Reaction score
Website
www.kennethbigler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (Lux/Manual)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello all!

I went to my local dealer's bronco event yesterday with one main goal in mind: measure the manual transmission throw length!

For reference, I daily drive a manual 2018 Corvette Z06, and my wife drives a manual 2020 Mustang GT.

Here were the results I found:

2018 Corvette Z06 (with Z07 Package)
3-43.5 in
1-72.5 in
2020 Mustang GT
3-43.75 in
R-52.75 in
2021 Bronco
3-45 in
R-53.625 in
Dads_bronze_bronco Jeep JK
3-45 in
2-R3.25 in

So, for those of you wondering, it is about 33% longer of a throw to the mustang, and I find it is definitely noticeable.

That being said, I have no complaints with it. The length seems fine, it goes into each gear pretty smoothly, and the clutch is feather light compared to the mustang (which is already a pretty light clutch).

Other concerns I add going into this that were addressed:
  • 1. I am 6'4", 235lbs, and I had no issues fitting into the front seat, and no issues with the B pillars. That was a relief!
  • 2. Being 6'4" with a long torso, and noting that the back seating is stadium seating, I found my head was hitting the roof in the back seat (fine in the front seat). Both were soft top models with the roof open though.
  • 3. I liked Cactus Grey a lot more on the Bronco than the Bronco Sport. I might be changing my color choice from Cyber Orange to Cactus Grey!
  • 4. I am cancelling my BO Bar.
  • 5. The AUX switches at the top feel a little cheap to toggle (way too light), but I will still be happy to have them
  • 6. The rubberized buttons are just that, rubber covers over a button underneath. They feel good.
  • 7. I was debating the floor mats on top of the wash out floors, but after seeing them in person I will not be getting them, the wash out floors were great by themselves.
  • 8. I have never owned a truck, nor an SUV, and I found hopping in to the Big Bend with 32's was a little taller than comfortable for me, so we will see how I do with my Badlands on 33's, maybe it is just something to get used to, but I could see wanting to install a side step down the line.

I will try to answer any questions y'all have in the comments, and update this post if need be :)

FYI, I measured from 1-6, so it really is 5 inches, not 6.

Ford Bronco Measured: 2021 Bronco Manual Transmission Shifter Throw Length 2021 Bronco Shifter Stick throw distance 1

Added video by @PLindsey725

Sponsored

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the detailed measures. Glad to see the Bronco throws are a bit longer than the compared vehicles. Personally, I'm not looking for a car-like transmission experience with the Bronco. I'd love an old school bulletproof manual trans, and hopefully Ford has not compromised the Bronco manual trans to achieve a more car-like experience.

Deleted member 18388

I would hope the throws are longer than a mustang.... it's a damn 4x4, not a sports car for crying out loud. I wish the throws were even longer than it is.

OP
OP
TRUCK3N

TRUCK3N

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kennethbigler.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the detailed measures. Glad to see the Bronco throws are a bit longer than the compared vehicles. Personally, I'm not looking for a car-like transmission experience with the Bronco. I'd love an old school bulletproof manual trans, and hopefully Ford has not compromised the Bronco manual trans to achieve a more car-like experience.
Agreed, I was hoping for longer throws than the Mustang, so I got a little worried with other reviews saying it was "a very short throw, just like a Mustang."
Anyway, I am very happy with the results!
My only concern is the clutch being so light you can't feel the bite point, but the assist spring should be easily modifiable.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

3-43.5 in
1-72.5 in
2020 Mustang GT
3-43.75 in
R-52.75 in
2021 Bronco
3-45 in
R-53.625 in
View attachment 113140
For reference my JK is 5” 3-4, and 2-1/4” 1-5 / 3-1/4” 2-R.

You’re not driving a Corvette or a Mustang, so you really won’t notice it after a few weeks. Besides it gives the Bronco a little more of a truck feel.

OP
OP
TRUCK3N

TRUCK3N

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kennethbigler.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For reference my JK is 5” 3-4, and 2-1/4” 1-5 / 3-1/4” 2-R.

You’re not driving a Corvette or a Mustang, so you really won’t notice it after a few weeks. Besides it gives the Bronco a little more of a truck feel.
Awesome, glad to hear it is right in line with the Jeep!
I may have to go to the local jeep dealership to get the JL numbers too.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hello all!

I went to my local dealer's bronco event yesterday with one main goal in mind: measure the manual transmission throw length!

For reference, I daily drive a manual 2018 Corvette Z06, and my wife drives a manual 2020 Mustang GT.

Here were the results I found:

3-43.5 in
1-72.5 in
2020 Mustang GT
3-43.75 in
R-52.75 in
2021 Bronco
3-45 in
R-53.625 in
Dads_bronze_bronco Jeep JK
3-45 in
2-R3.25 in

So, for those of you wondering, it is about 33% longer of a throw to the mustang, and I find it is definitely noticeable.

That being said, I have no complaints with it. The length seems fine, it goes into each gear pretty smoothly, and the clutch is feather light compared to the mustang (which is already a pretty light clutch).

Other concerns I add going into this that were addressed:
  • 1. I am 6'4", 235lbs, and I had no issues fitting into the front seat, and no issues with the B pillars. That was a relief!
  • 2. Being 6'4" with a long torso, and noting that the back seating is stadium seating, I found my head was hitting the roof in the back seat (fine in the front seat). Both were soft top models with the roof open though.
  • 3. I liked Cactus Grey a lot more on the Bronco than the Bronco Sport. I might be changing my color choice from Cyber Orange to Cactus Grey!
  • 4. I am cancelling my BO Bar.
  • 5. The AUX switches at the top feel a little cheap to toggle (way too light), but I will still be happy to have them
  • 6. The rubberized buttons are just that, rubber covers over a button underneath. They feel good.
  • 7. I was debating the floor mats on top of the wash out floors, but after seeing them in person I will not be getting them, the wash out floors were great by themselves.
  • 8. I have never owned a truck, nor an SUV, and I found hopping in to the Big Bend with 32's was a little taller than comfortable for me, so we will see how I do with my Badlands on 33's, maybe it is just something to get used to, but I could see wanting to install a side step down the line.

I will try to answer any questions y'all have in the comments, and update this post if need be :)

Ford Bronco Measured: 2021 Bronco Manual Transmission Shifter Throw Length 2021 Bronco Shifter Stick throw distance 1
Thanks! At 6'5", I'm glad to know you fit in the front. I, too, waffle on the CO and already changed from CO to A51. Still waffling, looking to see the actual Broncos in the various colors!

PLindsey725

Black Diamond
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is a video I took of the throws, I am definitely a fan, but would add a short shifter if someone comes out with one.

Sorry the video is vertical, I used Snapchat to take it mostly to send to friends.

Attachments

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack