Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
  • Rock Crawl with auto trans requires shifting into N to engage 4L (unclear from KOH videos if the same is true on manual (@IDyeti)
Just wanted to point out that the link provided already answered your question earlier today. You can certainly try to change the transmission coupler while on the move, given enough force, and alcohol, anybody can achieve the "money shift"...

To add anecdotally as a 2019 Ranger owner with the advanced 4wd, yes, you must shift to neutral in order to attempt to enter 4L. There was a very unsettling noise when trying to engage 4L at ~2 mph (think of $20 in spare change inside your clothes dryer while on a heavy cycle) so now we only enter 4L when at a complete stop, and NEVER going from R to N, always from a forward gear (mentioned below as well).

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

4L (4X4 LOW) – Provides mechanically locked four-wheel drive power to both the front and rear wheels for use on low traction surfaces, but does so with additional gearing for increased torque multiplication. Intended only for off-road applications such as deep sand, steep grades, or pulling heavy objects. 4L (4X4 low) should not engage while your vehicle is moving above 3 mph (5 km/h); this is normal and should be no reason for concern. Refer to Shifting to or from 4L (4X4 low) for proper operation.

Shifting between system modes:

Note: Momentarily releasing the accelerator pedal while a shift in progress message displays can improve engagement/disengagement performance.

Note: Do not perform this operation if the rear wheels are slipping or while applying the accelerator pedal.

Note: You may hear some noise as the system shifts or engages; this is normal.

You can move the control from 2H or 4H at a stop or while driving. The information display may display a message indicating a 4X4 shift is in progress. Once the shift is complete the message center can then display the system mode selected.

Shifting to or from 4L (4X4 low):

Note: You may hear some noise as the system shifts or engages; this is normal.

Bring your vehicle to a speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) or less.

Place the transmission in neutral (N).

Move the 4WD control to the desired position.

The information display can display a message indicating a 4X4 shift is in progress. The information display can then display the system mode selected. If any of the above shift conditions are not present, the shift should not occur and the information display can display information guiding the driver through the proper shifting procedures.

If Shift Delayed Pull Forward displays in the information display, a transfer case gear tooth blockage is present. To alleviate this condition, place the transmission in a forward gear, move your vehicle forward approximately 5 ft (1.5 m), and shift the transmission back to neutral (N) to allow the transfer case to complete the range shift.

Genuine question: How much did people absorb from the 4A article?

Answer:
Ford Bronco Bronco GOAT Modes Guide by Trim - Compiled and Confirmed Info 🐐 ObeseJollyIcelandichorse-max-1mb[1]

ObeseJollyIcelandichorse-max-1mb[1].gif
Sponsored

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I just have to say this should be sent to Ford's in house marketing saying "THIS is how you advertise the Bronco". Seriously I know some of the pictures came from BN but to put something together like this that is pretty but also drives real interest in a product is hard and should be commended from @Natai

B Wants A Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X; 2002 BMW 530i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what is the theory on how the GOATS will affect the manual trans? Are we assuming it will only switch the 4x4 settings, lockers, and traction control? It obviously cant change shift points. Maybe hold the RPM's up a second when the clutch is depressed to allow to keep the turbos up?
I think it will do mostly what you say, plus adjust throttle mapping to be more/less aggressive. In terms of hold revs when the clutch is depressed (rev hang as it's called), that's usually a side effect of emissions reduction efforts and such and is usually considered a bad thing. I haven't heard of that being done as a way to keep the turbo spinning. It's a good thought though. Maybe it's correct, I've just never heard of it.

Overland_A51

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Natai Great post, thank you for putting this together.

Even if parts of the modes can be enabled Steering, Transmission Shift Points, Throttle Response are not changed.

Drive Modes are legit and worth the cost

Great Video for Baja Mode explanation and performance.

Chart Source

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ilability-for-each-model-trim-projected.2521/

This chart is not 100% confirmed but gives an idea. Would be great to have it all confirmed.
Ford Bronco Bronco GOAT Modes Guide by Trim - Compiled and Confirmed Info 🐐 6723A3D0-F814-431A-A419-DEE35092D54C

Last edited:

srick76

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 69 Bronco, Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it will do mostly what you say, plus adjust throttle mapping to be more/less aggressive. In terms of hold revs when the clutch is depressed (rev hang as it's called), that's usually a side effect of emissions reduction efforts and such and is usually considered a bad thing. I haven't heard of that being done as a way to keep the turbo spinning. It's a good thought though. Maybe it's correct, I've just never heard of it.
Makes sense, making the throttle a little more responsive. thanks for the input.

Sponsored

batbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Sirish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Electrical sway bar disconnect
Thanks! Any idea if the dealer can change the model from BD to badlands? Will this affect my reservation spot? I'm assuming this will affect the delivery date since bandlands seems to be in high demand.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks! Any idea if the dealer can change the model from BD to badlands? Will this affect my reservation spot? I'm assuming this will affect the delivery date since bandlands seems to be in high demand.
Yes for one. No it should not change your spot for number 2.

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Googz13

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Even if parts of the modes can be enabled Steering, Transmission Shift Points, Throttle Response are not changed.

Chart Source

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ilability-for-each-model-trim-projected.2521/

This chart is not 100% confirmed but gives an idea. Would be great to have it all confirmed.
Ford Bronco Bronco GOAT Modes Guide by Trim - Compiled and Confirmed Info 🐐 6723A3D0-F814-431A-A419-DEE35092D54C
Just going to print that table out and put it on the dash of my base Sasquatch because I am a noob.

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Old is so much better!..I hate when they say Goes Over Any Type of Terrain.
I actually prefer that as well, if for no other reason than it actually spells GOAT instead of GOATT or GOAToT.
Just wanted to point out that the link provided already answered your question earlier today. You can certainly try to change the transmission coupler while on the move, given enough force, and alcohol, anybody can achieve the "money shift"...
I fully expect this as well, but one of the KOH videos mentioned that the manual didn't have to stop for 'something' when the auto did. Still doubt it's this, but until it can be confirmed...

Thanks for the video. I'll give it a look when I get home.

I very intentionally did NOT include that chart. It's pure speculation (educated speculation based on Raptor but still speculation) and keeps being referenced as fact.

It's actually part of the reason I started compiling what was actually confirmed.

But if anyone can actually verify any of that, I'll add it in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks. I’m deciding on my Black Diamond with or without Advanced 4x4. It might have value if I ever drive in snow or ice (not my current SoCal situation), but after watching the KOH videos, I really want Baja. I don’t want to spend the upgrade cost to Badlands, but I’m thinking 4A could offer a “poor man’s” Baja mode. It’s only a $700 upgrade. Am I off base?
Baja Mode switches the Bronco into 4H. It’s demonstrated in the KOH ride videos. So as long as you have 4H, you’re good. As far as 4A is concerned, I personally don’t think it’s worth the extra $750 on top of the Black Diamond trim.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As far as 4A is concerned, I personally don’t think it’s worth the extra $750 on top of the Black Diamond trim.
Depends if you like having real-world 4wd on pavement in real-world driving conditions or not..

It is certainly a limiting factor to have essentially a RWD Bronco that can be 4wd only in off-road or snow/ice/sand conditions, and only after first stopping to pull some levers. Which is what you're promoting.

Surely the burnouts with the 2.7 will be fun for that first set of tires without 4A, of that there is no doubt. Then it just starts to get expensive and tiresome.

But then again, most people haven't actually researched what the advanced 4wd does (linked multiple times in this thread).

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Holy shit! As a desert rat, this is most appealing. I don't really need to go 90+ mph on gravel... Baja mode Light would be plenty.

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Depends if you like having real-world 4wd on pavement in real-world driving conditions or not..

It is certainly a limiting factor to have essentially a RWD Bronco that can be 4wd only in off-road or snow/ice/sand conditions, and only after first stopping to pull some levers. Which is what you're promoting.

Surely the burnouts with the 2.7 will be fun for that first set of tires without 4A, of that there is no doubt. Then it just starts to get expensive and tiresome.

But then again, most people haven't actually researched what the advanced 4wd does (linked multiple times in this thread).
First off, he was asking about Baja mode. So I’m correct that you don’t need 4A to mimic that. And it’s my personal opinion that 4A isn’t worth the extra $750. I’ve driven plenty of Ford vehicles with 4A, and it doesn’t handle any better than 2H on bad highways. That’s what winter tires are for.

For someone so pretentious, you still don’t understand how 4H works. You don’t need to stop in order to switch into 4H.

Grayman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Sucksarado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

8 pages of defining GOAT mode... slow day at the office...
JK.... :)
G reat
O riginal
A wesome
T ake my money

I ordered the 2dr, 2.3 MT, VB... Badass trim
Sponsored