Sponsored

Bronco key fob too big. Can I use another type?

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The key fob is oversized and has some significant blank space with a base. Can I use another ford key fob or is that not possible?

Ford Bronco Bronco key fob too big. Can I use another type? FLMPROX9-MAIN1
You can but why? You'd pay more for buttons you can't use?

You can use whatever fob you want as long as it's the same style pictured and they ain't very cheap...

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You can but why? You'd pay more for buttons you can't use?

You can use whatever fob you want as long as it's the same style pictured and they ain't very cheap...
He's probably hoping to use one of Fords smaller Fobs. I agree the Bronco along with the many or most Fords have far too big of a key fob.

The fob for my Focus RS was half the size and infinitely more pocketable.

I've never heard of anyone doing it. No clue if it can be done but I expect not.

Last edited:

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Folks with tiny fingers have it made...

Sponsored

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

can't use a different style?
Has to be 2017+ with push button start capabilities for a Ford.
He's probably hoping to use one of Fords smaller Fobs. I agree the Bronco along with the many or most Fords have far too big of a key fob.

I've never heard of anyone doing it. No clue if I can be done but I expect not.
Yea I'm not saying he's wrong, just these are all a generic shell to accommodate all the different trims and features. I've never had a customer request we program a different style key before so this is new to me but I know you need at least a 2017+ fob style as those were the start of the push buttons for ford if I'm not mistaken.

OP
OP
Messin w Sasquatch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base

I've never heard of anyone doing it. No clue if it can be done but I expect not.
Yeah focus rs fob was what I had in mind. Assume its not possible/realistic

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Has to be 2017+ with push button start capabilities for a Ford.

Yea I'm not saying he's wrong, just these are all a generic shell to accommodate all the different trims and features. I've never had a customer request we program a different style key before so this is new to me but I know you need at least a 2017+ fob style as those were the start of the push buttons for ford if I'm not mistaken.
Not that it really matters, but Ford had push button and intelligent access prior to 2017. Idk the exact year but it was before that.

The RS and probably other models of Focus had it, just with a smaller fob. Like you said though, they're just using a generic fob big enough to fit every possible function for every model, and filling the rest of it with blanks for cars that don't have everything.

Cost cutting at its finest.

The Bronco/Mustang/F-Series fobs "feel" more premium, but the bloated size and blank buttons are annoying as hell. I miss my RS fob. I'm often carrying around 2 key fobs these days, so I really wish they were smaller.

Ford Bronco Bronco key fob too big. Can I use another type? Snapchat-510072558

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Fob houses the key , hence the size. Fortunately for myself, I am well inclined to a huge thing occupying the front pocket regions of my pants. Wow, the things folks complain about.

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The key fob for the Jeep Gladiator was huge. It could hold an extra gallon of gas as backup.

I replaced it with AJT Design. I'm not sure they have a replacement for the bronco at this time, but you can inquire.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Things that make you go hmmm… 🤔

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The Fob houses the key , hence the size. Fortunately for myself, I am well inclined to a huge thing occupying the front pocket regions of my pants. Wow, the things folks complain about.
The smaller Focus fob housed a physical key as well. That's not the reason. It's a cost saving measure to use the same design across multiple models.

I realize it's something that doesn't bother people, but I carry a lot of shit in my pockets and if the keys were smaller it would be great. Cool if you're not phased by it. Doesn't mean others can't inquire about alternatives.

I'm actually not even that interested in using something else, but I don't blame someone for wanting to switch.

You must not be carrying anything THAT big down there if you've got soooo much extra room for keys 🙄

Last edited:

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco fob is bigger then a suburban or Escalade fob. Makes no damn sense. Scared I may break a toe if I drop it.
Sponsored