Sponsored

Bronco key fob too big. Can I use another type?

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn’t mind a smaller key. The one for my Chevy work truck is significantly smaller in the pocket than the Bronco key.

You can but why? You'd pay more for buttons you can't use?

You can use whatever fob you want as long as it's the same style pictured and they ain't very cheap...
I don’t think they are expensive. I purchased a Ford marked fob for $69. My buddy at the Chevy dealer cut the backup key for free using my key code I got from the dealer. I was able to program it myself, it did take a few tries but it finally worked.

https://www.keylessentryremotefob.com/ford-bronco-oem-3-button-key-fob-m3n-a2c93142300/

I also had two of these cut for just the center console and glove box. Of course I can’t program them for the ignition on mine with push button start.

https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/...yEnw10-345VnZGNRrARY_nI1LCvXPXcRoC_-cQAvD_BwE

Everyone should get a third key made as soon as they buy any Ford product. If you have two keys you can program more yourself, if you lose one and only have one left reprogramming a new one involves an expensive trip to the dealer.
Sponsored

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t think they are expensive. I purchased a Ford marked fob for $69. My buddy at the Chevy dealer cut the backup key for free using my key code I got from the dealer. I was able to program it myself, it did take a few tries but it finally worked.
Those have gone down significantly then. Granted its been a couple years since I've worked on trucks, but the last time I programmed a key for the customer the key by itself was almost $400 and it was for a super duty.

When you say program it yourself, did that include starting the vehicle? If so, how without IDS? I know you can program FOBs to lock and unlock by yourself but not start the vehicle.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The key fob is one of the more disappointing features. There are plenty of other manufacturers that have much smaller key fobs with all the same features.

Also, given that this is an outdoorsy vehicle and all the promotion they put behind all the buttons in the vehicle being sealed, you would think they’d give us a key fob that also has all the buttons sealed.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those have gone down significantly then. Granted its been a couple years since I've worked on trucks, but the last time I programmed a key for the customer the key by itself was almost $400 and it was for a super duty.

When you say program it yourself, did that include starting the vehicle? If so, how without IDS? I know you can program FOBs to lock and unlock by yourself but not start the vehicle.
Yes, the additional key I programmed will start the vehicle.

Here are the instructions from the manual:

PROGRAMMING THE REMOTE CONTROL

You must have two previously programmed remote controls inside your vehicle and the new, unprogrammed remote controls readily accessible. Contact an authorized dealer to have the spare remote control programmed if two previously programmed remote controls are not available.Make sure that your vehicle is off before beginning this procedure.
Make sure that you close all the doors before beginning and that they remain closed throughout the procedure.Perform all steps within 30 seconds of starting the sequence.Stop and wait for at least one minute before starting again if you perform any steps out of sequence.
Note: You can program a maximum of four remote controls to your vehicle.
Note: If your programmed remote controls get lost or stolen and you do not have an extra coded remote, you need to have your vehicle towed to an authorized dealer. Store an extra programmed remote away from your vehicle in a safe place to help prevent any inconvenience. Contact an authorized dealer to purchase additional spare or replacement remote controls.
Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.
Programming Backup Location
Image Shown Without Description
Place the first programmed remote in the backup slot inside the center console. With your foot off the brake pedal, press and release the push button ignition switch.
Wait five seconds and then press and release the push button ignition switch again.
Remove the remote control.
Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed remote control in the backup slot.Press and release the push button ignition switch.
Wait five seconds and then press and release the push button ignition switch again.Keep the ignition on for at least 3 seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
Remove the remote control.
Place the unprogrammed remote control in the backup slot and press and release the push button ignition switch.
Programming is now complete.With your foot on the brake pedal, press the push button ignition switch to verify the remote control functions operate and your vehicle starts with the new remote control.
If programming was not successful, wait 10 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 7. If you are still unsuccessful, take your vehicle to an authorized dealer.

BF3BDB09-C970-4EBC-9D15-1C0325041989.png

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The key fob is one of the more disappointing features. There are plenty of other manufacturers that have much smaller key fobs with all the same features.

Also, given that this is an outdoorsy vehicle and all the promotion they put behind all the buttons in the vehicle being sealed, you would think they’d give us a key fob that also has all the buttons sealed.
Well I have some good news on that front. I have a 2020 Ford Escape, same key fob design as the Bronco key fob.

Idiot me left his keys and wallet outside overnight about a week ago. Set them on top of my Escape's hood while I walked up to my mailbox to grab my mail... and... totally forgot about them. And of course... it rained nearly 2 inches that night.

To my surprise the key fob survived. Still works perfectly. The USB drive I had on the same keychain did not.

I’m curious if the internals could be moved to a smaller, perhaps 3D printed enclosure 🤔
Yes, it can be moved to a smaller enclosure.

Two reasons why it is so big is because of the spare key (to enter the vehicle when the battery is dead), and because they used a CR2032 battery in it. So if you dropped the spare key and switched to a smaller battery you could put it in a smaller case.

MikeOU

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 4Runner TRD PRO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I replaced it with AJT Design. I'm not sure they have a replacement for the bronco at this time, but you can inquire.
Just checked and AJT has a Ford version coming soon. Have one from my 4Runner. Who would think that you would get asked questions about a key fob. Happens almost every time at the dealership when taken to service.

No instruction video yet. For the 4Runner fob you had to destroy your factory one to get the components into the AJT fob.

AJT Ford 2017+ Replacement Fob

Sponsored

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, it can be moved to a smaller enclosure.

Two reasons why it is so big is because of the spare key (to enter the vehicle when the battery is dead), and because they used a CR2032 battery in it. So if you dropped the spare key and switched to a smaller battery you could put it in a smaller case.
my wife’s minivan has all the features that my Bronco (lux package), plus buttons to open the tailgate and power sliding doors, the spare manual key and uses a CR2032 batter and it is roughly 1/2 the size.

The only reason the key fob is as big as it is is because Ford decided to design it that way.

imaginager

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The AJT doesn't list any dimensions for their fob and in the Wrangler videos on their site, strangely, it appears to be just as large as the fob it's replacing (but maybe slightly thinner). What am I missing?
Sponsored