First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4 Door Outer Banks 2.7L Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok , Well , took me a little bit , few days to get this done. I'm putting this on here for those who are adventurous enough to want to tackle this small task, No Pun intended , well maybe a little intended. So there is some other options around but my goal was to design something functional but sturdy and useful in application of other task. I also accomplished this with only spending about 200 bucks total. I'll try to remember each part I used for the pictures following but you can alter some parts as needed and still accomplish the same result. Its not a hard mod by any means.

This is how it started off with a bracket to mount to the trail site.
Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco01

I marked the profile I wanted and then decided to move it a bit before I cut it roughly to shape. The stock used was I think 2 and a half inch aluminum and it was, I believe 3/16 inch thick. I used aluminum over steel due to it only corroding and not rusting and delaminating. I lined up the bottom with the line on the bottom of the inside oval of the trail site and then used a black marker to mark the holes to drill on the inside of the trail site. I wanted it to follow the body line but still be far enough away to not rub the paint with any applied torsion from the engine and chassis. The mounting hardware is a 8 mm stainless steel bolt I think its 30 mm maybe 36mm long and the head style is hex. You could use a pan head Phillips style as well. I just like the Hex for the look on the bronco. The head in inserted on the inside of the site and the nut on the outside. On the other side in between the aluminum bar and the trail site, the first washer to go on and is a rubber washer , solid rubber , this is an anti vibration protector cause aluminum is soft and this will minimize cracking. Next is another washer but this time its Teflon , the reason is the Teflon will reduce the damage from slippage on the rubber, cause the rubber washer will grip it and the site better. The next piece to go on is the aluminum bar , this is the unfinished piece but this same process is done with the finished bracket so nothing changes. I'm just explaining it now. Then after the bar , the next is a stainless steel washer. Next and the last part is a stainless steel Nylon locking nut. Obviously so it does not backoff and you do not need to use red or blue thread locker.
Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco02

This is the finished piece before being painted. I used a grinder to get the edges just right, and then I used the wire wheel on the grinder to give it a little polish on the edges so it's not a risk for breaking my line if it grazes it for some reason.

Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco03

This is the other side on the bracket.
Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco04

This is the painted bracket. I did not have anything locally to make the bond better on aluminum and it really does not take paint well. Maybe one day I'll get them Cera coated for a durable finish but I figured for now , matt-black is good enough.
Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco13

This is the mostly finished product. Shown in travel mode. Angled down to just clear the roofline. Rear lock not in place so the reels can be locked into the pole holder.

Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco05

This is just showing that not only can you use the pole holders to travel but you can also turn them around with your nose facing the surf and use them to hold the pole.
Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco06

Another closer shot.
Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco08

Inside View

Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco09

Rear view

Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco10

Ok this is a close up of what I used to mount to the bracket. The first thing mounted is a Railblaza Side Port mount which is a starport design. This has a smaller profile and I already use these on my Kayaks. The next piece is the Railblaza Pole Holder that locks into the starport side port so I can instantly transfer the holders from the bronco to my kayak. The holder has a rear backstop so you can keep the pole from passing through it and use it to fish from, with the holder turned towards the water. It has a twist collar to allow you to lock the reel into the holder so it can not slide out. This is typically used for trolling baits but here it's just used so a 400 dollar setup does not end up on the highway. The grey ish looking piece at the bottom is the lock to unlock or lock the pole holder to the side port.

Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco11

This is showing them both deployed as if I would be fishing on the surf with my nose towards the waterline. Rear stops in place so the pole never touches the Bronco and scratch my paint =).

Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco12

Hope you enjoyed this mod , its cheap , very efficient and the poles ride really well. The fish holders do have a hole to put a lanyard on them and attach the reel to the holder. I plan on using that with some bungee cord to give some resistance to any unwanted bouncing I might have from potholes etc. I'll just loop the bungee around the reel post and attach it back to itself and that will completely secure it.

I also have some other cheap mods on my You tube channel , I plan on doing some other fabrications in the future so please subscribe and I'll get some of my other mods on here as well in the future. Thank you for all the support.

OBX Hatman - YouTube

Bronco07.jpg
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ok , Well , took me a little bit , few days to get this done. I'm putting this on here for those who are adventurous enough to want to tackle this small task, No Pun intended , well maybe a little intended. So there is some other options around but my goal was to design something functional but sturdy and useful in application of other task. I also accomplished this with only spending about 200 bucks total. I'll try to remember each part I used for the pictures following but you can alter some parts as needed and still accomplish the same result. Its not a hard mod by any means.

This is how it started off with a bracket to mount to the trail site.
Ford Bronco Bronco OBX Model Fishing Mod DIY Bronco07

I marked the profile I wanted and then decided to move it a bit before I cut it roughly to shape. The stock used was I think 2 and a half inch aluminum and it was, I believe 3/16 inch thick. I used aluminum over steel due to it only corroding and not rusting and delaminating. I lined up the bottom with the line on the bottom of the inside oval of the trail site and then used a black marker to mark the holes to drill on the inside of the trail site. I wanted it to follow the body line but still be far enough away to not rub the paint with any applied torsion from the engine and chassis. The mounting hardware is a 8 mm stainless steel bolt I think its 30 mm maybe 36mm long and the head style is hex. You could use a pan head Phillips style as well. I just like the Hex for the look on the bronco. The head in inserted on the inside of the site and the nut on the outside. On the other side in between the aluminum bar and the trail site, the first washer to go on and is a rubber washer , solid rubber , this is an anti vibration protector cause aluminum is soft and this will minimize cracking. Next is another washer but this time its Teflon , the reason is the Teflon will reduce the damage from slippage on the rubber, cause the rubber washer will grip it and the site better. The next piece to go on is the aluminum bar , this is the unfinished piece but this same process is done with the finished bracket so nothing changes. I'm just explaining it now. Then after the bar , the next is a stainless steel washer. Next and the last part is a stainless steel Nylon locking nut. Obviously so it does not backoff and you do not need to use red or blue thread locker.

This is the finished piece before being painted. I used a grinder to get the edges just right, and then I used the wire wheel on the grinder to give it a little polish on the edges so it's not a risk for breaking my line if it grazes it for some reason.

This is the other side on the bracket.

This is the painted bracket. I did not have anything locally to make the bond better on aluminum and it really does not take paint well. Maybe one day I'll get them Cera coated for a durable finish but I figured for now , matt-black is good enough.

This is the mostly finished product. Shown in travel mode. Angled down to just clear the roofline. Rear lock not in place so the reels can be locked into the pole holder.

This is just showing that not only can you use the pole holders to travel but you can also turn them around with your nose facing the surf and use them to hold the pole.

Another closer shot.

Inside View

Rear view

Ok this is a close up of what I used to mount to the bracket. The first thing mounted is a Railblaza Side Port mount which is a starport design. This has a smaller profile and I already use these on my Kayaks. The next piece is the Railblaza Pole Holder that locks into the starport side port so I can instantly transfer the holders from the bronco to my kayak. The holder has a rear backstop so you can keep the pole from passing through it and use it to fish from, with the holder turned towards the water. It has a twist collar to allow you to lock the reel into the holder so it can not slide out. This is typically used for trolling baits but here it's just used so a 400 dollar setup does not end up on the highway. The grey ish looking piece at the bottom is the lock to unlock or lock the pole holder to the side port.

This is showing them both deployed as if I would be fishing on the surf with my nose towards the waterline. Rear stops in place so the pole never touches the Bronco and scratch my paint =).

Hope you enjoyed this mod , its cheap , very efficient and the poles ride really well. The fish holders do have a hole to put a lanyard on them and attach the reel to the holder. I plan on using that with some bungee cord to give some resistance to any unwanted bouncing I might have from potholes etc. I'll just loop the bungee around the reel post and attach it back to itself and that will completely secure it.

I also have some other cheap mods on my You tube channel , I plan on doing some other fabrications in the future so please subscribe and I'll get some of my other mods on here as well in the future. Thank you for all the support.

OBX Hatman - YouTube

That turned out amazing!

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That is the funniest thing I have seen. Love all the thought that went into it. Well done! I too don’t do fishing to need this.

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice ingenuity! Great fabrication too.

Now get you a couple of carbon fiber rods, make a bracket for the top of the windshield to hold the end of the rods, then you've got yourself a pair of limb risers as well!

Nice work!

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also I would like to point out that doing a mod like this enables a whole host of other options. Railblaza makes lights that can supply lighting while working on the bronco under the hood that are long lasting and battery powered , they possibly have solar powered as well. You can use the mount for small flags , you can use the mount for flag whips, if not specifically having to be in a certain spot. You can make a platform from the same ones that you mount sonars on and have a place to put a OBD reader while working on the Bronco or a laptop to see information while working on the Bronco. You could run a small circuit up to it from your mirror light post and have a bracket to mount two more forward spinning flood or spot lights. When you have a somewhat universal mount like Railblaza , Scottys , or Yak Gear Track. This stuff is designed to ride on a boat in chop without breaking, so it opens the door to a lot of possibilities.

j1mfish

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion Hyb, 2003 Dodge Durango 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

zinc chromate spray primer will help with aluminum to paint adhesion

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
zinc chromate spray primer will help with aluminum to paint adhesion
Awesome brother , I will look into it. I was talking with a friend of mine who mentioned etching spray paint as a primer. I assume this is the same sort of thing?

OP
OP

jharrell3623

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice ingenuity! Great fabrication too.

Now get you a couple of carbon fiber rods, make a bracket for the top of the windshield to hold the end of the rods, then you've got yourself a pair of limb risers as well!

Nice work!
I will have to keep that in mind for when we start doing any overlanding and camping. Great tip. Thank you.
Sponsored