First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello all, I'm a new member happy to have found the site. I may be developing a business plan over the next year and I'm looking to guage interest and gain insight to the more mainstream Bronco fan. I plan on getting mine in 2022.

Anyways, I'm an electrician and got this idea recently as I turned an old hospital sign into a piece of pop art.

What do you think of a semi-transparent replacement of the BRONCO grille lettering that was back lit with a customizable LED color scheme?

Here are some pictures and videos of the sign I made and the possibilities. With LEDs these days, you can program each three LED section. Meaning, if you wanted a red/white/blue for the 4th of July, I could program it so that the B and R are red, the O and N are white, and the blue is C and O. Green for Saint Patrick's Day, orange for Halloween...red and green for Christmas...of course solid colors to match your car, or just a regular white, with brightness to your taste. The possibilities are pretty much endless but you get the idea.

I've looked into a few state laws including Texas and it seems that as long as "grille color lighting" isn't flashing or alternating colors, it is legal. Of course I'd use weather rated wiring and LEDs and may tie it in with the running lights or fog lights though I'd have to figure out what is best and what couldn't potentially interfere with anything else on the car. I'm not experienced with wiring cars and DC but I'm sure I'll figure it out and I'd test it for a period of time.

I'm not a photoshop guy so you'll just have to imagine what it would look like, but it would be the same font and size as the stock lettering on the grill and be similar in nature to the pictures I've attached.

Also, if you're an experienced 3D printer and would have interest in supplying the Bronco lettering, that may be a possibility too instead of me having to buy a machine and learn that skill.

Thanks in advance for any input.

87ADA4FB-FF4B-4990-9F3B-6FF0E62924A3.jpeg

DFA33302-DC66-4B2F-AD3F-E962C9E86F2C.jpeg

79AE57F3-9C05-4BC7-81F0-24E9C888EF65.jpeg

30EA9E03-4050-4CFD-A996-51A08D97B82D.jpeg

6E22F4F3-2FEA-4388-A403-BDAE738C6DE2.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'd pay for that.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello all, I'm a new member happy to have found the site. I may be developing a business plan over the next year and I'm looking to guage interest and gain insight to the more mainstream Bronco fan. I plan on getting mine in 2022.

Anyways, I'm an electrician and got this idea recently as I turned an old hospital sign into a piece of pop art.

What do you think of a semi-transparent replacement of the BRONCO grille lettering that was back lit with a customizable LED color scheme?

Here are some pictures and videos of the sign I made and the possibilities. With LEDs these days, you can program each three LED section. Meaning, if you wanted a red/white/blue for the 4th of July, I could program it so that the B and R are red, the O and N are white, and the blue is C and O. Green for Saint Patrick's Day, orange for Halloween...red and green for Christmas...of course solid colors to match your car, or just a regular white, with brightness to your taste. The possibilities are pretty much endless but you get the idea.

I've looked into a few state laws including Texas and it seems that as long as "grille color lighting" isn't flashing or alternating colors, it is legal. Of course I'd use weather rated wiring and LEDs and may tie it in with the running lights or fog lights though I'd have to figure out what is best and what couldn't potentially interfere with anything else on the car. I'm not experienced with wiring cars and DC but I'm sure I'll figure it out and I'd test it for a period of time.

I'm not a photoshop guy so you'll just have to imagine what it would look like, but it would be the same font and size as the stock lettering on the grill and be similar in nature to the pictures I've attached.

Also, if you're an experienced 3D printer and would have interest in supplying the Bronco lettering, that may be a possibility too instead of me having to buy a machine and learn that skill.

Ford Bronco BRONCO grille lettering LED back lighting 6E22F4F3-2FEA-4388-A403-BDAE738C6DE2

Ford Bronco BRONCO grille lettering LED back lighting 6E22F4F3-2FEA-4388-A403-BDAE738C6DE2

Should also note that red or blue would be illegal in the front. White or amber should be ok

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice work you're doing!

I'm sure there will be a market for this... no idea how big the market is though... this trend seemed to peak and fade pretty quick it seemed from my standpoint... but then again, there are still people out there adding green under lighting to their jeeps...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sponsored
OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Should also note that red or blue would be illegal in the front. White or amber should be ok
Thank you. If I pursue this, I'd start an LLC and include a warning with the product saying know your own laws, etc.

Nice work you're doing!

I'm sure there will be a market for this... no idea how big the market is though... this trend seemed to peak and fade pretty quick it seemed from my standpoint... but then again, there are still people out there adding green under lighting to their jeeps...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you and yes, this isn't really "my style" but judging from all the angry looking Jeep headlights that are red and have douchey looking Fuel wheels, one would think there's a market though I have found so far that at least the Bronco people here are more mature... Chill.. Less.. Flamboyant? Than a fraction of Jeep people like the one I just described. Who knows. I like the idea of a fairly dim white light version of bronco lettering and I'm conservative... though I wouldn't pay for it probably.

do you have an idea of what this would cost?
I have no idea. Are you talking about cost for me or what I'd charge?

If you mean customer, I would likely experiment on my own Bronco to iron out the bugs, then sell locally and have me install them to get some real world people to say hey this guy is okay / legit, them figure out a price to charge.

I think I'd ship it as a complete grille to reduce problems and have the customer return the grille as a "core" for a refund of agreed upon price.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 3D printer!!!!!!!

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yea fellow Engineer here - if you're doing this as a business you might want to look into who can do injection or compression plastic molding. 3D printing is good for prototypes and low volume parts, but is much slower/costlier if you're trying to make them in mass (IE batches of 100 or more)

Disclaimer - I'm not super versed in sourcing plastic parts, but my wife (engineer) is.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you are adding back lighting to an existing BRONCO grille, then you'd probably be okay. If you are going to be creating a new clear or semi clear BRONCO lettering on a grille with backlighting, get ready to work with Ford on getting a license to use their design for the logo, etc. with some sort of royalty you'd need to pay to Ford. Or expect a cease and desist letter sometime after you start marketing these grilles.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yea fellow Engineer here - if you're doing this as a business you might want to look into who can do injection or compression plastic molding. 3D printing is good for prototypes and low volume parts, but is much slower/costlier if you're trying to make them in mass (IE batches of 100 or more)

Disclaimer - I'm not super versed in sourcing plastic parts, but my wife (engineer) is.
To be clear I'm no engineer and thank you for your response. I wouldn't plan on doing this full-time as I already have my career and family. So low volume is fine, but it would be imperative that the plastic resists UV any anything else so that it stays looking the same as it did on day one. I haven't committed to making these quite yet and don't want to waste people's time (yet--ha).

If you are adding back lighting to an existing BRONCO grille, then you'd probably be okay. If you are going to be creating a new clear or semi clear BRONCO lettering on a grille with backlighting, get ready to work with Ford on getting a license to use their design for the logo, etc. with some sort of royalty you'd need to pay to Ford. Or expect a cease and desist letter sometime after you start marketing these grilles.
This is the kind of advice I really need. Thank you. Getting such licensing... Do you have an idea of how that would work, if it would be a percentage of sales, or what? And yes I meant replacing the BRONCO lettering so you were correct. Such a downer but that makes perfect sense.

Edit: I found on https://www.fordbrandlicensing.com/Apply/Commercial it looks pretty clear but since I don't have anything to apply with I can't do so now. I wonder what the cost is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Its a little too ricey for me, but many here would like it and it's been discussed before. One of the better known truck-rice companies, Recon, already makes lit emblems for Ford trucks. They're certainly eye catching.

Ford Bronco BRONCO grille lettering LED back lighting 264282CH_264282BK_OT_V1

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good Luck!! keep us informed I love moding my rides... never done in lighting like this but who knows

Edit: most will have the factory aux switches that you can wire into... we will know more when released but should be simple and available for your use.... connection should be right there as many will put pod light etc

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It'd have to be subtle, like the accents used on Mercedes and Mazda. Definitely something I've thought about.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good Luck!! keep us informed I love moding my rides... never done in lighting like this but who knows

Edit: most will have the factory aux switches that you can wire into... we will know more when released but should be simple and available for your use.... connection should be right there as many will put pod light etc
Yes I've thought about tying into the aux switched but I think it'll be more convenient to have it with fog lights or daytime running lights etc because I feel like that would be a pain to turn them on every time. Food for thought.

This may all be dead in the water if I need licensing though.

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I've thought about tying into the aux switched but I think it'll be more convenient to have it with fog lights or daytime running lights etc because I feel like that would be a pain to turn them on every time. Food for thought.

This may all be dead in the water if I need licensing though.
Not at all - #1 there is plenty of them #2 its right above your head

Ford Bronco BRONCO grille lettering LED back lighting 1602784861949
Sponsored