Bronchiosaurus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I know I'm not the only one that noticed that FORD was strategically targeting Jeeps foothold in the overland community, more with the Sport model than the "regular" BRONCO, at least in the teasers. However, I've owned Jeeps in the past that I used for overlanding, with rooftop tents, awnings and fridge/freezer in the back and that being said, I'm REALLY excited to see the options FORD is releasing from the factory (if they aren't as expensive as aftermarket mods) with the Broncos 200+ accessory catalog including ARB compressors, tents, awnings and even a fridge/freezer that will be available from FORD. That being said, I don't know why FORD and other dealers mark up their accessories as much as they do when they know the aftermarket community will be much less, that paired with the fact that FORD has the means to mass produce them and cut cost, while still being American made. I know it typically takes a year from concept to mass production with aftermarket accessories, so having racks, mounts, and everything available HOPEFULLY at the time of release will be awesome! I also can't wait to see what SEMA will bring for the BRONCO and the fact that they have an overlanding specific section now, due to popularity. I'm thinking of making a Mod for the center console grab handle, where I unbolt it and replace it with a mount for a CB Radio or a rifle holder for my M4 rifle that I use to dispatch varmints and coyotes on our farm. I'd love to hear from you guys, what you think and hopefully see some overlanding builds, pics and ideas and concepts here soon!
Sponsored

wander

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 E250 Super Duty Sportsmobile
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dealers probably know they can mark up an accessory which they install because history shows the consumer will pay the extra cost to have it 'done' and warrantied with the vehicle.However, I will probably research and choose my accessories aftermarket and either install them myself or have my local overlanding outfitter install them.

OP
OP
Bronchiosaurus

Bronchiosaurus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dealers probably know they can mark up an accessory which they install because history shows the consumer will pay the extra cost to have it 'done' and warrantied with the vehicle.However, I will probably research and choose my accessories aftermarket and either install them myself or have my local overlanding outfitter install them.
Agreed

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bronchiosaurus

Bronchiosaurus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm just guessing here, but I doubt the dealership makes anywhere near the amount of money on OEM upgrades and partnered accessories that aftermarket manufacturers do. Most people I have ever known with Jeeps and other off road vehicles go with aftermarket parts, lifts, etc and either install it themselves or get a local custom shop to do so. All I'm saying is that I wish ford would put the time into the factory upgrades and accessories unlike MOPAR that only offers limited accessories for the Jeep Wrangler, in which they may have done since they are saying they have 300+ accessories for it. I know they are likely weighing their foothold in the industry vs. aftermarket manufacturers, but they have a unique opportunity given that this is a brand new vehicle that aftermarket manufacturers are going to have to buy, design, prototype, test and then mass produce, which typically takes a year. If Ford came out the gate with a good percentage of the upgrades and parts people want, they could establish a foothold, being the "only shop in town" with available parts and upgrades and likely make a pretty penny, if their parts/accessories are comparable to aftermarket pricing. They have the means and money to mass produce, so why not do something else no one has ever done and offer factory stuff at a reasonable price. Especially if you want to unseat the still current king (until we see sales and growth) of the off road, Jeep Wrangler. I'm hoping it is so.

rigel

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan murano 2017
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I know I'm not the only one that noticed that FORD was strategically targeting Jeeps foothold in the overland community, more with the Sport model than the "regular" BRONCO, at least in the teasers. However, I've owned Jeeps in the past that I used for overlanding, with rooftop tents, awnings and fridge/freezer in the back and that being said, I'm REALLY excited to see the options FORD is releasing from the factory (if they aren't as expensive as aftermarket mods) with the Broncos 200+ accessory catalog including ARB compressors, tents, awnings and even a fridge/freezer that will be available from FORD. That being said, I don't know why FORD and other dealers mark up their accessories as much as they do when they know the aftermarket community will be much less, that paired with the fact that FORD has the means to mass produce them and cut cost, while still being American made. I know it typically takes a year from concept to mass production with aftermarket accessories, so having racks, mounts, and everything available HOPEFULLY at the time of release will be awesome! I also can't wait to see what SEMA will bring for the BRONCO and the fact that they have an overlanding specific section now, due to popularity. I'm thinking of making a Mod for the center console grab handle, where I unbolt it and replace it with a mount for a CB Radio or a rifle holder for my M4 rifle that I use to dispatch varmints and coyotes on our farm. I'd love to hear from you guys, what you think and hopefully see some overlanding builds, pics and ideas and concepts here soon!
I totally agree with you and hope they have options available at launch!

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just guessing here, but I doubt the dealership makes anywhere near the amount of money on OEM upgrades and partnered accessories that aftermarket manufacturers do. Most people I have ever known with Jeeps and other off road vehicles go with aftermarket parts, lifts, etc and either install it themselves or get a local custom shop to do so. All I'm saying is that I wish ford would put the time into the factory upgrades and accessories unlike MOPAR that only offers limited accessories for the Jeep Wrangler, in which they may have done since they are saying they have 300+ accessories for it. I know they are likely weighing their foothold in the industry vs. aftermarket manufacturers, but they have a unique opportunity given that this is a brand new vehicle that aftermarket manufacturers are going to have to buy, design, prototype, test and then mass produce, which typically takes a year. If Ford came out the gate with a good percentage of the upgrades and parts people want, they could establish a foothold, being the "only shop in town" with available parts and upgrades and likely make a pretty penny, if their parts/accessories are comparable to aftermarket pricing. They have the means and money to mass produce, so why not do something else no one has ever done and offer factory stuff at a reasonable price. Especially if you want to unseat the still current king (until we see sales and growth) of the off road, Jeep Wrangler. I'm hoping it is so.
What we're more likely to see is Ford having partnered with big name aftermarket companies. It makes the most sense from a financial perspective. The aftermarket companies are generally very good at what they focus on having put the bulk of R&D work into other similar products. Ford can "bless" those products with their branding and enter the market with a wide array of options. The aftermarket companies get the early access to the data they need from Ford and can get a head start on offering their full line of accessories beyond those they licensed to Ford.

OP
OP
Bronchiosaurus

Bronchiosaurus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What we're more likely to see is Ford having partnered with big name aftermarket companies. It makes the most sense from a financial perspective. The aftermarket companies are generally very good at what they focus on having put the bulk of R&D work into other similar products. Ford can "bless" those products with their branding and enter the market with a wide array of options. The aftermarket companies get the early access to the data they need from Ford and can get a head start on offering their full line of accessories beyond those they licensed to Ford.
I agree and it seems like from what I've seen from the accessories that have been shown that that is to be true.
Sponsored