Sponsored

Bronco IIHS crash test safety rating before delivery?

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello All,

I know no one really knows, but do you think Ford will get the Bronco 2 door and 4 door tested from IIHS before we take delivey?

It‘s nice to know how safe a vehicle is before you buy it. And yes, I’m not expecting top safety pick +, but it would be nice.
Sponsored

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I dont think they can legally sell them without having the tests performed and that is what a chunk of the pre production models are for.

Now will they be ranked and scored with that info being released to the public...is another question. I would imagine in the Feb-March time-frame we will have some idea.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I think the issue is that what is happening in Dec is not actually Purchasing the Bronco's... these are just pre-orders so I don't think anything has to be officially sorted out until Ford is actually about to Sell a Bronco.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford said they are anticipating a top safety pick + rating for the Bronco, significantly better than the Wrangler. I'm not concerned at all.

Sponsored

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford said they are anticipating a top safety pick + rating for the Bronco, significantly better than the Wrangler. I'm not concerned at all.
Wrangler is the worse safety wise.
They got to be better that Jeeps! ?

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wrangler is the worse safety wise.
They got to be better that Jeeps! ?

I was told by a rep that was a big part of the IFS being in Bronco, something to do with solid axle making crash testing difficult to pass, I'm not sure why though.

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Needs to be crash tested before they can even sell it, safe to say you'll know the answer before you take delivery.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Needs to be crash tested before they can even sell it, safe to say you'll know the answer before you take delivery.
Actually, I don't think they do, or at least not the rating tests, Look up Corvette on safercar.gov Still not tested and coming up on a year old. I think the minimum tests and the rating tests are different.

Sponsored

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Actually, I don't think they do, or at least not the rating tests, Look up Corvette on safercar.gov Still not tested and coming up on a year old. I think the minimum tests and the rating tests are different.
Oh okay. I just knew it needed to be crash tested at some level before being able to be sold. Just through a quick search there is no requirement for public crash testing data, but all cars are tested in some capacity to meet the safety standards required.

I wonder if IIHS has to buy cars to test them or if they're provided by the manufacturer? Either way I can imagine they don't want to offer up a bunch of $100k cars lol

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am not concerned. Ford builds safe vehicles. I wonder though....will they crash test the Bronco doing 45 mph, jumping a sand dune, air borne for 32 feet, passing over a 9' tall BigFoot and then landing....hitting a 100 year old Douglas Fir Tree??? Will they repeat as a similar test, ending with rolling 17 times down another sand dune??? Asking for a friend.

• Haha
Reactions: jxc

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco Bronco IIHS crash test safety rating before delivery? crashtestingfordummies

XCR440

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh okay. I just knew it needed to be crash tested at some level before being able to be sold. Just through a quick search there is no requirement for public crash testing data, but all cars are tested in some capacity to meet the safety standards required.

I wonder if IIHS has to buy cars to test them or if they're provided by the manufacturer? Either way I can imagine they don't want to offer up a bunch of $100k cars lol

They do buy them. I don't put as much faith in their tests as the governments (who'd have thought I'd ever say I trust the government more). I have issues with people who can base rates based on the results, too much incentive to have more common vehicles do worse.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/about-our-tests

For the crash tests we conduct, we purchase the vehicles from dealers just like an ordinary consumer. If the test is being conducted at the manufacturer's request and isn't part of our regular testing schedule, then the manufacturer reimburses us for the vehicle.

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know NHTSA needs to be done, but is IIHS necessary?
Sponsored