First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm okay guys, thanks for your concern. Ordering another one this weekend.
I am glad to hear that you are ok! That was a nasty accident.

It's unfortunate to say the least. Is there anything you need?
Sponsored

Sweetooth710

Badlands
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI ... teslas have some the best crash ratings in the industry

This does not mean you can't die in them as with any car crash, you can die
Especially when you collide with a vehicle that outweighs yours by 3,000 pounds and with its body mass a ft higher. What would anyone expect? The mediocre humor championing the Bronco seems distasteful to me. Someone lost their life and others a loved one.

Yes, itā€™s a tank by comparison. Now lets see the bronco take on a Semi!

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 4Runner, ā€˜16 BMW 328i, ā€˜96 Stang GT, ā€˜19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If the vehicle can't make turns on it's own, how does Waymo get their driverless cars to go around town with nobody in the vehicle?
I have been a Waymo beta test rider along with my whole family since 2018, and the Waymo concept is not to design a better driverless car, but to design a better driver. They donā€™t believe any vehicle should be only partly driverlessā€¦assistedā€¦as it is human nature to then let the vehicle take over at the moments that go beyond what the tech is designed for. With Waymo, itā€™s 100% driverless or nothing. I ride around Tempe in the back seat with no one else in the vehicle after calling it up like an Uber on my phone, then read bronco6g until it drops me at my destination.

Sponsored

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 4Runner, ā€˜16 BMW 328i, ā€˜96 Stang GT, ā€˜19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Therein lies the biggest problem that I see with any sort of semi-autonomous vehicle feature.

We are a very long way from the point where a vehicle can safely drive itself, with no need for a human driver to be paying attention.

The net effect of these features is to encourage drivers to depend on them, and to pay much less attention than they really need to be paying.

This will unavoidably lead to more accidents, with more people being injured or killed.
We are a lot closer than you think. I ride fully autonomous, no human driver, sitting all alone in the rear seat, in Waymos whenever I want. Been riding in them as a beta tester for three years.

Uthatcher

First Edition
First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor, 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Especially when you collide with a vehicle that outweighs yours by 3,000 pounds and with its body mass a ft higher. What would anyone expect? The mediocre humor championing the Bronco seems distasteful to me. Someone lost their life and others a loved one.

Yes, itā€™s a tank by comparison. Now lets see the bronco take on a Semi!
A Model 3 does not weigh 2500 pounds, which is what a 3000 pound delta would indicate. It's closer to the 4000 pound range, depending on how it's optioned. I have a Model S Plaid the weighs 4800 pounds. I have verified this by actually weighing it, and also my FE 4-door Bronco on scales.

The Bronco came in at 5500 pounds, which really blew my mind. I cannot figure where all that weight is, especially when I had a 4-door Jeep JL that weighed around that with 37's, steel bumpers, coilers, and a bunch of other junk bolted to it.

100% agreed on the ridiculously distasteful, uninformed, obnoxious, and unabashedly stupid remarks seen on here.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We are a lot closer than you think. I ride fully autonomous, no human driver, sitting all alone in the rear seat, in Waymos whenever I want. Been riding in them as a beta tester for three years.
Tesla says fully autonomous software is included in all of their new models, but not yet activated.

Analog Kid

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I took the bus and rode commuter trains for many years. Human operators never once failed me, but driver or no driver what a boring way to get around.

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Man, this makes my heart sink. I feel
Horrible for the family. I canā€™t imagine my wife not coming home ever again. Right before Christmas seems to make
It worse. My prayers go out to the family and friends.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depending on the model, the Tesla weight is very close or even higher than the Bronco.
Generic internet search shows the Bronco Badlands is 4945 lbs. The Tesla Plaid Model S is 4766 lbs and regular Model S is 4561 lbs.

So maybe a 10% difference in mass. But Newton's law in such an incident dictates that the forces acting on both cars is the same, even if the cars collide at different speeds or have different masses. The Bronco in this instance appears to be better build. But that doesn't take into account that the impact points on both vehicles may have been at the different points in their crumple zones, or at a weak point in the Tesla crumple zone.

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Therein lies the biggest problem that I see with any sort of semi-autonomous vehicle feature.

We are a very long way from the point where a vehicle can safely drive itself, with no need for a human driver to be paying attention.

The net effect of these features is to encourage drivers to depend on them, and to pay much less attention than they really need to be paying.

This will unavoidably lead to more accidents, with more people being injured or killed.
Yet, it hasnā€™t

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You can blame Tesla for giving that moron a car that he can easily think he can leave to drive itself, without him paying attention.
I guess we just throw personal responsibility out the window?

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is part of the reason why you should take the safety test data with a grain of salt. At the end of the day the standardized tests where they run vehicles into cement blocks at various angles doesn't simulate the real world very well. In collisions the physics matters, and despite the tesla having a top safety rating, a big heavy truck is going to do better the crash between the two vehicles.
True that larger vehicles have an advantage when crashing with a smaller vehicle. I worked in the collision industry for over 20 years and have seen up close thousands of vehicles involved in fatal crashes. Also true that trucks and SUVā€™s with their higher center of gravity are much more like to be in a rollover accident and 30% of all traffic fatalities are rollover crashes. I would never drive a small car especially with all the pick up trucks and large SUVā€™s on the road here in Minnesota. Our Range Rover and Tesla Model S both weigh about 5,000 lbs and they both would be heavier if they didnā€™t have all of their body panels made out of aluminum.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.