no, we don't. (I'll update that in the guide.)
Most of the discussion about Sport mode revolves around speed, acceleration, and overall control/responsiveness.
The only personal experience I have with a Ford Sport mode is in an Explorer we have at work. In that, Sport mode seems to be more geared towards towing and hills. If that's the intent in the F-150 then 4H might make more sense.
Seems we've been operating under the assumption that the Bronco's Sport mode is more geared towards speeding around on pavement, but I can't find anything that actually states it's 2H.
Thanks, good info. I'd really like to know the status of Traction Control in each mode and the why of that.

I'm BB so I have Sand and Mud and Ruts and I will want to know which to use in deep snow and/or in the rocks.
I'd love to get that eventually, but it looks like people are still trying to figure that out for the Raptor and other Ford vehicles, so it may be a while.

Sponsored

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
In your “how to select” section I would highlight whether the vehicle needs to be stopped or if it can be switched on the fly. I think it’s important to warn people of any potential issues if they do it wrong (you don’t want to be responsible for potentially incorrect instructions!)

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually... no, we don't. (I'll update that in the guide.)
Most of the discussion about Sport mode revolves around speed, acceleration, and overall control/responsiveness.
The only personal experience I have with a Ford Sport mode is in an Explorer we have at work. In that, Sport mode seems to be more geared towards towing and hills. If that's the intent in the F-150 then 4H might make more sense.
Seems we've been operating under the assumption that the Bronco's Sport mode is more geared towards speeding around on pavement, but I can't find anything that actually states it's 2H.

I'd love to get that eventually, but it looks like people are still trying to figure that out for the Raptor and other Ford vehicles, so it may be a while.
My 2019 F150 is 2wd in Sport mode, which is a good thing. It's fun to drive. The manual does state though that it's for "spirited off road driving" or something like that. Baja and Sport just seem redundant to me, unless there's more to it.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ugh... Trying not to spend money on things I don't need or will ever use. Making it sooo hard. Biggest question I'm facing right now is "4A" worth it for the extra $1,500 it will cost to add it to the OB.
In my opinion, yes it is. I've owned a few short wheelbase rear wheel drive vehicles (Broncos and a Wrangler) and one short wheel base AWD (Jeep GC, I'm assuming it's 4A is going to be the same as the Bronco's), it's a night and day difference. AWD is so much more "sure" footed in all situations.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my opinion, yes it is. I've owned a few short wheelbase rear wheel drive vehicles (Broncos and a Wrangler) and one short wheel base AWD (Jeep GC, I'm assuming it's 4A is going to be the same as the Bronco's), it's a night and day difference. AWD is so much more "sure" footed in all situations.
Thats what I was thinking. Winters like this one makes having 4A that much more attractive.
Sponsored