MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s not correct, a disconnected sway bar absolutely gives you more wheel travel. Otherwise why do we unhook them when we are playing in the rocks?
To be able to have more articulation. It allows each wheel to flex more.

The shock is what decides travel.

Edit: Sway bar helps with side to side. Shocks are up and down. Imagine the Bronco was dropped from 20 feet onto its tires. Do you think sway bar disconnect would matter in which one bottomed out?
Sponsored

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To be able to have more articulation. It allows each wheel to flex more.

The shock is what decides travel.

Edit: Sway bar helps with side to side. Shocks are up and down. Imagine the Bronco was dropped from 20 feet onto its tires. Do you think sway bar disconnect would matter in which one bottomed out?
Not trying to argue on the internet, but I promise you I can drop a front tire 4” lower with my swaybar unhooked. The endlinks only allow so much misalignment. In a “perfect” world, you might be correct, but jeeps 100% gain effective flex and wheel travel by unhooking that bar. Mine is off right now from a wheeling trip to Disney ORV last weekend.

edit: look at that pic. You aren’t stuffing a tire that hard with the bar connected

BC4924A2-6DB1-4594-8879-5891E23D4321.png

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not trying to argue on the internet, but I promise you I can drop a front tire 4” lower with my swaybar unhooked. The endlinks only allow so much misalignment. In a “perfect” world, you might be correct, but jeeps 100% gain effective flex and wheel travel by unhooking that bar. Mine is off right now from a wheeling trip to Disney ORV last weekend.

edit: look at that pic. You aren’t stuffing a tire that hard with the bar connected

Ford Bronco Bronco has less ground clearance than a Jeep Renegade BC4924A2-6DB1-4594-8879-5891E23D4321
Yeah I get that you can drop A tire 4” lower with it disconnected. I’m talking about high speed whoops forcing the travel. I’m talking if you have a set of Kings with adjustable dampers and you set it all the way soft and then hit the whoops at speed.

The sway bar disconnect allows you to use the travel of the shocks to articulate. It doesn’t add more travel.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Teo...haven't seen much of you since the days you were fending off IFS nay-sayers.

Tire size question: Base >> Outer Banks have 32" or smaller tires...Badlands & Squatch have altered suspensions & larger tires. Are 32s the largest you can run on the lower trims?
getting back on a little late but as far as I know, no. There are a few ways they did all this that surprised me so I am not an expert here but I think the badlands just has nicer shocks at its base level so there's your 33's. Now if 35's don't fit on the base hardware stock I imagine it will only take a minimal amount of work/lift to fit them, especially considering it looks like the sasquatch or similar "catalog" options allow 37's with little to no work.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That’s what tires are for, you drive over rocks, you don’t straddle them. As I said you need some clearance, and I’d argue that in most cases anything north of 9” is plenty. On the Bronco as all body on frame vehicles this will be the pumpkin as the low point. I’m curious to see what the clearance will be between the wheels and at the front and rear bumper as this will give accurate approach, departure, and break over. For me I don’t ever plan to rock crawl, so the stock Black Diamond will handle anything I’m likely to encounter.
Why do you need a black diamond if you don’t plan to rock crawl??

Sponsored

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not all ground clearance is created equal, these are measured (hopefully) at the minimum ground clearance. Show me the maximum ground clearance, the average ground clearance, the median ground clearance, the profile of said ground clearance plotted against x and y. In the case of the Renegade its probably pretty close to 8.7 across the Board. I guarantee that Bronco clearance number is a worst cast point to the pumpkin or shock bracket. Give me a rock garden full of 9" reliefs and tell me you think the Renegade would be better suited :LOL:

YES!

My Jeep is ~10" at the front axle with 33" tires and it's 18" at the center skid under the transfer case. If it had 30 tires then I would be at about 8.5".

If it were 10" from front to rear it would be WAY less capable (crappy break-over angle).

To that end, a better metric than just ground clearance would be break-over angle. That at least tells you how "tucked up" the bottom is vs some other rig.

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends on the sway bar. Sway bar attached front and rear ?:

Ford Bronco Bronco has less ground clearance than a Jeep Renegade 1603430204437
Whats the other tire doing, and is that a factory bar?

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whats the other tire doing, and is that a factory bar?
Other front tire is dropped (like driver rear). Sway bars are after market (Currie Antirock).

Reactions: JT1

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Other front tire is dropped (like driver rear). Sway bars are after market (Currie Antirock).
With that much movement I assumed it was a currie or one of the other adjustable bars. Nice TJ. I miss mine.

Sponsored

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you're planning to take your Bronco off-road, then it must be sasquatched.
Obviously serious off roaders will go sasquatch. So what if the base Bronco doesn't have more ground clearance than some others is that a reason to hate it? There is something to be said for easy entry and exit without having to have

So with 32" tires, we'll have 9.4" of ground clearance, and with 33's only 9.9"!
Even with 35's it only goes up to 10.8 inches on the 4 door, because the high clearance suspension on the Sasquatch adds an inch of lift

and the Outlander Sport

and the Subaru Crosstrek

even a freaking Rav4 has more ground clearance than the 4 door!
Obviously serious off roaders will go Sasquatch. So what if there are other vehicles that have more ground clearance than base? Not everyone is into wheeling and there is something to be said for easy entry and exit.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Obviously serious off roaders will go sasquatch. So what if the base Bronco doesn't have more ground clearance than some others is that a reason to hate it? There is something to be said for easy entry and exit without having to have

Obviously serious off roaders will go Sasquatch. So what if there are other vehicles that have more ground clearance than base? Not everyone is into wheeling and there is something to be said for easy entry and exit.
Even an amateur offroader should be able to figure out that rated "ground clearance" ratings are almost worthless on a solid axle rig.

They measure the distance between the rear diff and the ground. Bam, that is the ground clearance, the lowest point between the vehicle and the ground. Independent suspension rigs have it easy in that regard because they have control arms to get the diff higher.

Diff goes up and down the tires and is kind of hard to factor into much of anything. Meanwhile the rating on a independant suspension rig could be the exhaust in the middle of the bellypan... so it is like comparing apples to shovels.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Clearance doesn’t come from suspensions. It comes from tires.
A lift without tires will improve approach, departure and RBO. A lift without tires on an IFS vehicle will improve clearance at the IFS crossmember. A lift without tires will improve clearance a all chassis points (fuel tank, frame, muffler, drivetrain). Alift without tires will improve clearance at all points except the ends of the lower control arms and rear (solid) axle.

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lift without tires will improve approach, departure and RBO. A lift without tires on an IFS vehicle will improve clearance at the IFS crossmember. A lift without tires will improve clearance a all chassis points (fuel tank, frame, muffler, drivetrain). Alift without tires will improve clearance at all points except the ends of the lower control arms and rear (solid) axle.
I agree but usually that clearance number is from the lowest point like the pumpkin.