mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lincoln MKZ hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on overlanding in my 4 door, but will be building up a small utility trailer that will have a rooftop tent on it. That way I can take what I need, set up Basecamp and go explore. I'm looking at taking a m1102 trailer and converting it to what I need. It will be similar to the xventure xv-2
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I plan on overlanding in my 4 door, but will be building up a small utility trailer that will have a rooftop tent on it. That way I can take what I need, set up Basecamp and go explore. I'm looking at taking a m1102 trailer and converting it to what I need. It will be similar to the xventure xv-2
Awesome! What is your budget for that?

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I joined because of this thread, then noticed it's been inactive for a while. Hope bumping an old thread is ok. I think camping out of a Bronco will work great, it's one of my plans. Not sure what overlanding is, but I guess it's doing what we called "car camping" but in more remote areas for longer periods. The OP is probably long gone, but yes, I've done this for decades and it can be done in a variety of vehicles. I rode a motorcycle down Mexico and across the continent one time, camping the whole time. Have camped out of a Mazda B2000, 4Runner, F-150 too. THey all work, as will the Bronco. I would not mess with a roof tent though, that seems like a silly solution looking for a problem.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I joined because of this thread, then noticed it's been inactive for a while. Hope bumping an old thread is ok. I think camping out of a Bronco will work great, it's one of my plans. Not sure what overlanding is, but I guess it's doing what we called "car camping" but in more remote areas for longer periods. The OP is probably long gone, but yes, I've done this for decades and it can be done in a variety of vehicles. I rode a motorcycle down Mexico and across the continent one time, camping the whole time. Have camped out of a Mazda B2000, 4Runner, F-150 too. THey all work, as will the Bronco. I would not mess with a roof tent though, that seems like a silly solution looking for a problem.
Here is my favorite overlander:

I think you would really get along with this guy.

Sponsored

ausherpharmd

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is a great series on youtube called The Road Chose Me. Tons of videos about overloading. The guy uses a Jeep but that does not matter.
Yeah, YouTube has lots of people who have started living that lifestyle and give lots of great advice. Also, there's lots of free stuff. You don't have to pay.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Now that is cool! I want one for my Bronco. (y)

Ford Bronco Bronco Overlanding for Beginners: Request for Advice to

Uncle Gump

First Name
Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I haven't even looked up the specs for this one... but it did catch my eye.

It's really a spin on a teardrop camper... I see something very similar in my future.

Ford Bronco Bronco Overlanding for Beginners: Request for Advice 1610068614160

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well that is not nearly as tempting anymore. :(:D

Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Having traveled across the continent and down Mexico on a BMW motorcycle, I know a simple tent works for me.

My rig in 1989, 4000 miles down Mexico with my girlfriend, camping the whole way.
6289366824_9390d53b2d_b.jpg

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Having traveled across the continent and down Mexico on a BMW motorcycle, I know a simple tent works for me.

My rig in 1989, 4000 miles down Mexico with my girlfriend, camping the whole way.
6289366824_9390d53b2d_b.jpg
Dan (the guy in the video) bought a Jeep for $5K (the 2 door one in the picture) and drove from Alaska to the southern tip of South America with it. He slept in a ground tent. He sold the Jeep for $5K at the end.

He was worried about the Jeep not making it, so his back up plan was to abandon it and get a motorcycle if necessary.

For his Africa trip (I think it lasted almost 3 years), he ended up buying a used 4 door Jeep and putting in that pop up camper in it.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah, I toyed with the idea of doing the Pan-American trip, when I took this picture. I had just gotten out of the Navy. But ran out of time, had to get back home to start college.
Sponsored