Sponsored

Bronco key fob too big. Can I use another type?

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Fob houses the key , hence the size. Fortunately for myself, I am well inclined to a huge thing occupying the front pocket regions of my pants. Wow, the things folks complain about.
Right? I've seen a few Jeep guys that carry a Bronco fob in their pocket for just that reason.
Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well I have some good news on that front. I have a 2020 Ford Escape, same key fob design as the Bronco key fob.

Idiot me left his keys and wallet outside overnight about a week ago. Set them on top of my Escape's hood while I walked up to my mailbox to grab my mail... and... totally forgot about them. And of course... it rained nearly 2 inches that night.
My F150 Key fob has been in the washing machine/dryer a couple of times and still works great. The alarm did go off on the truck while it was getting tossed around in the dryer the second time.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sometimes it's uncomfortable to have the bronco key and my wallet (or holster) in the same pocket so I bought a fob cover that has a clip so I just clip it to my belt loop so it doesn't take up pocket space.
Ford Bronco Bronco key fob too big. Can I use another type? Screenshot_20220528-110109~2

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my wife’s minivan has all the features that my Bronco (lux package), plus buttons to open the tailgate and power sliding doors, the spare manual key and uses a CR2032 batter and it is roughly 1/2 the size.

The only reason the key fob is as big as it is is because Ford decided to design it that way.
Oh yeah, for sure they could have designed it better.

My Focus has a smaller key fob than the Bronco and also has a CR2032 battery and a spare. Granted that spare key is the old-school key design and not the new side-cut key, and the key fob was slightly thicker than the current Ford fobs. BUT... it still worked. (Unfortunately it wasn't water resistant and cost $325 to replace, which sucked.)

I'm sure it was a combination of market research, costs, durability, etc. etc. that led Ford to their current design. Not the best design, but definitely not the worst either.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right? I've seen a few Jeep guys that carry a Bronco fob in their pocket for just that reason.
ROFL! Post of the day, well done, well done.

Sponsored

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, the additional key I programmed will start the vehicle.

Here are the instructions from the manual:

PROGRAMMING...
Ok so it's literally the same as what we would have done with the IDS or FDRS (vehicle dependent), Ford just eliminated the need to do so given you have two keys.

Man a lot has changed since I retired.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He's probably hoping to use one of Fords smaller Fobs. I agree the Bronco along with the many or most Fords have far too big of a key fob.

The fob for my Focus RS was half the size and infinitely more pocketable.

I've never heard of anyone doing it. No clue if it can be done but I expect not.
Bigger pockets and pants will help!!

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The problem comes when you have a monster GM key fob and the Monster bronco key FOB. As for if they had to make it that big, the key is long no doubt, but why so thick and wide. It's like the designer has people who made the old Motorola luggable cell phone.
I'm just going to have to carry the keys separately, not because my wife doesn't like the bulge, but because they bump into each other when I bend over at the gas pump and set off the panic button.

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem comes when you have a monster GM key fob and the Monster bronco key FOB. As for if they had to make it that big, the key is long no doubt, but why so thick and wide. It's like the designer has people who made the old Motorola luggable cell phone.
I'm just going to have to carry the keys separately, not because my wife doesn't like the bulge, but because they bump into each other when I bend over at the gas pump and set off the panic button.
There has to be a good joke in there about setting off panic at the gas station when you bend over...but I haven't had enough coffee yet to find it.

Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bronco key fob is close in size, if not same size, as my F150 fob. My wife’s Wrangler key fob is close by n size to a cinder block.

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it too big for skinny jeans?