zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have owned only imports all my adult life and that fact had me thinking about the reason for my attraction for the Bronco. I was no closer to the answer until very recently.

I thought the infatuation was based on the Bronco’s extraordinarily good looks and would pass soon enough. After there are the upcoming and enhanced versions of the already very capable 4Runner or the Land Cruiser, or the 2 door Land Rover that’s coming our way or the always dignified Gelandewagen. Each with enough quality and capability to be a desirable SUV.

But then I considered that while the G-Wagen’s roots are the 20,000 truck order by the Shah of Iran (a major MB stockholder at the time) in the 1970’s and the Jeep and the Land Cruiser both came to be in the 1940’s as a result of the practical need to move ground troops in the European and the Pacific theaters of WWII, and while the Land Rover began life in the 1970’s as a primitive farmer’s tool, the Ford Bronco itself on the other hand was created in 1966 for one purpose-to allow the average American the means to go out and explore the beauty of their rugged continent, to get in touch with the outdoors in style and comfort.

I realized that while I am unlikely to fully live the life of someone who calls the open spaces of the majestic American West his home, the Bronco could let me experience a little bit of it every time I sit in it.

And so I got to know the answer to the question that I had been asking myself.

I want to own the Bronco because I want to own more than just a capable SUV. I want to own the Bronco because it is made by the people who call this glorious land their home. No Land Cruiser or 4Runner or G-Wagen, no matter how capable has that one intrinsic quality that is so special that it overcomes any comparative shortcoming that the lovely Bronco may theoretically have.

These other attractive options can certainly take me to the wild and often lonely places in comfort and safety but they cannot make me feel a part of those places as the Bronco can.

The Bronco therefore is not only the way to the adventure, it is a part of the experience itself. It allows you to live the adventure and not merely observe it while you sit on a steed that itself arrived from elsewhere.

It is the perfect home-made tool to stir and awaken that spirit of adventure in all who hear and understand it’s call.

Ford is as American as apple pie.

Bronco is the rare embodiment and expression of the spirit of American exploration. You cannot find it in any other SUV, no matter how reliable or exclusive.

I guess at the heart of it and what endears the Bronco to so many of us is that it has that elusive quality of being able to connect us to our wonderful, vast, majestic continent.

And that is why I am buying the Bronco.

———x——x——x———

And also why I suspect many of us are not deterred by the lack of certain creature comforts or amenities that we expect in an average car or SUV. Those details may have been appreciated but are not the deal breakers they would be in an ordinary means of transport. The Bronco, at least for some of us, does not only transport us physically from place to place but also transports us in time. And that is a feature you cannot get in another SUV, even as an option, at any price.

Not every vehicle is born with a soul and that is why we love the lovely Bronco.

786D2F7A-2EDB-4AA6-ADD8-E60CB1E3FE50.jpeg

3F037A91-3676-4460-903E-5A710519B769.jpeg

3383E9D0-00E8-4678-9993-24950355399E.jpeg

7033515E-0900-4E0B-ADA7-70A6853B74E8.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you for taking the time to read.
It would be great to hear what makes the Bronco so special to you.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you for taking the time to read.
It would be great to hear what makes the Bronco so special to you.

To me, what's special about it is it was designed to earn its keep. I remember the work vehicles from the 60s and 70s, and even the muscle cars of that era, that were designed for one thing and did it well. Ford is finally getting back to some of their roots and producing a vehicle that does a very specific thing well. Not just try to appeal to every buyer on the market.

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not buying a Bronco because it is a Ford our because it is made in the USA. I am buying one because I really love the overall design and capability. It is a new design and for me it is much more interesting than any other vehicle out there. I am willing to wait. That is a very good thing for Ford too....that I like the Bronco because of the vehicle itself and nothing else.

Sponsored

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have owned only imports all my adult life and that fact had me thinking about the reason for my attraction for the Bronco. I was no closer to the answer until very recently.

I thought the infatuation was based on the Bronco’s extraordinarily good looks and would pass soon enough. After there are the upcoming and enhanced versions of the already very capable 4Runner or the Land Cruiser, or the 2 door Land Rover that’s coming our way or the always dignified Gelandewagen. Each with enough quality and capability to be a desirable SUV.

But then I considered that while the G-Wagen’s roots are the 20,000 truck order by the Shah of Iran (a major MB stockholder at the time) in the 1970’s and the Jeep and the Land Cruiser both came to be in the 1940’s as a result of the practical need to move ground troops in the European and the Pacific theaters of WWII, and while the Land Rover began life in the 1970’s as a primitive farmer’s tool, the Ford Bronco itself on the other hand was created in 1966 for one purpose-to allow the average American the means to go out and explore the beauty of their rugged continent, to get in touch with the outdoors in style and comfort.

I realized that while I am unlikely to fully live the life of someone who calls the open spaces of the majestic American West his home, the Bronco could let me experience a little bit of it every time I sit in it.

And so I got to know the answer to the question that I had been asking myself.

I want to own the Bronco because I want to own more than just a capable SUV. I want to own the Bronco because it is made by the people who call this glorious land their home. No Land Cruiser or 4Runner or G-Wagen, no matter how capable has that one intrinsic quality that is so special that it overcomes any comparative shortcoming that the lovely Bronco may theoretically have.

These other attractive options can certainly take me to the wild and often lonely places in comfort and safety but they cannot make me feel a part of those places as the Bronco can.

The Bronco therefore is not only the way to the adventure, it is a part of the experience itself. It allows you to live the adventure and not merely observe it while you sit on a steed that itself arrived from elsewhere.

It is the perfect home-made tool to stir and awaken that spirit of adventure in all who hear and understand it’s call.

Ford is as American as apple pie.

Bronco is the rare embodiment and expression of the spirit of American exploration. You cannot find it in any other SUV, no matter how reliable or exclusive.

I guess at the heart of it and what endears the Bronco to so many of us is that it has that elusive quality of being able to connect us to our wonderful, vast, majestic continent.

And that is why I am buying the Bronco.

———x——x——x———

And also why I suspect many of us are not deterred by the lack of certain creature comforts or amenities that we expect in an average car or SUV. Those details may have been appreciated but are not the deal breakers they would be in an ordinary means of transport. The Bronco, at least for some of us, does not only transport us physically from place to place but also transports us in time. And that is a feature you cannot get in another SUV, even as an option, at any price.

Not every vehicle is born with a soul and that is why we love the lovely Bronco.

786D2F7A-2EDB-4AA6-ADD8-E60CB1E3FE50.jpeg

3F037A91-3676-4460-903E-5A710519B769.jpeg

3383E9D0-00E8-4678-9993-24950355399E.jpeg

7033515E-0900-4E0B-ADA7-70A6853B74E8.jpeg

I may or may not have felt some precipitation on my upper cheek reading this. :)
I feel ya!!

After being in Audi’s and VWs the past 10 years, I necessitate a sporty, fast, vehicle. After 12 years in the Bay Area, I’ve wanted a “get out of Dodge” type of ride and was planning on picking up a used Gen 2 Raptor. Fast, capable and big enough for my family and dog. (Still my back up plan)

Then came along the Bronco. I appreciate you talking about the heritage because I wouldn’t have come up with all of that on my own, but I agree 100%.

I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s and remember my friend’s mom picking him up from elementary school in a Gen 5 with no roof over the rear bench. I thought it was the coolest!

My dad, for a long time, had a Ford Taurus and several Lincoln Towncars (one with a factory car phone!)

1) my wife didn’t want me to get a Raptor, too big and she hated the Raptor logo on the tailgate.
2) 2.7 turbo?! I’ve tuned all of my forces induction Audi and VW’s. So it’s going to be a must to tune the 2.7 and get close to 375/400 HP. So this checks the sporty and fast box.
3) 4X4, this is my escape button to leave the Bay Area amidst social unrest, Covid, traffic etc.
4) I think my 4yo and 2yo will love it, muscley, top off cruising!
5) I can’t wait to do some desert running and backroad trails. Rock crawling? Minor stuff maybe.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's a Bronco thing.. you guys just wouldn't understand ?

No but seriously, I'm not about to write a whole long book here, so I'll try to explain the WHY for me.

1984 Bronco, 351 under the hood. My second vehicle, first was a '78 Pontiac Catalina Safari (400 under hood), so yeah look that one up. ? The Bronco was my dad's purchased brand new in 84. He sold it to me in '88... I know I say sold, but I paid him maybe a few hundred bucks and he let me slide on the rest, so I made out big time.

This is where the love affair with the Bronco started, at the age of 18. It's the first vehicle I put the time and effort into to learn everything about that truck. I could tear apart that engine if I needed. I added a 4" lift in my parent's driveway, added new exhaust, I did it all. And I did it ALL IN MY BRONCO too if you know what I mean ;). My first son came home from the hospital in that Bronco. Too many good memories to list.

From that point on, no other vehicles really did it for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my little 2012 Mustang V6, that car is fun as hell. But I'm not running out to get the next Mustang like I will be for the next Bronco.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This PERFECTLY sums up why I've always been attracted to an off-road SUV but couldn't commit to one until I saw the bronco.

And this is why I'm committed to the bronco... (Finances willing)

Are you sure you're not a Ford employee trying to win our hearts over again??

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If it wasng the bronco i would most likely be looking for a harvester 70ish v8 that i could play with ,the bronco has fallen short of many of my wishes but its better than most imo and with prices of 1st gen out of control why not? I dont think we are going to be dissapointed and i have enjoyed seeing how different everyones choices and uses will be rock on usa.

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve told this story before but the Bronco is a connection to the past for me. I had a mostly on ANd off again relationship with my father growing up, but my fondest memories of him are the weekend trips in his 73 Bronco to my Grandmas farm. Ridin the gravel roads, blastin Bob Seger, feelin at a young age a joy and freedom that gets lost on most of us as we age. I’d like to recapture that with my bronco and a nod to my ole man ... everytime I get in my Bronco it will be a connection to the past and a salute to my Dad...

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I really like the Broncos of the late 60's/early 70's. I wish I would have bought one back then. I now have a second chance and I'm not going to pass it up.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are lots of reasons I want a Bronco (it will be my 4th). Reason #1 I think it represents a great balance of do everything SUV that was originally intended and loved in the prior generations. #2 I think it will have enough creature comforts to make it a fun weekend overland this for my wife, the dogs and sometimes my college age kids to enjoy. By the way, I have only owned one import. A handed down Toyota Camry. It was OK. I have owned lots of Japanese motorcycles, because there was not a competitive US manufacturer building something I could consider. Not that I wouldn’t buy an import, just a U.S. first kind of guy for most of my purchases when possible.

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To me, what's special about it is it was designed to earn its keep. I remember the work vehicles from the 60s and 70s, and even the muscle cars of that era, that were designed for one thing and did it well. Ford is finally getting back to some of their roots and producing a vehicle that does a very specific thing well. Not just try to appeal to every buyer on the market.
Very true. Some of the most beloved vehicles of all time, like the 911 for instance, are targeted at a few but touch the hearts of many.

OP
OP
zaki

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I may or may not have felt some precipitation on my upper cheek reading this. :)
I feel ya!!

After being in Audi’s and VWs the past 10 years, I necessitate a sporty, fast, vehicle. After 12 years in the Bay Area, I’ve wanted a “get out of Dodge” type of ride and was planning on picking up a used Gen 2 Raptor. Fast, capable and big enough for my family and dog. (Still my back up plan)

Then came along the Bronco. I appreciate you talking about the heritage because I wouldn’t have come up with all of that on my own, but I agree 100%.

I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s and remember my friend’s mom picking him up from elementary school in a Gen 5 with no roof over the rear bench. I thought it was the coolest!

My dad, for a long time, had a Ford Taurus and several Lincoln Towncars (one with a factory car phone!)

1) my wife didn’t want me to get a Raptor, too big and she hated the Raptor logo on the tailgate.
2) 2.7 turbo?! I’ve tuned all of my forces induction Audi and VW’s. So it’s going to be a must to tune the 2.7 and get close to 375/400 HP. So this checks the sporty and fast box.
3) 4X4, this is my escape button to leave the Bay Area amidst social unrest, Covid, traffic etc.
4) I think my 4yo and 2yo will love it, muscley, top off cruising!
5) I can’t wait to do some desert running and backroad trails. Rock crawling? Minor stuff maybe.

Thanks for sharing!
Wonderful! Beautifully said and very convincing reasons all!?
Sponsored