First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So i currently own a 2018 base model Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine and i am torn between trading it in for a 2 door Bronco or just wait and get the 2024 Tacoma thats coming out, which apparently will be using a turbo engine as well. I truly would love to get a Bronco but i have never had a turbo based engine before and i would like to know if any of these Bronco engines are worth it?
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You got a stick?
And are you getting a stick?

The Turbo isn't really an issue....

OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You got a stick?
And are you getting a stick?

The Turbo isn't really an issue....
No its an automatic and will stick with automatic. A door Bronco just seems like a fun vehicle so thats why i would like something different lol

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have not had issues with the turbo (knocks on wood), both are proven engines...

Sponsored

Designkid

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kinda comes down to if you need a truck bed. That’s really the only thing I miss from my Tacoma. Bronco is better in pretty much every way other than that.

Bruzer22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A Bronco is not a pickup. If you use your Taco in any capacity as a pickup, you will not like the Bronco. There are a few folks here that ditched a truck for a Bronco, then went back to a truck.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So i currently own a 2018 base model Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine and i am torn between trading it in for a 2 door Bronco or just wait and get the 2024 Tacoma thats coming out, which apparently will be using a turbo engine as well. I truly would love to get a Bronco but i have never had a turbo based engine before and i would like to know if any of these Bronco engines are worth it?

I had both a 2016 Tacoma Manual Transmission and then also a 2017 Tacoma Automatic Transmission.

(within 2000 miles the 2016 had it's transmission replaced as the shift stick would just go totally limp, after much time at the dealership, Toyota replaced the transmission.... I then sold it back to the dealer.... With the 2017 automatic (my first automatic in my life) it shifted like hell. Super clunky, after 1500 miles i took it in and the transmission fluid from the factory was 2 quarts low... So I sold it.)

Regardless of the above I truly hated the lagging and slowness of the tacoma motor. Jump in a Bronco and it will be a bullet compared to the tacoma...seriously !!

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To echo what others have said here, the engines in the bronco (2.3 or 2.7) are really really good. in fact, the single biggest reason I didn't get a Taco a couple years ago when i was shopping was exclusively because of the engine in them. Utterly atrocious and underpowered engine to put into what is otherwise one of the best trucks you can buy.

Try the bronco, you'll love it.

OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What do you want/need because as someone who had a Tacoma before my Bronco, they are wildly different vehicles. It's apples to oranges to compare and SUV to a truck.
What do you want/need because as someone who had a Tacoma before my Bronco, they are wildly different vehicles. It's apples to oranges to compare and SUV to a truck.
Well i use my Taco as a daily driver and would probably use the Bronco for the same reason. Im not really into all that off roading stuff lol but a Bronco is a Bronco and i would love something different.

Sponsored
OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Kinda comes down to if you need a truck bed. That’s really the only thing I miss from my Tacoma. Bronco is better in pretty much every way other than that.
Oh no i could care less about that lol the Taco is just my daily. I just wanted a small truck with a lift. Will do the same with the Bronco if i get one.

OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A Bronco is not a pickup. If you use your Taco in any capacity as a pickup, you will not like the Bronco. There are a few folks here that ditched a truck for a Bronco, then went back to a truck.
I actually dont use it as a truck lmao it is just my daily.

OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had both a 2016 Tacoma Manual Transmission and then also a 2017 Tacoma Automatic Transmission.

(within 2000 miles the 2016 had it's transmission replaced as the shift stick would just go totally limp, after much time at the dealership, Toyota replaced the transmission.... I then sold it back to the dealer.... With the 2017 automatic (my first automatic in my life) it shifted like hell. Super clunky, after 1500 miles i took it in and the transmission fluid from the factory was 2 quarts low... So I sold it.)

Regardless of the above I truly hated the lagging and slowness of the tacoma motor. Jump in a Bronco and it will be a bullet compared to the tacoma...seriously !!
Yeah thats what i hate about my Taco, the transmission is pretty crappy lol i feel like that will be the only issue i will have in the long run but hopefully not.

OP
OP

basetaco2.7

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
To echo what others have said here, the engines in the bronco (2.3 or 2.7) are really really good. in fact, the single biggest reason I didn't get a Taco a couple years ago when i was shopping was exclusively because of the engine in them. Utterly atrocious and underpowered engine to put into what is otherwise one of the best trucks you can buy.

Try the bronco, you'll love it.
Yup ive heard good things about the 2.7 and thats what i would like to get in a Bronco.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah thats what i hate about my Taco, the transmission is pretty crappy lol i feel like that will be the only issue i will have in the long run but hopefully not.
In all honesty if they add the turbo that motor may be pretty sweet !!
Sponsored