Streetfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is anyone else really excited about a Bronco Hybrid? I'm not sure what leaks are out there but I really hope that Ford has a Bronco available at launch with a plug-in hybrid version (not mild hybrid type). If I get one, it would be my daily driver and it would be awesome if it can get 30-40 miles of pure electric for my commute. I know a lot of you old school folks might not be interested (something else that can break) but low end torque for off-road and the possible that it offers a mobile generator (like they are saying the new f150 will have ) seems really cool.

From the sticky thread above:
"Ford’s new hybrids will offer customers more space than today’s hybrids. On the F-150 Hybrid, Ford will lean in to capability, such as the low-end torque for extra pulling power and the fact it can serve as a mobile generator."
Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
not enough options. I would like to see a Hybrid option, but it would certainly be a wait and see to get one for me. It does have potential, as does a full electric.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow I just had an insane idea...

What if the 7-speed manual is for the plug in hybrid, with “1st” gear being an electric-only mode!?? How cool would that be. THAT I would buy 100%. Might be the most pie-in-the-sky thing I’ve ever thought of but what a badass concept that would be.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am supportive of hybrids in general, but the Bronco will be purely a fun vehicle for me, not a commuter or daily driver. I would prefer not to have a hybrid system adding weight and complexity for that purpose. I'm all for it being an option for those that do though.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hybrid - possibly, dependent on how it is implemented. But it's unlikely they'll implement it the way I'd like, so probably not.

A 4x4 SUV that is going to be used for real 4-wheeling could benefit immensely from electric drives. Precise speed, torque, and traction control could be attained. If designed to be performance-centric, focusing on the things 4x4s do, it could be of interest to me. Heavy on the electric, ICE onboard generator (not for direct/mechanical motive power) for recharging when there isn't an external source of electrons available.

50 miles of plug-in range would comfortably accomodate the average US commuter. The onboard generator would handle extended trips and high demand, charging to maintain sustainable battery levels in between demand cycles.

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would opt for it if it has the same styling and options available as whatever the “rubicon” or Raptor version of the bronco is

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No hybrids for me...the IC engine is what it is & won't change much. Hybrids are likely to be reinvented numerous times over the next decade or two.

OP
OP
Streetfish

Streetfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it is the 2.7 ecoboost that they use for the hybrid, it will be an absolute beast. It could easily have 400 total HP. I think it will definitely be a 'top of the line' trim level offering

OP
OP
Streetfish

Streetfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

What if the 7-speed manual is for the plug in hybrid, with “1st” gear being an electric-only mode!?? How cool would that be. THAT I would buy 100%. Might be the most pie-in-the-sky thing I’ve ever thought of but what a badass concept that would be.
I think chances are higher that it is an auto only option

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think chances are higher that it is an auto only option
Oh absolutely, I just came up with that idea. Would be amazing imo but 0% chance of it actually happening.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Typical commercially viable hybrid and electric systems don't fit my long term use.

If the integration of those systems doesn't adversely affect the design or traditional optioned trims, IDC. Options are good.

If I was going to get one in general, it would probably be a smaller lighter efficiency oriented model like the baby.

DaBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Even though I personally am not a fan of Hybrids, I would definitely be supportive of this. I'd also give it serious consideration when it came to purchasing.

EDIT: I also realize it is a pipe dream. Just an interesting one at that!

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

'Transmissions' as we generally know them are pretty pointless for an electric motor driven system. Most of them don't have gears at all, not even a high/low range. Even the electric racers tinkered with the idea, and said "**** it, not worth the effort."

So the odds of having a manual in a mass produced electric car are probably infinitesimally small.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I made this same poll earlier this year. I'm very interested in what Ford offers us. They have a chance to really showcase some cutting edge examples of what a hybrid can do for an off-road vehicle. Considering they are really striving for more hybrid and electric vehicles you would think they would be seizing this opportunity. There are some great benefits a hybrid can offer an off-road vehicle that frankly we haven't really seen yet.

One of our sources here or somewhere (I can't remember the source right now) alluded to the hybrid not coming on launch. I hope that's not the case as I am highly interested. I would like to use my Bronco as a daily driver and part time overlander.
Sponsored

Reactions: bek